Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 22:14   #46
BHPian

So this means that the pedal box does alter the 0-100 km/hr sprint timing, as in it makes it quicker. That's good to know then. Thanks frankmehta
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 09:50   #47
BHPian

Re: PedalTune: Customisable throttle response

Have been tracking this thread since day 1 and has been interesting to see various view points on what this product actually is and does. This lead me to do some further search on the internet on these boxes and got the following data from the horses mouth which is the DTE systems website whose technology is incorporated in the Pedal Tune box by TTS Auto (as per the TTS Auto website) which Frank has installed in his car. Hence I would like to share the theory followed up with the practical experience of using this device.

The tune box captures the accelerator pedal signal and transforms it. There are 2 voltages as mentioned earlier which are captured and accordingly modified by super imposing additional voltage which is controlled by a Microchip and varies depending on the base voltages of the accelerator sensor thus unlike an analog system which purely adds a fixed voltage to the existing source. The same is evident from the graph given below:

PedalTune: Customisable throttle response-pedal-box-response-graph.png

As can be seen the signal modification basis the program chosen is non linear and varies by the degree of accelerator input provided.

Quoting the specific bits from the site:

"Throttle response has less to do with how much power a vehicle has but rather how long it needs to fully release this power, with petrol engines frequently performing better here than diesel ones in this regard."

"What are the benefits of the PedalBox and why do vehicle manufacturers produce standard throttle responses instead of improved?

Two reasons:

First, manufacturers take into account their respective markets and use standardization in order to reach a big amount of customers.

Second, the engine control unit is designed in a way that the individual driving style governs engine performance. If, for example, someone frequently drives at full throttle, the controller will be induced to work more dynamically through the engine control unit. The higher the speed driven, the more signals will be sent out from the pedal. During day-to-day driving, this is difficult to achieve for any significant length of time and so the engine control unit lowers the engine's response once again. And here come the benefits of the PedalBox into play. It is an additional control unit, with four user-selectable programs, that increases throttle response by removing delays in the accelerator, enhancing drivability you control! Plus, the new memory function stores all individual settings"

"If I would like to drive in a more dynamic program, is it sufficient to press the accelerator more often?

No, pressing the accelerator more often will not work because the human foot is not as fast as the electronics of a car and if you do this constantly you will damage the potentiometer and the transmission of your vehicle."

The following Youtube Video beautifully summarizes how this device functions:

How I evaluate it is that this device enables one to have the inherent power of the car made more accessible and usable. It provides the user the flexibility to modify throttle characteristics to suit ones individual driving style.

That said I have ordered the Pedal Tune and is currently in transit for my Vento 1.2 TSI. As I was eager to try this out, Frank obliged me by catching up and giving his car to drive and experience.

For the first few kms I drove in standard mode (Pedal Tune Off) to get acquainted with the native throttle characteristics of the car. Post that Frank switched on the Pedal Tune to Race mode with maximum setting. Oh boy! As Frank mentioned earlier words are difficult to describe the feeling! The car transformed into a totally different beast! The way it behaved when you pressed part throttle, the way the torque boost kicked in was totally different compared to the stock car.

I even tried emulating the same experience by switching off the pedal tune and simulating by pressing the accelerator harder but that did not give the same result. Thus proving the theory mentioned above.

I now await my pedal tune and am eager to try on the Vento TSI and evaluate how effectively it transforms the driving characteristic of a more heavier car with essentially the same engine of the Polo.

Thanks to Frank for letting me try out his car. It was indeed a fun drive!
Jamsukh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 14:41   #48
BHPian

Ok so finally I did get the Pedal Tune for my Vento TSI. Installation was a minute's job of simple plug and play.

As was seen in Frank's Polo, even in the Vento TSI the throttle response of the car was modified and varied by the different modes selected in it.

While have not clocked a lot of kms hence would not be able to comment on the impact on fuel efficiency. However with the race mode, I observed that the car was holding on the lower gear for a longer time and would in 3rd / 4th gear rev up to 4000 rpm in D mode. I would typically have to upshift by letting off the foot from the throttle so that the car would shift to a higher gear in D mode.

I guess would need to try out various modes permutation and combination to arrive at what best suits my driving style in the long run.

That said the car felt more peppy and agile resulting in the usable power of the car been made more accessible by a slight tap of the accelerator.

To further study what the device was actually doing, I connected my OBD2 ELM 327 adaptor and fired up Torque app. On that I opened the accelerator throttle position meter. By default it was at ~16%. With Pedal Tune Off, I pressed and found the % increasing in a linear fashion.

Then with Pedal Tune ON I saw the % drastically shooting up in a certain band depending on the mode selected. Also with that I could observe the different characteristics in acceleration with different modes been selected. This I would say is pretty much in line with the graph I had posted in the earlier post.

With the higher extent of the accelerator been pressed the corresponding additional voltage added by pedal tune correspondingly minimized.

Hence in summary it is an interesting mod which changes the driving characteristics of the car and gives you multiple options for that. Once you get used to driving with it, you would rarely want to drive without it.

Also from a safety standpoint the option of switching off in specific weather or road conditions is beneficial so that one does not go over board and drive within safe limits.
Jamsukh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 09:24   #49

Hi Frank,

PedalTune seems interesting. Would you suggest it for my 2005 Skoda Octavia vRS?

(i had faced issues with Throttle Position Sensor earlier. Found out that it was due to O2 sensor. It is cleared now)

I just remapped her to APR Stage 2.

Thanks in Advance

Gurupprasad B
B Gurupprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 10:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gurupprasad View Post
Hi Frank,

PedalTune seems interesting. Would you suggest it for my 2005 Skoda Octavia vRS?

(i had faced issues with Throttle Position Sensor earlier. Found out that it was due to O2 sensor. It is cleared now)

I just remapped her to APR Stage 2.

Thanks in Advance

Gurupprasad B
It works best on Turbo Petrols.
You should try it out. The stockist for the same is in Chennai only. It's working insanely well. I am very happy with what it's doing in my Polo and Crio.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 12:01   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
It works best on Turbo Petrols.
You should try it out. The stockist for the same is in Chennai only. It's working insanely well. I am very happy with what it's doing in my Polo and Crio.
Awesome

Thank You, Frank.

Could you please pass on the Stockist details? PM..

Guru B
Old 27th October 2016, 16:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

His name is Mithun Mehta and his telephone no is 09382888888.
He will be able to send you a box for trial if you give him the reference of this team-bhp thread. They are pretty helpful to early adopters.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:19   #53

Quote:
His name is Mithun Mehta and his telephone no is 09382888888.
He will be able to send you a box for trial if you give him the reference of this team-bhp thread. They are pretty helpful to early adopters.
thanks a lot Frank

i got my pedaltune for trail . will be trying it out this weekend.

can you please PM the price (hope you don't mind) that you paid for your box?

Guru
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Mate, your PM is not available and I have nothing to hide about the rates.
I got my PedalTune and Tornado MultiChannel tuning box for 30k. The tuning box alone costs 25k and the PedalTune costs Rs. 15k. So I got a good deal.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

I finally got around to installing the pedaltune in my Honda (Crio) and I just don't have the words to express how awesome it is in a Naturally Aspirated engine. Everything has improved by leaps and bounds and the throttle response of the car has been transformed massively. Like a day-night difference.

More on this, here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4101572

Last edited by frankmehta : 3rd December 2016 at 12:16. Reason: Url
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:27   #56
BHPian

Installed PedalTune for my Honda City CVT Vx yesterday here in Delhi.

As mentioned by Frank above, the item is a simple plug and play job and no real big modification is required, it is basically a relay that couples itself onto the A pedal of the car.

Now Honda City CVT is not exactly a tarmac burner.. but the difference PedalTune makes to the vehicle is mind boggling and borders on the overwhelming.

There is immediate power on tap and a slightest of input on the accelerator makes the car jump forward in a sense of urgency.

There are three modes to this thing, Economy (which still is more than the stock throttle response), Sport & Racing.

I initially tested on Sports mode and was blown away with the way the car was responding. It IMO is too much for city and one would rarely need the PedalTune while driving within the city limits. I on my way back to home switched it to economy mode, and believe me, even the economy mode is far far more responsive than the stock throttle inputs.

So much so, that my wife riding with me today morning asked, what have you done with the car . So much is the power on tap that a feather tap on the A pedal is all that is needed for the car to lunge forward and gallop away to do a 0-60 in no time.

Mithun (the owner) upon teambhp reference was kind enough to let me have the box on trial basis for a week, but such is the difference that PedalTune box makes that i yesterday evening itself offered to do an NEFT and keep this thing with me forever.

Anyone who wishes to know more is free to get in touch with me. I was sent a Pdf file by Mithun further explaining this thing, i'd be more than happy to share it with everyone on the forum (Not sure if i am allowed to upload that thing here).
Prodigyy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Installed PedalTune for my Honda City CVT Vx yesterday here in Delhi.

As mentioned by Frank above, the item is a simple plug and play job and no real big modification is required, it is basically a relay that couples itself onto the A pedal of the car.

Now Honda City CVT is not exactly a tarmac burner.. but the difference PedalTune makes to the vehicle is mind boggling and borders on the overwhelming.

There is immediate power on tap and a slightest of input on the accelerator makes the car jump forward in a sense of urgency.

There are three modes to this thing, Economy (which still is more than the stock throttle response), Sport & Racing.

I initially tested on Sports mode and was blown away with the way the car was responding. It IMO is too much for city and one would rarely need the PedalTune while driving within the city limits. I on my way back to home switched it to economy mode, and believe me, even the economy mode is far far more responsive than the stock throttle inputs.

So much so, that my wife riding with me today morning asked, what have you done with the car . So much is the power on tap that a feather tap on the A pedal is all that is needed for the car to lunge forward and gallop away to do a 0-60 in no time.

Mithun (the owner) upon teambhp reference was kind enough to let me have the box on trial basis for a week, but such is the difference that PedalTune box makes that i yesterday evening itself offered to do an NEFT and keep this thing with me forever.

Anyone who wishes to know more is free to get in touch with me. I was sent a Pdf file by Mithun further explaining this thing, i'd be more than happy to share it with everyone on the forum (Not sure if i am allowed to upload that thing here).

Felt the EXACT same feeling in my Honda (principally, we have the same engines running but in different sets of tune)
There is some witchcraft in the PedalTune that makes your car perform far better than you expect it to. It is NOT just a throttle response modulator. It's far beyond that.
Happy to see more people warming up to this simple, harmless yet indispensable gizmo for their cars.

EDIT: BEST mode for our cars is Economy mode 2- (One green in the middle and 2 greens at the bottom)

Last edited by frankmehta : 9th January 2017 at 11:01.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
There is some witchcraft in the PedalTune that makes your car perform far better than you expect it to. It is NOT just a throttle response modulator. It's far beyond that.
Happy to see more people warming up to this simple, harmless yet indispensable gizmo for their cars.
EDIT: BEST mode for our cars is Economy mode 2- (One green in the middle and 2 greens at the bottom)
I can not thank you and Mithun enough for bringing this thing to the attention of this fora.
PedalTune is pure wicked. I had been driving in Economy +3 mode, will try a different state of tune today and update you all here !!
PS: Another fellow BHPian went along with me and is awaiting his box which is supposed to reach here in Delhi till this weekend, i am 100% sure that his opinions would be no different than mine
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Interesting concept, but this PedalTune would not affect the 0-100 times of a car right? When driving with a wide open throttle, the maximum transmitted voltage should be the same for both the cases (stock vs PedalTune) However, we would have far better part throttle responses, and that should be with a small drop in efficiency too, as we are basically feeding in more fuel for the same pedal position.

I am struggling to see how this would be better than a remap - ease of installation apart.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Interesting concept, but this PedalTune would not affect the 0-100 times of a car right? When driving with a wide open throttle, the maximum transmitted voltage should be the same for both the cases (stock vs PedalTune) However, we would have far better part throttle responses, and that should be with a small drop in efficiency too, as we are basically feeding in more fuel for the same pedal position.

I am struggling to see how this would be better than a remap - ease of installation apart.
You raise a valid point with respect to the part-throttle response for sure. It's leagues ahead.
ABout the 0-100 timings, you may be slightly off. My Honda does 0-100 in 10 seconds without the PedalTune and 9.6 seconds with it. As I keep saying, this PedalTune is NOT just throttle voltage modulation. It's a lot of other things.

About the fuel efficiency, also, you are right if it is in the HIGHEST mode. It's pointless to keep it in the RACE +3 mode. In Eco and sports modes, economy is not affected. I got 12.5 kmpl in the Honda with the 1.2 l engine, 12 kmpl with the 1.5 l engine and 12 kmpl with the 1.5 lengine with Pedal Tune :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks