Initial investment is an issue 20 13.70%
Others - please specify 21 14.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2007, 13:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I used to think that safety was one concern of potential buyers....but not too many people on this thread have spoken about it so far. 2.
If there is a safety issue, ARAI and dept of exposives would not given their approval for conversion.

To eliminate this concern, I feel the manufacturers must consider the alternative fuel cars. Maruti has taken a bold step with the WagonR. How come no one is bothered about safety on the Wagon R duo? We assume that when its from the manufacturer, its safe....

But I seriously doubt Maruti continuation of LPG cars, as its committed to diesel now.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
anyways my reasons are
1The smell my neighbor are running pon lpg and the car smell car is so irritating
2.My mom thinks in case of a rear end collosion the kit could bust
1. The smell in your neighbour's car is due to the fact that there is a leak in his LPG system. Should be attended to immediately. Sure signs of a cheap & faulty install.
2. The LPG tank is a much stronger & safer tank than the petrol tank. So ,in the event of a rear end collision, the petrol tank would explode before the LPG tank.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
1. The smell in your neighbour's car is due to the fact that there is a leak in his LPG system. Should be attended to immediately. Sure signs of a cheap & faulty install.
Even when there is no leakage, cars emit a typical foul odour from their exhaust pipes when run on LPG.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:05   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

the only time when i smell LPG is when i fill up and the guy pulls out the nossle
Old 14th March 2007, 14:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

[SIZE=2]
Quote:
[SIZE=2]Even when there is no leakage, cars emit a typical foul odour from their exhaust pipes when run on LPG.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

I do not believe it is so prominent as to leave someone irritated.
@directinjection : BTW, do you own a LPG car ?
Old 14th March 2007, 14:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

1) I wanted to retain the originality of the car.

But mainly it is a case of "once bitten, twice shy". Maybe the LPG tuner was not good, maybe the kit was not cutting-edge tech. as available now etc. But whatever be it, I am not for that experiment again.

Very happy with the 12kmpl my car gives in city. If at all at a stage I feel that it is not enough, will either
a. switch to an M800 or Alto.
b. switch to diesel (though not exactly a favourite fuel).
c. switch to public transport / bike / walking, whatever.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I do some 80 KMS every day and wouldn't mind running my Adventure on CNG even though it would spoil the boot. However, there's no Type Approval for Adventure from ARAI yet (Probably it will never come also). So the fitment can't be done legally as of now.

Coming to the boot issue, I wonder if we can have detachable CNG/LPG cylinders that can be easily removed whenever required. I'm told the present CNG cylinders require 2-3 hours of hard work before they can be removed from the car.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

I do not believe it is so prominent as to leave someone irritated.
@directinjection : BTW, do you own a LPG car ?
Well, I don't but a friend of mine runs his Cielo on LPG using domestic LPG cylinders (which is illegal of course). Once we undertook a long journey together. The tail pipe of his car always emitted foul odour even though there was no leakage from his cylinder or kit.

It is noteworthy that foul odour is deliberately added to domestic LPG cylinders so that people would immediately notice any leakage. I don't know if odour is added to auto LPG sold through Auto LPG outlets.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

The odour is added to Auto LPG too since LPG is colourless & odourless, but burnt LPG does not have the smell that you are talking about. Cars running on the domestic cylinders are bound to leak since there is no permanent bracing of pipes.
Old 14th March 2007, 14:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well my reasons are as follows:

1. Too much of a petrolhead so can't even think about running on any other fuel not even diesel!
2. Cannot tolerate any compromise in performance.
3. Not really sure about the long-term effects of these fuels on car engine designed to run on Petrol.

Mine is a different case since even with a very high mileage per year I simply cannot bring myself to driving anything other than Petrol cars, probably due to my craziness! Even if the other factors were taken care of with regards to LPG/CNG I would still not buy one. You could say I'm completely & irreversibily biased in favour of petrol!!
Old 14th March 2007, 14:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The odour is added to Auto LPG too since LPG is colourless & odourless, but burnt LPG does not have the smell that you are talking about. Cars running on the domestic cylinders are bound to leak since there is no permanent bracing of pipes.
I wouldn't agree with you on that. I've also seen Maruti Omnis with factory-fitted LPG kit. Even they emit foul smell.

Domestic LPG in car may be illegal, but looking at the number of vehicles being run on it, especially in small towns, it is also highly successful. I'm sure cars running on domestic LPG cylinders outnumber those running on legal LPG, by several times.

If every car running on domestic cylinders leaked, we wouldn't be seeing so many of them. Also, constant leakage is bound to result in fire if not explosion.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

The leakage of LPG is far more safer than leakage of petrol which tends to remain & get absorbed, whereas LPG would dissipate immediately. The valve used in doemstic cylinder usage is not fool proof & will leak.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

voted for "retain originality" and "i dont mind paying petrol bills".

1. retain originality: although actually i havent (straight through expansion chamber, momo replica steering wheel, bucket seats, radials)...but then the engine bay is almost stock.

2. i dont mind paying: this is self explainatory.
Old 14th March 2007, 16:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Burnt LPG does leave a tell-tale smell. Can be noticed clearly if you happen to ride behind any of the Chennai autos that run on LPG (or is it CNG - I am confused between the 2 fuels).
Old 14th March 2007, 16:45   #30
BHPian

I run an Alto which is already less in power and further i do not want to tax the engine.Voted for retaining the originality of the car.

Obviously,i am much inclined to "Petrol" and not even "Diesel".Bha!!Now i am proud to be a "Petrol Head"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks