Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 17:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread

Restoring a Santro , and that too in this shape? Have you lost your lost your mind? Looks like YES!

Rated this thread 5*, I am sure this is going to be real roller coaster ride for you and interesting read for us!
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:04   #17
BHPian

I am a proud owner of a clean 2000 Hyundai Santro and I can't even begin to look at this car. Best of luck to you guys!
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 18:27   #18
BHPian

Kudos to you Brothers !!

Myself being an Owner of a similar Santro (2002) Zip plus am so keen in seeing the developments.

Cheers & All the very best in your journey
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 20:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

I admire your courage. But honestly, why did you pick a 2001 vintage car to be restored? In another year it will be past its sell-by date if NGT were to have its way.
Do you think you can keep this car, even if you do manage to somehow pull it together?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 20:25   #20
BHPian

It takes someone who is absolutely bonkers to embark on such a mission. In my book though, it's the crazy guys who have my respect! . As a soon to be ex owner of a pristine 2002 santro zip drive, Godspeed guys! Oh and did someone mention the need for a donor car
2legit2quit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 23:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks everyone, we appreciate your support! I'll keep on updating the thread as we continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I admire your courage. But honestly, why did you pick a 2001 vintage car to be restored? In another year it will be past its sell-by date if NGT were to have its way.
Do you think you can keep this car, even if you do manage to somehow pull it together?
Hi joybhowmik, as I mentioned in the post, this is a hobby project, haven't thought about the profitability of it and if I did, this won't be here at all. We all do stupid things knowingly some times, people might call it madness, but still we continue! why? Because our mind says so! similar case here I believe! After completing it, we'll be driving it around for a while, proudly!
vsaravind007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 23:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Glued to this thread. Looking at the condition of the car, it's simply commendable that you both took up the restoration. We had a similar 2001 white Santro LS. Even I learnt driving on our Santro and loved it very much.

Keep up the good work, and it will be really worth to see the final product. The frame for one has become non existent. It's obvious that you would most probably need a newer body.

One thing which always did let our car down, was the fuel pump failure. Apart from that it is a beautiful product. Sad to see, why people treat such nice machines with so much disdain.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Aravind, you and your brother are doing things that only most of us can secretly day-dream of, while idling our time away behind a desk. Thank you for taking the plunge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
We had a usual talk with the owner and I found out that the car was simply sitting there since the past 6 years! Yes, 6 solid years! The reason for leaving the car there, in that condition was plain stupid – they bought another car (an Alto!!) and it was easier to drive . All the paper work was current, including the insurance! The car never met with an accident, the owner said (we're going to find out soon!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post

Leaving a santro to die for an alto ? seriousely ? If you find this owner again give him a thumps down from my side . And once done, invite him to the passenger seat and show him what sin did he commit.

Asish.
Putting my experience with the 2004 Santro and Asish's post together, I too agree that the excuse given by the Owner for not using the vehicle is frivolous.

Did you get ownership transferred? Does it make sense to get a NOC from the Police before you do? Looking at that front left cracked bumper, I get the creeps. You have mentioned that you'd find out soon whether the vehicle was in an accident, any update on that?
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 12:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Did you get ownership transferred? Does it make sense to get a NOC from the Police before you do? Looking at that front left cracked bumper, I get the creeps. You have mentioned that you'd find out soon whether the vehicle was in an accident, any update on that?
Hi nijelj, The paper work with the vehicle is clean, they were even paying for the insurance all these years! We applied for the ownership change and awaiting the updated RC. Unfortunately, there are signs of accident on the vehicle, driver side door has been replaced, signs of putty repairs on the right fenders and there are welding spots covered with putty and paint near the front right suspension mounts. You're right about the damage on the front bumpers, however it was caused during the car's resting time. Someone bumped a scooter into it

There is a mistake I made in the post, the car is a 2003 December model, years got mixed up as my other car is a 2001 model!
vsaravind007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 14:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a mistake I made in the post, the car is a 2003 December model, years got mixed up as my other car is a 2001 model!
Have updated the opening post to reflect the correct year.

Good luck with the restoration, looks like you'll need it
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 14:38   #26
BHPian

Aravind, this is simply impressive. I don't mean the car, but what you are doing to it. This is going to be quite an adventure with lots of learning thrown in. I guess, after this you and your brother will be Hyundai Santro restoration experts.
I will be watching this thread with interest.

I hope you do not restore it too much to original. How about some bold sporty colors? Eh? ;-)

Hey, by the way, not that any of what I am going to say next should matter to the restoration and second ownership of this car, but let me get this straight.

The first owner buys this car in Dec 2003 (I also noticed that it is an 'AA' compared to your existing car's 'T'), uses it for about 6+ years till 2009, and decides that his Alto (which I presume is the one in the background, in the first picture) is 'better' and so stops using this one completely? They use their cherished 'first car' for only 6 years, then start using a not-at-all superior Alto, and are also overcome with extreme attachment and nostalgia over their 'first car' enough to leave it in the garden to stand and rust? Well, I would've bought that story if the replacement wasn't an Alto, but, say, a Swift ZXi or a Hyundai Getz! And that particular Alto doesn't even seem like a top-end version. Then again, I fail to understand how even an Alto Vxi would be so superior to a Santro, that you just leave the Santro in a vegetative state. That sounds like punishment, not like first car-attachment.

Alas, I guess no one in Team-Bhp will ever understand that owner :(

However, since all the technicalities and paper work have no mysteries, I think, from a grease monkey perspective, it is all fine. So, all the very best from me, brother!
Miel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Even i cant take that story from the first owner. Maybe there is something fishy about it. Maybe a hit and run issue etc etc. Inquire about it with what all info you got brother ,just to be sure. But hats off to you both in any case for this daring project. If you need any help from any Hyundai dealers or mechanics or workshops in Trivandrum PM me. I know quiet a few people there.
I am waiting for your body parts revival episode which should be the real challenge. Can i add one more to it, work on a roll cage for this as in any case you have stripped it down. Are you intending to keep it in full originality or what?
ram_hyundai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:22   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Hello BHPians!

I’ve been here reading the forums since a long time and I had nothing on my own to post up until now!

Dayum. You guys are mind numbing crazy. I wish i lived closer to you guys.

The shell is rotten to the core. IMO ditch it, make a tube frame and drop the drivetrain in the rear. Use suspension, brakes and hubs from this car, and have a blast.

On a lighter note, i think the 20k you guys paid was too much. you could have saved some VIT-M there.
racerdabba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:57   #29
BHPian

I actually ignored the thread first after initial glance on its title. Restoration of a Santro, ... who will do and why?

After going through, feeling is of amazement and admiration. Looking forward to see the end product (in photographs). The journey would be challenging as a rotten body shell is not easy to deal with. My best wishes.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The first owner buys this car in Dec 2003 (I also noticed that it is an 'AA' compared to your existing car's 'T'), uses it for about 6+ years till 2009, and decides that his Alto (which I presume is the one in the background, in the first picture) is 'better' and so stops using this one completely?
========
So, all the very best from me, brother!
Quote:
Even i cant take that story from the first owner. Maybe there is something fishy about it. Maybe a hit and run issue etc etc. Inquire about it with what all info you got brother ,just to be sure.
Hi Miel & ram_hyundai, exactly my thoughts at first! But after talking with the owner, who happens to be a doctor, my doubts were cleared. Both of his children are settled abroad and he is in his early 80's now. During his daughter's marriage time, this car simply refused to start one morning - the infamous fuel pump issue, which they sorted out later after the marriage. This made them lost their attachment with the car I guess! This car doesn't have a power steering and driving it is 'tough' according to him. We later on verified that there are no cases against the vehicle. We have an online portal here in Kerala where we can check the case status(if any) of vehicles registered here. This is the portal: http://trivandrumdistrictcourt.gov.in/

No, we're not going to restore it to its 100% originality, we're planning to do a bit of customization. But restoring the car's structural integrity is our top priority now. Once it has been sorted out, we'll be working on the aesthetics of the car. By looking at the shape of it, its going to be a far cry!

Thank you for the encouragement everyone! We'll be speeding it up
vsaravind007 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks