Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 11:20   #16

with permission from all of tbhpians, may I have the wackiest suggetion for cold air intake??
why not route the intake into the cabin and switch on A/C????
It must be the perfect "cold air" intake system without much karcha of installing a intercooler. or perhaps route a pipe from one of the A/C vents to the intake.
Sorry Guys.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:39   #17
Team-BHP Support

steve, your suggestion is very good, but looking at the rate the engine sucks in air, you would sit in a hot cabin, not to mention the irritating whoosh. Its good when its muted, but inside the cabin it will be headache.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:18   #18
BHPian

hi rishibravo,
i have a universal K&N filter in my 2002 1.2 palio elx too. its in the same location only thing my flange is a little longer. tried to keep it as far away from the engine as possible. but what ive done is, ive fixed a 2 inch pipe that guides in cold air from the front grill that hits the filter directly. make a bit of a diff at low speeds but make a real BIG diff at high speeds!!! Try it. my car is not so sluggish at low speeds either and my AC is always on! hope you reset your ECU after the instalation on the filter.
Old 18th April 2007, 14:21   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent topic; I was looking at improving the positioning of my Vtec K&N too. Right now, its exposed to HOT air!

Quote:
Why cant we go for a filter which has got a heat shield.?
Any info on this? I remember seeing some cars abroad, which had a plastic heatshield covering half of the K&N. The open half was toward the top.
Old 18th April 2007, 14:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why cant we go for a filter which has got a heat shield.?

i had a simota conical filter which had a carbon fibre cover over it which prevented heat and water from damaging the filter to some extent but somehow it didnt work out (the engine got chocked because the size of the filter inside the cover was not bigger than an ice cream cone) so i installed the stock filter back (after i got headers and a FFE) and the performance is a little better now compared to the simota.!
Old 18th April 2007, 14:45   #21
BHPian

Hi Faithless,

Was the Simota filter you had part of the Aero Form product? something like this: http://www.simota.com/search_03.php

Cheers,
Ajit
Old 18th April 2007, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

this is the filter which i had....

but i guess its not just the filter`s fault ,even the installation/piping was not correct ,maybe ill just get a k&n stock replacement filter now.
Old 18th April 2007, 15:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Wow, your filter goes right into the engine bay to get hot air, no wonder it did not work.
Old 18th April 2007, 15:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, your filter goes right into the engine bay to get hot air, no wonder it did not work.
Yup ,thats why i mentioned in my post that it was not entirely the filter`s fault (although its smaller than a Ractive or a k&n conical filter) even the installation/piping was not correct.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops View Post
hi rishibravo,
i have a universal K&N filter in my 2002 1.2 palio elx too. its in the same location only thing my flange is a little longer. tried to keep it as far away from the engine as possible. but what ive done is, ive fixed a 2 inch pipe that guides in cold air from the front grill that hits the filter directly. make a bit of a diff at low speeds but make a real BIG diff at high speeds!!! Try it. my car is not so sluggish at low speeds either and my AC is always on! hope you reset your ECU after the instalation on the filter.
Anoop could you post a pic of the pipe which you have installed. I want to see the install .
I removed the OEM hosing and put an induction pipe instead. Now the install looks like this

I was wondering if getting a metallic heat shield like the following pic would help

I personally feel there would be nothing better than a scoop in the bonnet or the fender ,but I cant do that to my car
Old 18th April 2007, 18:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is how, ideally, you would mount a cone filter:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post414263

Keep the stock OEM pipe because it would transmit less heat to the intake air than a metal pipe.

No need to route the box to slits in the bumper. Just try to get it as down below the engine bay as possible.

With this setup, there is also no need to re-route the IAT (i doubt it has any real merits other than causing unnecessary enrichment and maybe even knocking with the advanced timing).

Last edited by ananthkamath : 18th April 2007 at 18:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks