Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 22:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?

Hello BHPians,

Tried to search everywhere on the forum but didn't find what I was looking for - a professional quality steering leather wrap expert in Pune!

Since last 7 months, I have been asking every accessory store I see for a professional quality leather wrap on my Nexon's stock steering wheel. Nobody is able to do it! They have only the basic ones. I don't want only the roundel that leaves spokes uncovered. I want a flush fitting cover that goes under the plastic fascia panels (that have audio controls etc.).

Only Carax, Baner reluctantly said yes - but said I'll have to leave the car for 2 days & they'll remove the steering & send it out to "their leather expert". Now thats something I can't do even in a nightmare.

This is what I'm looking for -
(Picture courtesy of a cool buddy in Bengaluru.)

Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?-nexysteering.jpg

I'm okay if its not pure leather & leatherette instead. But the finish has to be simply fantastic. (Not going to say NO if its real leather of course!)

There are quite a few good guys in Bengaluru, some of them even come at doorstep & do this in 1 hour. Cost ranges anywhere between INR 1500-2000 there. If nothing is found in Pune - I have made up my mind do do a round trip drive to BLR just to get the steering (& handbrake handle) wrapped. Shocking how nobody is doing this here in Pune when every other person in BLR seems to be an expert in it!

Any pointers will be really of great help (and will result in quite a lot of thousands of INR saved for me in a BLR trip ).

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th March 2020 at 22:02.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?

You could check with New Motor Hood on Jungli Maharaj Road. However, I've heard he works only on high end cars; but no harm in asking. Nana Peth also has lots of small shops that sell customized car seat covers. One of them might oblige.

Another option is a shop that makes or repairs bike seats / seat covers. A couple of famous ones I can think of are:

1. Super Seats on Jungli Maharaj Road

2. Pawar Seat Corner in Nana Peth

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th March 2020 at 22:38.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 02:36   #3
BHPian

re: Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?

CarAx Baner did a good job on my car steering about 5-6 years back. And I didn't have to leave the car with them. But they have now scaled back the operation at their site by a whole lot. So a lot of things may be getting outsourced now.

There is another place which stocks good steering covers - Atharv Car Accessories. This is also in Baner near Jupiter Hospital. But the fit of the cover after the stitching was not upto the mark. This is from the fitting in my current car done about two months back.
catchjyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:37   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?

Just spoke with Bafna cars on Ghole road (near JM road) and he gave the most honest response. He said there is nobody who does it properly in Pune. They take the steering off & send it to Bengaluru to get it done. Anyone local doesn't give a reliably good finish so they have stopped doing it in Pune altogether.

Old 19th March 2020, 11:18   #5
BHPian

I have been following a guy on youtube.
VIG auto accessories, based in Vashi. His work is fantastic.

Also, Orchis in Mumbai does this job flawlessly. Look them up on Facebook and you'll be able to see pictures of some of their work . You dont need to go to B'lore for this .
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I have been following a guy on Youtube.
VIG auto accessories, based in Vashi. His work is fantastic.
Super! Thanks Gautam! I did a quick whatsapp chat with Tanveer from VAG Vashi. I know this store as I visit this area quite frequently since childhood .

He has said he can do it but was busy in something so told me to call after a couple of hours. Will be talking to him further in detail in some time.
Old 19th March 2020, 13:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Found another good source!

Link : Orchis Mumbai

Spoke with the gentleman Mr. Shinde. He has guaranteed a better finish! Mostly I'll be driving down to Mumbai this weekend to get it done. Fingers crossed.
Old 19th March 2020, 13:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

The work shown can't be done in one hour. I had it done on my previous Fiesta and current Scorpio. The wheel needs to be removed after disconnecting the airbags, and the leather strip sewn on by hand with that neat interlocking stitch. It is a five or six hour process and needs a craftsman to do it.

See some photos from the process - though note, I am not sure the craftsman that did it (Gopi anna) is still with VV Car Decors where I had this work done. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4325994 (2014 Ford Fiesta Facelift : A Close Look)
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 15:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Just spoke with Bafna cars and he gave the most honest response.
Glad to see approach of Dhanish & Mahesh hasn't changed in many years.

Quote:
Found another good source! Link : Orchis Mumbai
For Orchis, also have a look at this thread (GTI-esque tartan fabric seat covers on my VW Polo GT TSI).

Quote:
Mostly I'll be driving down to Mumbai this weekend to get it done. Fingers crossed.
In current context, do you really need travel this weekend?
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The work shown can't be done in one hour. I had it done on my previous Fiesta and current Scorpio. The wheel needs to be removed after disconnecting the airbags, and the leather strip sewn on by hand with that neat interlocking stitch. It is a five or six hour process and needs a craftsman to do it.
I spoke with Guru from BLR. He guaranteed to do it in 1 - 1.5 hour tops. A friend (who's Nexon's picture I have posted) got it done in 1.5 hrs - and they did it without removing the steering wheel! Shocking but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Glad to see approach of Dhanish & Mahesh hasn't changed in many years.
Yep indeed. They have been very reliable and clear in dealing. Hard earned status!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
In current context, do you really need travel this weekend?
Let's see - I might be going for a different reason (to relatives) to Navi-Mumbai anyway. So might use that visit.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th March 2020 at 16:06.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke with Guru from BLR. He guaranteed to do it in 1 - 1.5 hour tops. A friend (who's Nexon's picture I have posted) got it done in 1.5 hrs - and they did it without removing the steering wheel! Shocking but true.
That is also an option but you will not get anywhere near an oem fit and finish without removing the steering wheel.

Check out these pics in my Scorpio especially the detail of how it fits near the wheel spokes and thumb contours on the wheel. You won’t get that without removing the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?-1image.jpg  

Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?-1image.jpg  

Last edited by hserus : 19th March 2020 at 17:29.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 12:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let's see - I might be going for a different reason (to relatives) to Navi-Mumbai anyway. So might use that visit.
Cancelled the visit in light of spiralling virus spread. Let's see when COVID-19 approves the mod now.
Old 21st March 2020, 19:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

Tried to search everywhere on the forum but didn't find what I was looking for - a professional quality steering leather wrap expert in Pune!

Since last 7 months, I have been asking every accessory store I see for a professional quality leather wrap on my Nexon's stock steering wheel. Nobody is able to do it! They have only the basic ones. I don't want only the roundel that leaves spokes uncovered. I want a flush fitting cover that goes under the plastic fascia panels (that have audio controls etc.).
Hi Reinhard, I am exactly in the same boat as you are. I can totally relate to your search. Have been doing the same as you are, with my enquiries to different accessory stores for my Brezza in Pune.

Couldn't find anyone who does it without removing the steering. If its ok for you to get the finish, with the steering being removed, then you may contact POONA MOTORS in camp, the cost quoted is a bit steep at Rs 5500/-

For your reference posting the pic of their work on the leather wrap of a Baleno steering(from their Facebook page), will be getting the wrap done post COVID crisis.

Pic Courtesy : Facebook page, Poona Motors
Attached Thumbnails
Pune: Good place for a leather-wrap on the steering?-056-srs.jpg  

Last edited by smileline : 21st March 2020 at 19:33.
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 19:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Couldn't find anyone who does it without removing the steering. If its ok for you to get the finish, with the steering being removed, then you may contact POONA MOTORS in camp, the cost quoted is a bit steep at Rs 5500/-
Yes the cost is in line with expectations. Removing and reinstalling the steering wheel, especially in an airbag fitted car, and then hand stitching the leather wrap is a 5-6 hour job.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 19:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Hi Reinhard, I am exactly in the same boat as you are. I can totally relate to your search. Have been doing the same as you are, with my enquiries to different accessory stores for my Brezza in Pune.

Oh yes I forgot to check with Poona. They've generally been steep on everything whenever I have checked. 5500 is indeed steep (considering I'm getting it done at 2500 in Powai at Orchis). Yes, I'm absolutely open to get it done with steering removed and reinstalled. No problem with that.

Let's see when COVID19 allows me to get it done now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks