Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: To-be-avoided Car Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
7. After market wheel caps. Most of them seems cheap to me. More so, I’ve seen some older gen Innovas using the ones written Ertiga on them. I mean really!
I have personally witnessed few of them getting loose and running free on the roads. The car owner will not even realize that he has lost one of these plastic thingies and in two of such cases, a two wheeler guy almost got hit by it and another one rammed into an auto rickshaw, while trying to avoid these rolling saucers.
In recent times I have seen better sense prevailing & people using plastic tie-bands to secure them but I think these can be potential killer on roads.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
This reminded me of a picture which was doing rounds over whatsapp couple of years ago.

Some oversmart person had tried to scan and make copies of popular TBHP stickers.

Attachment 1611662
Those are copies of genuine TBHP stickers. I'd noticed in Chennai someone with absolute fake TBHP stickers where even the fonts & design are different. Wanted to take a snap, but road safety first!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 10:43   #78
BHPian

A bit off topic : What not to keep on the dash or how not to maintain your dashboard
To-be-avoided Car Accessories-20170309_08160601.jpg
rav11stars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 15:44   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yuck! How awfully tasteless on an otherwise classy car. Side reflector strips on an S-Class

To-be-avoided Car Accessories-20170401-22.04.01.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yuck! How awfully tasteless on an otherwise classy car. Side reflector strips on an S-Class

Attachment 1625424
It is compulsory by law to have these on tourist permit vehicles (at least in Mumbai):

White reflector strips on the front bumper
Yellow reflector strips on the sides
Red reflector strips on the rear bumper

The S-Class looks like a rental / hotel vehicle.
salilpawar1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 13:42   #81
Senior - BHPian

How can one forget a new trend in Delhi -- keeping a Police Cap on the dashboard..

Last edited by panky12345 : 6th April 2017 at 13:47.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 13:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As salilpawar said, it is mandatory by law, so can't do anything about it. However it is good that the strips have been pasted at the bottom and not on the waistline which would have looked far uglier
Old 4th October 2017, 23:17   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda City has a metallic and shiny right rear window beading at the base, detached and projecting out now, just above the rear door handle. Even the plastic door handles have become metallic !

This is evidently a cheap accessory and the owner might have fitted it, being convinced by the spare seller that his car will look no less than a Jaguar.

And the poor owner was perhaps convinced that his Rs 12 L car will look like a Rs 56 L car.

To-be-avoided Car Accessories-img_20170923_144114944.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:03   #84
BHPian

Unsafe Accessories

Accessorizing your car is meant to enhance comfort and sometimes extend functionality provided by the car. But off-late I have been noticing there are some accessories being openly sold online that are downright unsafe and illegal aswell.

I had come across foot mats that can fiddle with pedals etc, but what I found beats all my previous records:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0767HZ3RF/..._HSUfEbRQYT42B

It is a mock seat belt buckle that is used to fool the seat belt alarm. Once you insert it, it will stop the alarm by fooling the system. I was more aghast when I saw hundreds of reviews praising the product. It has a 4* rating. Seriously, you buy Rs. 10L car with all those safety systems and you fool those systems with a Rs. 500 bottle opener. I had heard of some products causing harm due to its misuse. But this product will cause harm on its use (You don't have to take the trouble of misusing it).

But a very moral seller has put this description (read my reaction):
Function: Seat Belt Buckle and can be stop your seat belt alert and Can be used as bottle opener.

Me: Ofcourse, when the user cares a damn for his life, he can as well drink and drive.

Material: Real Carbon Fiber And Aluminum Alloy and Comes Only One unit Not Two.

Me: They have made this product from high quality materials so that it won't fail in failing your safety. The package has only one because one is enough to kill you.

But seriously...
Even buyers are to be blamed equally. Are there no laws banning such products? What is the right place to complain against such a rogue product whose purpose is to subvert the safety systems?

I request the forum members to list such products on this thread, to make aam junta aware?

Last edited by manjunathkl : 9th January 2020 at 15:08. Reason: Added an important point
manjunathkl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 15:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unsafe Accessories

The magnetic and vacuum sun blinds, I have seen drivers use the sun blinds on the right driver window! Though designed to help, morons make such products very dangerous.

Spear-like accessories on the bonnet, very unsafe for the pedestrians.

Bull Bars, same as above, plus messes with airbags mechanism.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unsafe Accessories

May be the buyers have a Marazzo?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ing-alarm.html (Mahindra Marazzo's malfunctioning co-driver seatbelt warning alarm)

Reminds me of an incident. I was travelling in someone else car, the driver was praising his son all the way for finding a innovative solution of fastening seatbelts and sitting on top of it to avoid alarms in his corolla. Best part, 15 minutes later, traffic police stops us as driver is not wearing seatbelt and fined 500 bucks!
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

My submission on what I believe are dangerous yet commonly used even by enthusiasts, accessories:

1. Magnetic or Suction cup sun-shades on the driver and passenger windows these impede peripheral visibility when coming out onto road or even when merging into a lane and I have seen several "good drivers" make mistakes because of these

2. Gods and other hard objects being glued to the dashboard. In the event of a crash these things could even prove fatal

3. Blue indicators I don't understand the appeal of this one

4. Wrong type of bulbs in reflector housing setups. These can be absolutely blinding for oncoming road users and could even prove useless for the driver himself as a different bulb designed to work in a different setup, could end up spreading less light onto the road.

5. Reverse sirens

6. Those massive screens that are pasted over the IRVM
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 22:05   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
5. Reverse sirens
That's irritating, but believe me sometimes they are very much useful. Especially for people with earphones standing behind cars (Silent, gasoline engines to be specific)
Old 10th January 2020, 10:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. FAKE Team-BHP stickers! It's either authentic or nothing.

I totally agree with your comment.
But what about the Tbhp stickers easily available on Amazon India officially sold by Tbhp? If they are openly sold online, then anyone can buy it and stick it, even those who are not Tbhp members. Then in that case original or duplicate would not matter as anyone can post these stickers. This is just a personal observation and I don't mean disrespect to Tbhp or any member. I feel proud to be a Bhpian and hence feel only Bhpians should be allowed to post Tbhp stickers on their cars.

There is also a saying on the site 'You are representing the entire community by putting a Team-BHP sticker on your car - please drive responsibly!'

Not all members here may be responsible or safe drivers, but there are definitely unsafe drivers who can easily buy and post the stickers on his car.

Please delete this post if not appropriate.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 10th January 2020 at 10:35.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I totally agree with your comment.
But what about the Tbhp stickers easily available on Amazon India officially sold by Tbhp? If they are openly sold online, then anyone can buy it and stick it, even those who are not Tbhp members.
Please add me to your list as I am also totally agree with you. Team-BHP stickers are not only stickers but a pride symbol for it’s members. This pride come with greater responsibility. It is really harmful to Team-BHP community if every Tom, Dick and Harry starts posting this sticker on his car. Being a Team-BHP member is honour for us and we only know how we have achieved this status. The non member person who simply purchase the sticker and post on to his car doesn’t know the efforts and dedication needed to become member of this great community. I myself took 9 years to become member of Team-BHP. This is my personal opinion with due respect to all that Team-BHP stickers shall be used by members only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks