Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars

Many of the DIYs that BHPians on the diy forum have performed have relied on blank keys be it for using them as a place for buttons or discovering some hidden feature behind these blanks.

Lower end models of cars which don’t have all the features and gizmos of the fully loaded variant are supplied with these blanks to fill spaces.
On cars that are sold internationally there are many blanks used to fill spaces when the feature isn’t available in our country.

For example the superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

I will complain of the several dummy buttons around the gear lever. It just feels wrong in such an expensive car, and mind you, this is the top spec L&K variant:Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-5e5c4c7dd07745b39d73d96495a1cbee.jpegFill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-ddb55968f77d4765897226e01e47cb0d.jpeg

That said,
Even an expensive S Class comes with blanks. Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-a7e2e0aad5dd46a9a84343f0d4cb9654.jpeg

These blanks look unwieldy in our cars and it pricks that we didn’t get the fully loaded version.
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-6777a1ff3280407d9306903fc2275d3c.jpeg

I watch a lot of car audio installs on YouTube and a very common use for these blank spaces are to mount bass knobs to control subwoofer volume.
Like this,
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-1a57f14e0bb14639b0cb19b674ec6b5e.jpeg

My safari storme VX is a 4x2 and has a blank over the place where the 4x4 has a 4H/4L/2L shift on fly knob.There is a picture on the safari storme official review thread.
A safari storme owner fitted a 2DIN system in the car but what caught my eye is the sticker on the blank. And how it can be used for a TPMS readout.

Adding a screen on a blank like this.
This is another DIY by BHPian GHPK in his santro
For a battery voltage readout on a blank switch in his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
, I installed a D.C. voltage monitor in my Santro Xing.Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-3ae6763abb4948bf8e63ec795d996c87.jpeg
BHPian Reinhard has used a blank in the alto for a switch for a projector fog lamp.Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-0a59af4ae20b4cd79bdbd257adb091d4.jpeg

On the other hand a funny fix is to add a sticker like this!Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-dda29fdf7b444bb7a39c755fd0135204.jpeg
Name:  0C23B5D1F2EA439B80F1FED4C99BB602.gif
Views: 18622
Size:  147.7 KB

I’m starting this thread to ask other BHPians for ideas which can be used for all the other DIYers out there

Last edited by viXit : 7th August 2020 at 21:49.
viXit is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 07:45   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Modifications Section. Thanks for sharing!

Killer thread idea . Will go to homepage on Monday.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 08:35   #3
BHPian

The Vento/Polo also has many. I don't know if it's easy to source a similar looking and high-quality feeling button or not.
  1. If I can, then one will be for any retrofit lamps like a projector in fogs.
  2. One for cabin lighting - single button press to on and off both front and back- needs bit of working, but will be super useful IMO.
  3. If they were customisable, I'd have a God's pic printed (with backlighting), since in Vento, they're right above the center console. This way, I can keep the dash clean without a physical idol. And anyday a backlit pic or text looks great. I fancy them.
saisailendra is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 08:45   #4
BHPian

I wish those dummy buttons near the gear lever are filled with gear buttons. P, R, N, D, S (like CRV). For manual mode, give paddle shifters.

Personally, I do prefer gear lever (for the feel) but I also want a lot of storage space, large cup holders. And I think, if introduced, with time I will start loving the buttons for the convenience and also have a lot more space at my disposal to keep small things.
Old 8th August 2020, 09:44   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I’m starting this thread to ask other BHPians for ideas which can be used for all the other DIYers out there
When I had my Swift, I had done a Bi-Xenon Fog light projector retrofit. For the high beam activation, I used a seperate OEM switch, which I placed it in the blank area.

Blank area as visible
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-img_20170501_015902_copy_1280x720.jpg

Bought an OEM Fog light switch and connected the high beam wiring to it
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-img_20170503_191651_copy_1280x2275.jpg

Blank replaced with new switch
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-img_20170508_225322_copy_1280x720.jpg

Sadly, my Creta doesn't have any blank switches for any MODS.
a4anurag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lovely idea.

Some ideas from my side:
1. Buttons for different horns - Check this video.

2. If you have aux lamps, add controls to such buttons - This is a common mod in Maruti cars which didn't come with fog lamps from the factory.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2020 at 13:25. Reason: 1st one wasn't possible
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 14:39   #7
BHPian

I have a TPMS monitor installed in the place of these blank plates. The TPMS display draws power via an empty fuse slot (power on with ignition) in the fuse box located right behind the blank plates. I can look at it occasionally and it also provides an audio alarm in case of any issues.

Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-20190525_103220.jpg
nikhn is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
My safari storme VX is a 4x2 and has a blank over the place where the 4x4 has a 4H/4L/2L shift on fly knob.There is a picture on the safari storme official review thread.
Excellent topic for a thread!

Mine is also a Storme, of 2016 make (V400 4X2). Unlike the ones which were manufactured in later 2017-18 (until production stopped), which had a charging point below the ICE unit, mine had the cigrette lighter there and the blank on the 4x4 switch side.
Being a sucker for OE look and feel, I decided to retain the lighter as is and did a DIY to add a separate dedicated charging point.
Attached Thumbnails
Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-img_20200704_211421__01.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 17:02   #9
BHPian

Growing up as a kid, my favorite movie was Condorman, and of course his epic Condormobile. Check out the awesome buttons he had.Name:  Condormobile.png
Views: 16099
Size:  208.9 KB

Inspired by this, and other Bond movies as well, here is my list of fake buttons
1) Ejection button
2) Front/Rear laser button
3) Machine gun F/R button
4) Smoke screen button
5) Grenade launcher button
6) Boat/Submarine convertor button
7) Parachute activate button
8) Rotating number plates button
9) Fart button (yeah, I am still behave like a juvenile sometimes)
10) HUGE red button which says Do Not Touch
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved.......... Thanks for sharing!

Killer thread idea . Will go to homepage on Monday.
Wow! Thank you so much.
I was thrilled to see this!
A great honour so soon into me joining TeamBHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
The Vento/Polo also has many. I don't know if it's easy to source a similar looking and high-quality feeling button or not.
  1. If I can, then one will be for any retrofit lamps like a projector in fogs.
  2. One for cabin lighting - single button press to on and off both front and back- needs bit of working, but will be super useful IMO.
  1. The Honda city (2016) has a single button for front and back. And again can be use independently from the back.

Super super useful.
    Only problem might be access behind the headliner.
    Quote:
  2. If they were customisable, I'd have a God's pic printed (with backlighting), since in Vento, they're right above the center console. This way, I can keep the dash clean without a physical idol. And anyday a backlit pic or text looks great. I fancy them.
I would love something like that too.

Switch for ambient lighting is a also very nice idea.
Especially if we can switch the modes like cabin lights

To have modes like
1) DOOR AJAR
2) ON
3) OFF

I have only seen ambient light installs with on or off
It should be automatic with the doors. That would be a nice retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Lovely idea.
Thank you
Quote:

Some ideas from my side:
1. Buttons for different horns - Check this video.

2. If you have aux lamps, add controls to such buttons - This is a common mod in Maruti cars which didn't come with fog lamps from the factory.

Yes indeed,
Almost all the mods are Maruti switches with the green light. Haha

How would having different horns help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I have a TPMS monitor installed in the place of these blank plates. The TPMS display draws power via an empty fuse slot (power on with ignition) in the fuse box located right behind the blank plates. I can look at it occasionally and it also provides an audio alarm in case of any issues.

Attachment 2040075

Wow!
That looks amazing.

Expect me to have a lot of questions shortly.
I might do this in our city.
I think ours has a blank or two there too.
That fits so well it’s amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Excellent topic for a thread!

Mine is also a Storme, of 2016 make (V400 4X2). Unlike the ones which were manufactured in later 2017-18 (until production stopped), which had a charging point below the ICE unit, mine had the cigrette lighter there and the blank on the 4x4 switch side.
Being a sucker for OE look and feel, I decided to retain the lighter as is and did a DIY to add a separate dedicated charging point.

Thank you so much.

The whole idea to fill the blanks and use buttons was to make it ok OEM.
Toning beats that.

There was a time where the more number of buttons and equipment and screens was preferred as a nice show off tactic.

I prefer an OEM Look. Nothing beats it’s beauty.
But then it’s also risky to cut and mould panels to look factory. Takes a lot of dedicated effort

Ours is a late 2013.
And the blank covers clip broken so I’m trying to do something.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2020 at 23:38. Reason: Video deleted from quote
viXit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 10:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the car manufacturers do not provide a spare switch that fills up the blank slots. Maruti has the fog lamp switch which can be used to fill these slots on the cars and can be used to exercise the custom functionality.

I have been looking for such on/off switches to fill in the blanks for my i20. Hyundai does not have it as OEM accessory
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:12   #12
BHPian

Everybody is aware that we are getting speed cams everywhere in the country nowadays and in Delhi most of the main roads have speed cams installed. You have to be very conscious of the speed around the speed cams to not go above the specified speed limit (mostly 60 kmph) and in a deserted stretch it is very inconvenient.

I had a crazy idea sometime back that for budget cars with no cruise control some type of speed limiter can be installed and the buttons could be placed in the blanks. You can even put different speed limiters for different speeds - say one for 50 kmph, another for 60 kmph and another one for 90 kmph! It could be a desi cruise control jugaad

Last edited by parth.jain : 10th August 2020 at 11:14.
parth.jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:16   #13
BHPian

I always wished to do the following .

1. A light bar mounted above the windshield, aux lights in front of the car and bright reverse lights with its button right next to the steering wheel in the blank switches.
2. Under chassis lights connected to mood lights in the interior of the car
3. An onboard refrigerator

I have a 14 years old minivan now and use it for long distances. These would be nice to implement and use on long drives.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:37   #14
BHPian

This is an excellent Idea!!

Thank you for starting this thread.

Personally I find it a major put off when a manufacturer sells the same models internationally with all the bells and whistles and expects us to be content with whats on offer.

This would be fine except that in some cases these blanks literally are in your face and remind you that there is something missing which is available out there.

The blanks in the steering wheel is the main reason that I did not buy the Jeep Compass.

Fill in the blanks! Ideas to fill up blank / dummy buttons in cars-2017jeepcompass05.jpg
F1-Addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 14:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1-Addict View Post
This is an excellent Idea!!

Thank you for starting this thread.
Thanks
Welcome on board!
First post.
Quote:

Personally I find it a major put off when a manufacturer sells the same models internationally with all the bells and whistles and expects us to be content with whats on offer.
Offering alternate features and designs for our models would be a nice idea.
They just don’t care enough To invest that Little bit of effort and moolah.
Quote:
This would be fine except that in some cases these blanks literally are in your face and remind you that there is something missing which is available out there.

The blanks in the steering wheel is the main reason that I did not buy the Jeep Compass.
I would’ve done the same.
Looks really UGLY imho

Otherwise I hear the car is really great.

viXit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks