Initial investment is an issue 20 13.70%
Others - please specify 21 14.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 21:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

What's your stopping factor on a LPG/CNG conversion

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...arision-2.html

The above article at Team-Bhp advice section explains the pros and cons of converting petrol cars to LPG/CNG. It is obvious that running a car on CNG/LPG is much cheaper than running it in petrol. In spite of it still there are many (including myself) people hesitant to get it converted as their top most concern is that they were not very clear on long term negative effects of the engine due to this conversion.

With this article it was clear that there is there is no long term negative effect on the engine due to the conversion. All one need to do is find out a good kit and a perfect tuner.

Also wanted to find out what's the major reason why people do not to go for the LPG/CNG conversion
Old 13th March 2007, 22:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Love petrol so much that I could sleep with it. Besides if I wanted a car with low running costs as the sole criteria of ownership, I'd have gone in for some 800 cc economizer, not my Swift. Also that mine is a new car.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th March 2007 at 22:10.
Old 13th March 2007, 22:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to retain the originality of the car as far as possible.

Loosing boot space is a concern and since I drive a hatch it is a bigger concern.

Loss in power delivery, heard rave stories but never have driven a car running on LPG/CNG for more than 7 kms.

I dont mind paying petrol bills, since I do not have a choice.

Fearing long term negative effects on engine. - I have seen them on many cars that have run on LPG.
Old 13th March 2007, 23:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have not voted, cause I have a LPG converted car. However, the main deterent would be loss of power and pickup. Losing on boot space was another.

We need to have a good LPG tuner to maintain the car's performance. Most installers are good, but they dont know the art of LPG tuning. Its a hard task as the method is trial and error.

Advanced ECU controlled kits are also available now. One member here has tried it. If the kits can run well in Italy, we can do it here as well.
Old 14th March 2007, 01:11   #5
BHPian

Never really considered it for reasons
1. Keep originality as much as possible,
2. Would not like to lose performance,
3. Can not lose boot space: have two young children,
4. Worried about long term affects on the engine,
5. Finally no strong motive, my fuel bills are still affordable.
Old 14th March 2007, 08:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Does an LPG-converted car take a hit in second-hand sale value? Could this be a factor that's holding people back?

Why I wouldn't LPG my car:
1) Loss of performance
2) Loss of boot-space
3) I drive just 8000kms (maxxxx) a year. Any running-costs advantage from LPG would not mean much to me (considering the inconvenience of factors 1 and 2 above).
4) I just prefer petrol (no reason why, but that's the way it is). Like theMAG said, if I wanted to save money, I would buy a small petrol car.
Old 14th March 2007, 08:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I have not voted, cause I have a LPG converted car.
Why are you running an alto on lpg it give such good FE i am getting around 14-15 local with my 185r13 60 before that when the car was new i use to get 22 23

anyways my reasons are
1The smell my neighbor are running pon lpg and the car smell car is so irritating
2.My mom thinks in case of a rear end collosion the kit could bust

Lastly i donn't mind paying more for my moms peace of mind(waisa i don't pay for ma fuel bill till now my dad does for me )
Old 14th March 2007, 08:55   #8
BHPian

Voted for Others . I see it is just the availability of LPG filling stations and missing flexibility which you get in case of petrol. Frankly speaking I have not seen a single LPG filling stations without those autorick queues.
Old 14th March 2007, 09:48   #9
BHPian

i wanted to convert to lgp...that's cos since am a student and cant afford to pay all my pocket money on petrol bills...i heard that it cant regulate the proper flow of gas because of the ecm and even the injector get spoilt...(is all that true)and does it got any other problems...i dont mind loosing boot space and dont want to loose the smooth drive...
Old 14th March 2007, 11:56   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent poll, Surprise and a compliment to the CNG / LPG article. Thanks for opening this.

In a country which is so sensitive to FE and fuel costs, I find it surprising that there arent more LPG / CNG converts. The reason for me not converting is that I only have two petrol cars; the Vtec and the Jeep. Both of them have a combined running now of less than 1000 kms / month. So no point. The heavy runners are the C220 and the Indigo.

This is why I think many have not converted over to LPG / CNG yet:

1. Common-rail diesels : When you can have economy with a stock engine, which is also fast and fuel-efficient....why go in for gas? Most cars already have / are coming out with common-rails so the choice increases. Even regular diesels like the Indica brigade do the job pretty well.

2. Convenience : Availability, boot space etc.

3. Reliability : Many dont want to alter their new cars, or are worried about after-market alternatives. Recently introduced factory-fitted packages (and those from authorised service stations) should take care of this.

4. Awareness : There is a lack of mass awareness on the topic. And the benefits included.

I used to think that safety was one concern of potential buyers....but not too many people on this thread have spoken about it so far.

Old 14th March 2007, 12:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good poll this one is.

Apart from wanting to maintain the originality, worrying about loosing the boot space and worrying about safety and loss of power, I also have another concern. My car is run only for around 1k to 1.5k per month. I am also planning to sell it off for one of the good common rails sometime next year. So, this does not make for a good investment as I will not be able to recover it. This is the main reason why I am not considering conversion to LPG.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the most important & probably the only reason is that there is no necessity to convert as in GTO's case.
Old 14th March 2007, 13:20   #13
BHPian

first and the most important whould be loss of power then it is loss of boot-space
pying for petrol is ofcourse a matter while i use to pay 4 rupee per litre in my country when here is almost 12 times more man but i love my car the way and i am happy
Old 14th March 2007, 13:21   #14
BHPian

guys
can some one tell me how it effects negative on engine because i have no idea about this
Old 14th March 2007, 13:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Why are you running an alto on lpg it give such good FE i am getting around 14-15 local with my 185r13 60 before that when the car was new i use to get 22 23
Simple to get even lower running cost than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
2.My mom thinks in case of a rear end collosion the kit could bust
This wont happen if the install is proper and the tank is approved.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 14th March 2007 at 13:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks