Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2006, 03:32   #46
Senior - BHPian

Recognise this car?

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd September 2006 at 03:34.
Old 22nd September 2006, 03:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Pontiac Firefly 1990-91!
Old 22nd September 2006, 06:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

The one shown below is a GEO metro as sold in the US, but the Firefly was identical and for the Canadian market. Also known as the Suzi Swift.

Essentially its the Esteem chassis or platform which has been chopped and reinforced.
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:28   #49
BHPian

i didnt know geo metros came in convertable form.

@elf what about chopping that golden getz that you might be driving?

i agree about the satisfaction part, i made a 2-wheel drive bicycle(from my sisters bike and she still hates me for it) it couldnt turn because both the wheels were spinning at the same speed and the chain came off all the time but every time i rode it it gave me that felling that i accomplished something.
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:32   #50
elf
BANNED

@speedzak: Moron...???!!! Moron...???!!! Moron...???!!! (add indignant expression here). I'd like to think of myself as an inspired tinkerer.

@Mpower: Thanks for the input. I already know the car. May even do that one instead.

@heelntoe: Check my garage. Think you're confusing me with viper, who's got a golden Getz. Am a sedan man - always have been. To me, a car without a boot is already chopped up. You got the sentiment right though.

@gr8guzzler: Thanks for the RTO Rules man. IOU a drink, at the very least.

For the others, they're available here in case you need them:
Department of Road Transport & Highways, Govt of India
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
@heelntoe: Check my garage. Think you're confusing me with viper, who's got a golden Getz. Am a sedan man - always have been. To me, a car without a boot is already chopped up. You got the sentiment right though.
i know that (i even know how fast you drive it) but i was refering to your post in the get well soon viper thread
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:41   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Elf, Leaving aside the San Storm humour and on a serious note....If you want a hobby, I would really recommend buying a used Gypsy / Mahindra Classic for cheap (30 - 50 grand) and then rebuilding it.

It suits your requirement perfect since you will have a convertible, you will have some tinkering to do....and within a certain budget, you can customise it and ATLEAST have something that is nice to own.

A chop job is only a poser. It will leave you with a headache.
Old 22nd September 2006, 11:43   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
is it possible to chop the roof only of the zen itself. i want it like webasto sunroofs. the 400 series sort. i have a zen which is mostly a spare one. what i want to do is chop the entire top and put a manual softtop kind of thing still there. no chopping the a and b pillars. something like in the pic attached. dont want to spend a lot.

no inputs ??????????
Old 22nd September 2006, 12:13   #54
elf
BANNED

@heelntoe: Thanks - for a second there you had me worried about my image on the forum. It's a nice car, but it probably ain't for me. Although whacking Viper's Getz when he can't chase me sounds like fun.

@GTO: Appreciate the thought. However, jeeps / gypsies are too rough around the edges for me to truly enjoy - they're damn bumpy.
Drove a cousin's brand new Gypsy last year, from my place to the restaurant (15 min away). It had a really nice free flow. Couldn't wait to drive it. After 10 min, couldn't wait to get out. So much so, that I called for my car after dinner & drove home in that!
I also owned an MM540 soft top earlier - too damn bumpy again. Call me a pansy boy if you like, but I'd like the refinement of a car - it doesn't jar my senses as much.

@jesal: Nice sunroof. Not for me though.

Here's a little story:
Ages back, I saw a gentleman with his family (wife & 2 kids on the tonneau) driving a Porsche 911 convertible outside Century Bazaar, Worli. We had stopped at a traffic signal & he was yelling into his phone in Gujarati. I wanna be that Gujrati dude. A Porsche would be nice, but it's gotta be a car.

Last edited by elf : 22nd September 2006 at 12:16.
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:40   #55
SRK
Senior - BHPian

elf..
I think you want to have a ride that is made by you in your spare time..
It should be topless,the work quality has to the best available,..And in the end you want it to run on road with RTO permission??
Is there anything I got wrong??
If yes please answer where and why ??

Ok I have something for you that you missed or forgot..
Its a post by a4_attitiude.. here:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...s-here-21.html

In the post it was said to be availaible at Vitese's showroom and they are selling it for 10 laks..
Now they can sell it only if they have RTO permission...
so you can get in touch with them for RTO formalities..

I think your project will get you the satisfaction you are looking for..
Do we get to ride in it???
Also After completing this project you should start one for an automatic roof....

Last edited by SRK : 22nd September 2006 at 18:44.
Old 22nd September 2006, 19:21   #56
elf
BANNED

SRK: You're a darling & a fine human being, simply because you exhibit an exemplary ability to read.
Love the Swift convertible, although not too happy with the press buttons running down the side. The problem is also the 10 lakh price.

Also, don't think Vitesse will be too forthcoming with details on getting around the RTO hassles.

However, am trying to schedule a meet with an RTO senior officer next week, to yakk with him on the idea.
Old 22nd September 2006, 21:46   #57
BHPian

even if you had the money you still would not get the satisfaction of building one yourself. good luck with the RTO guy. hope to see your convertable on the road.
Old 24th September 2006, 00:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal
no inputs ??????????
Webasto is selling these sunroofs and they have dealers and installers in major cities. I believe Arush is also a dealer. Cost I rekon is between 30 and 50K.
Old 24th September 2006, 12:48   #59
BANNED

i know they are there but i think arush posted long back that the sunroof i want is close to 70k. arush can u post or pm the prices of all manual and elec. sunroofs that are available here please. thanks a lot. i might be planning to do this inhouse itself.
Old 30th September 2006, 13:53   #60
elf
BANNED

Anybody know any RTO Officer I could meet with to discuss the legal consequences of chopping my roof off?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks