Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 22:44   #31
BANNED

Is there After market climate control

after hot summer, the climate is not that much worse now, past week i have gone for 600 kms trip in my lancer GLxd , and the climate is mixed up hot, cold, rain. Then it was pain to adjust AC blower speed now and then, so i was thinking why lancer dont have climate control?

Is there any aftermarket climate control package available, which may be universal fit or specific model? I know i am silly and expecting much in lancer, but i feel it would be nice level of comfort and updation for outdated cars.
Old 19th August 2010, 08:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Even I need one for my Fiesta. Had enquired with the Ford dealer who said that its most a factory fitted and cannot be available after market. I guess will have to wait for Ford to instroduce the ACC in their models, till then it is AC switch On and OFF.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:57   #33
Senior - BHPian

Use Heater Cooler/Heater Knob Control

Hi guys,

For cars that do not have climate control, the best way is to use the cooler/heater knob to control the temperature in your car. It works very well for me in my Swift and prevents the windows from fogging up if it gets too cold/hot.

However, this is only applicable or possible with cars that come with airconditioning and heating as standard.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:15   #34
BHPian

I think what ever AC switches available right now in almost all the new varients of the cars in market are enough to control the climate in the car.

Agree that you have to do it manually to some extent, in fact I still remember the Ambys & padminis two decades ago, having a rotating glass pane, which need to be adjusted manually for focussing the inlet air flow on face/ floor/ sideways etc.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:50   #35
BANNED

It will be difficult to have a retrofit climate control. Even in the simplest form it uses a motorised flat to control the cooled air to bypass mix. Where do you find that. The add the complication of fresh/recirc selection (found on many MS cars), which requires an outside temperature sensor, etc.etc.

The sort answer is No.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Climat control switches the compressor ON/OFF by measuring the cabin temperature and comparing it with the setpoint continuously.

Blower speed has nothing to do with climat control.
Even with climat control, you can and may need to adjust blower speeds as per your comfort requirements.

In abscence of climat control, mixing hot/cold air may help to maintain a set temperature, but remember the compressor is never shut off and in fact you are inhaling the hot air from the engine heat sink.

BTW, for a the Lancer, it may be worth exploring if there is any OEM climat control that comes with lancers in other markets.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:30   #37
BHPian

Btw, a similsr thread already exists in Modification & accessories category.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ol-system.html
Old 19th August 2010, 15:57   #38
BANNED

The compressor on-off is a coarse control. The fine control comes from the bypass ratio! Also, quite often as the set point is approached the fan speed is progressively reduced.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:19   #39
BHPian

Re:

The best way of doing it is to get into the spare parts market, find a car/model which has the A/C climate control feature and have one of your local mechanics fit that into your car.

the only question is if he can connect this to your pre-existing A/C or should you get the whole system changed due to lack of integrability.

This might require quite a bit of searching but should not be impossible
Old 19th August 2010, 19:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

How is that nobody is think of the ECU ? I am sure the ECU also needs to be tweaked if you need to retrofit the climate control. Aint an easy task though if you asked me.

Here's a quote from another forum

Quote:
Parts required include :
Complete new heater box assembly (totally different to manual air-con unit)
Control Panel
Air con pipework
Water/coolant pipe for air-con model from water pump to radiator
Replacement water coolant radiator (need one from an air-con fitted car - yes they are different)
Complete fan assembly from air-con fitted car (again different to non-air con model)
Air-con condensor radiator + drier (piggy backs water/coolant radiator)
Compressor
New v-belt
High pressure switch
Retrofit wiring loom
Solar senor and fittings
(external temperature thermometer if not already fitted)
Various fixings/fittings fuses and relays

You also need to remove the following to install :
Drain coolant
Remove complete front end module
Remove water cooler (radiator) and engine fan
Coolant hose from water pump
AIr filter casing
V-belt
Door sill strips (both sides
Top instrument trim
Radio
Switches
Instrument panel
Complete Heater assembly
Source : Here .
Old 19th August 2010, 23:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have been discussing on the lines of fitting a thermostat (like in the good ol' Super King AC) to turn on / off the compressor. I am running my Getz with less than 1/4th in the "Cold" area of the cooler / heater knob - any lesser and I start getting hot air. And still my AC makes you shiver after a max of 30 - 45 minutes' driving :(
Old 20th August 2010, 10:45   #42
BANNED

Actually i thought of installing an setup circuit of old split AC which has wired remote, by installing that blower thermo sensor inside cabin and the wired remote with display in the dash and taking other controls inbetween the line of AC compressor of car (which replaces the split AC compressor line)

But after reading this thread i feel it is almost not possible to make compressor cut off at certain temperature inside cabin.

Have any electronic/electric wizard tried DIY by building an simple cut off mechanism with desired setting temperature inside cabin??
Old 20th August 2010, 11:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Have any electronic/electric wizard tried DIY by building an simple cut off mechanism with desired setting temperature inside cabin??
That sounds like a good idea. One should be able to construct a totally separate, adjustable temperature based circuit, that can toggle (switch on/off) the a/c on/off push button.

It would include a temperature sensor, a display and knob/buttons to set the desired temperature, and a circuit that will toggle the car a/c switch based on the readings.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:16   #44
BANNED

@ph03n!x: This should be easy to fit. All you may need is a unit and fix the sensor (thermistor) inside the box (inlet side I guess).
Old 20th August 2010, 14:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Blower speed has nothing to do with climat control.
Even with climat control, you can and may need to adjust blower speeds as per your comfort requirements.

In abscence of climat control, mixing hot/cold air may help to maintain a set temperature, but remember the compressor is never shut off and in fact you are inhaling the hot air from the engine heat sink.
Blower speed does quite a lot in climate control. usually, whenever ambient temp is closer to setpoint, it follows a pattern such that compressor is off & only fan speed is varied to attain the setpoint. That should explain why fan control is also important. It usually has a motor to control the fans & motor again has its algorithm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The compressor on-off is a coarse control. The fine control comes from the bypass ratio! Also, quite often as the set point is approached the fan speed is progressively reduced.
Yes.. not just reduced but also some times increased. Depends on the temperate rising or declining ! Either ways, compressor is NOT the only control point, you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
Actually i thought of installing an setup circuit of old split AC which has wired remote, by installing that blower thermo sensor inside cabin and the wired remote with display in the dash and taking other controls inbetween the line of AC compressor of car (which replaces the split AC compressor line)

But after reading this thread i feel it is almost not possible to make compressor cut off at certain temperature inside cabin.

NEVER DO THAT !! the refrigerant used for home applications is different from automotive applications. The parts (including controller) are designed keeping this in mind.

And, every climate control system has its own algorithm of control (which we call temperature charts) that have a logic different for declining & rising temperatures. There are a lot of parameters that govern the control of compressor & fan. In some cases, even battery is monitored while aircon is ON! Usually, a compressor is on switched ON/OFF immediately, there will be a delay from the time OFF command is sent & the compressor is actually OFF, this is to wait for the refrigerant to return to its reservoir (else it can be dangerous). So you might not notice a compressor switching ON & OFF frequently. In some cases, Compressor is driven by the engine & is in always ON condition (belt coupling with engine shafts/alternator), in which case the cold air is mixed with hot air (from condensor)..

Sorry guys.. i work in climate control division and hence the gyaan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks