Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2020, 14:24   #3721
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I was initially reluctant to post this as I am not as knowledgeable about the Thar as I am for other cars so apologies in advance for any mistakes

My father's friend recently bought a Mahindra Thar 4x4 and since he knew my father for being the Jeep/That enthusiastic he is, we got the beast for 1-2 weeks. Prior to receiving this gorgeous beast, I was not really a fan of both the Jeep and the Thar and thought it would be of no fun to drive, however my father took me for a small off-roading trip and my opinion took an immediate U-turn. We went to a mountain located in Kerala's Idduki district called Ilaveezhapoonchira (trying to pronounce this was harder than the actual off-roading ). The beast conquered most of the mountain with ease in 4H but when I shifted it to 4L, I truly understood why it was dubbed "legendary". For my first true off-roading experience, it was absolutely nothing short of a blast.

My father's friend had modified the car a lot as it now had larger wheels suited for off-roading (apologies for not knowing any of the specifications), small LED lights, Iron Man suspension kit, a reverse camera (grateful for this as I'm a bit spoiled ) among others.

Not being as knowledgeable about the Thar as other members of this forum, could someone tell me what the N is in the 4WD gear selector?

Attached below is a picture I took of the beast after having conquered the mountain with a name that's mouthful.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_20200208_175109.jpg  

fastturtle10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 16:10   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
While spraying Lithium grease between the leaf springs today, I noticed a circular dish jutting out on the left spring assembly. I could not push it back as the springs are under load when vehicle is on ground. I showed it to a leaf spring repairing shop and he said that it has no function and we always remove it while repairing
I did not take his word and tried searching over internet but could not find the right answer. Does anyone know why this dish is installed between the leafs?

These PU inserts prevent the squeaking sound from the leaf set when they grind each other : prevents direct metal to metal contact.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:02   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastturtle10 View Post
could someone tell me what the N is in the 4WD gear selector?
N=Neutral, no drive to either the front or the rear wheels!
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:02   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
N=Neutral, no drive to either the front or the rear wheels!

Thanks for the response but could you also tell me a scenario where you would have to shift it to Neutral?
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:09   #3725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the response but could you also tell me a scenario where you would have to shift it to Neutral?
The Jeeps being military recon vehicles apart from many other purposes it's used for, Jeep can be towed flat , as in with all 4 wheels on the ground behind a military truck if needed without anyone being inside the Jeep. So the transfer case needs to disengage the gearbox and stuff like that to prevent excessive wear, an alternative method is to disconnect the drive shafts with by crawling underneath it.

Another reason is Jeeps were used as a tractor , with accessories to plough the field as well as operate pneumatic drilling equipment , farm equipment etc , so the transfer case had to be isolated in this case as well when the PTO is running.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 06:23   #3726
BHPian

Does anyone here have Thar DI/M2DICR Service manual, preferably M2DICR? It'd be really helpful for a project. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:21   #3727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Does anyone here have Thar DI/M2DICR Service manual, preferably M2DICR? It'd be really helpful for a project. Thanks.
I wanted to have the workshop manual for my CRDe but Mahindra says that it is a confidential document to be given only to dealers!! I even escalated to customer care but nothing happens

You will be lucky if someone has it
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 10:49   #3728

Quote:
The N(Neutral) position in a Transfer Case disengages the drive to both front and rear differentials via the propeller shafts. In case there an issue with the gearbox or the differentials and the vehicle needs to be towed, it would be wise to tow it with the transmission completely disengaged. It can also be used to release the stress built up in the drive train due to transmission rewinding.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 00:27   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
hello Sandy,

Please pardon my ignorance , is it the same as Owners manual ?
If yes here it is !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR m2DiCR_LCCR BS4_OM_DITAMAP_01072016.pdf (10.40 MB, 848 views)
Old 16th March 2020, 06:26   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
hello Sandy,

Please pardon my ignorance , is it the same as Owners manual ?
If yes here it is !
Thank you for the reply. Sadly no, it's the elusive Service/Workshop manual I'm after. Mahindra seems to believe it deserves to be heavily guarded.
Old 4th July 2020, 22:17   #3731
BHPian

Thar Roof Modification - Suggestions & Feedback Please

Hello,

I have a Mahindra Thar, and have always wanted an open-top jeep experience. However, the soft-top canvas is too cumbersome to remove, and even more difficult to put back. If it rains, you'll be drenched for an hour before being able to place it back.

To this end, I was thinking of possibly making some body modifications for two purposes:

1. Make the canvas easier to remove - probably with a combination of velcros and snap fastners (tich buttons) such that the roof could be rolled away easily and unrolled whenever required.

2. Make some changes to the upper body (the metal rods specifically): Simply removing the canvas is not enough, Thar looks ugly that way. So thinking of changing that to, possibly, something like this:

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar2.jpg

[Image source: Overdrive]

This is only for the metal structure/bars on the upper part of the body, not the doors. And this is especially needed for the rear portion, as it requires enough structure to support the canvas above - whereas the front portion already has areas to properly place the soft-top. Again, the rear is ugly and therefore needs to be changed, but such that it is able to provide proper support for a canvas (whenever it is unrolled).

Now, I would be grateful if the extremely knowledgeable members here could guide me on a few things:

1. What are the potential areas I should be careful about? What are the problems that could arise?

2. I'm looking for a soft top that could probably roll at the back of the car (behind the seats) or at the top of B-pillar. Would the metal structure I am using as a reference above be suitable for that?

3. Any possible leads on where I could possibly contact people to execute this job? I tried asking a couple of 'famed' "Thar modifiers" in Delhi-NCR, turns out their expertise lies only in replacing rear seats with those of Innova's, adding a hard-top and some LEDs. Sigh.

4. I understand it could possibly affect the structural stability of the car. The question is, how much would it be affected? What possible precautions I can take to prevent that?

Any other inputs from anyone who might have seen or executed a similar modification would also be immensely helpful.

The intended use of the vehicle is not off-roading at all; rather, for leisure drives & weekend getaways.

Thanks!

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 4th July 2020 at 22:20.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:40   #3732
BHPian

My friend made a poster as tribute to Thar. Sharing it here.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-screenshot_202007141116312.png

Sharing the link to the instagram post if someone likes to give a token of appreciation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCf8sSmD...d=wvig035kmp3j

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th July 2020 at 11:18. Reason: Attaching image.
albertprince is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 12:14   #3733
BHPian

Hello everyone,

When I drive my Thar at speeds between 80 to 100, my gear stick becomes extremely hot. It cools down in slows speeds or stop and go traffic. It's so hot that I can barely touch the metal. I also feel some kind of warm air escaping from the hole where the leather wrap ends. What could possibly be the reason ? The entire central console feels very warm and aircon feel inefective because of this.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 9th August 2020 at 12:29.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:46   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Hello everyone,

When I drive my Thar at speeds between 80 to 100, my gear stick becomes extremely hot. It cools down in slows speeds or stop and go traffic. It's so hot that I can barely touch the metal. I also feel some kind of warm air escaping from the hole where the leather wrap ends. What could possibly be the reason ? The entire central console feels very warm and aircon feel inefective because of this.
Cannot say about the gear stick but if the air conditioner becomes in-effective, check the heater lines and heater cutout. My experience is, if the heater sticks to open position, the AC blows warm air - and hot air if AC switched off and just the blower working.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:49   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Cannot say about the gear stick but if the air conditioner becomes in-effective, check the heater lines and heater cutout. My experience is, if the heater sticks to open position, the AC blows warm air - and hot air if AC switched off and just the blower working.
I never mentioned my AC is blowing hot air or not working well. Its because of the heat from gear area I cannot feel the effectiveness. I hope I am clear now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks