Team-BHP - Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/2294-tyre-pressure-gauge-portable-inflator-pump-foot-pump-3.html)

Please suggest TYRE pressure gauge & Foot Air pump. is Digital tyre pressure GAUGE worthy or can i go for FLOOR AIR PUMP which has its own pressure gauge. any good brand & possible shop reference in chennai. TIA.

guess there are no branded pumps being recommended!

searched ebay and got three interesting finds:

Powered ones:
eBay India: 12V CAR ELECTRIC PUMP AIR COMPRESSOR TIRE INFLATOR (item 280199986418 end time 20-Feb-2008 02:55:00 IST)

eBay India: 12V CAR ELECTRIC PUMP AIR COMPRESSOR TIRE INFLATOR (item 310022818913 end time 20-Feb-2008 00:59:03 IST)

Foot pump:
eBay India: Multi Purpose FOOT AIR PUMP (item 220200747251 end time 11-Mar-2008 13:14:57 IST)

None of the sellers are mentioning the manufacturer details!

The motored ones, I do not know how their motor quality is and how much they can deliver. I feel foot pump is better.

So, which one do you all suggest?

A friend got me a digital tire pressure gauge from US (brand MonkeyGrip).. it is pretty good, best thing about it is that the batteries (button cells) can be replaced.. and it has a torch (like that Nokia 1110) and display is back lit. he bought it from radioshack and i think it was a bit pricey compared to the most 20$ gauges. think it was 30$-ish but < 40$ i have come to hate any digital gadget whose life is determined by the battery life.

Any foot pump is OK. The pressure gauge on foot pump is way off. think i paid Rs 300-400 for the one I got for my bicycle.

With a good pressure gauge and foot pump, u never have to stand in line for filling up air outside!

i am looking at things that we get in India. as it stands now, I will not be heading to US for some time nor do I have anyone traveling. so that is out of the question.

so, foot pump is best bet? I have a air pressure gauge, which on last check, was accurate! guess i will order that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 725776)
Any foot pump is OK. The pressure gauge on foot pump is way off. think i paid Rs 300-400 for the one I got for my bicycle.

I also have a foot pump bought for similar price, but I rarely use it for anything else other than the bicycle. For car, the problem is that everytime i am in the process of fastening or removing the latch, a lot of air escapes. Not sure if it is a problem with the pump or my (mis)handling of the same.

Any comments / suggestions?

Quote:

so, foot pump is best bet? I have a air pressure gauge, which on last check, was accurate! guess i will order that one.
Yep. Especially since it doesn't cost much. A decent investment.

Quote:

For car, the problem is that everytime i am in the process of fastening or removing the latch, a lot of air escapes. Not sure if it is a problem with the pump or my (mis)handling of the same.
definitely seems like mishandling. there will be some leak when u r fastening, but none while removing. u should pull down the latch without much delay to avoid the leak. but removing seems to be no trouble at all.

in fact, I have more trouble with the measuring gauge than the foot pump as far as leaks are concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreenidhibr (Post 725840)
I also have a foot pump bought for similar price, but I rarely use it for anything else other than the bicycle. For car, the problem is that everytime i am in the process of fastening or removing the latch, a lot of air escapes. Not sure if it is a problem with the pump or my (mis)handling of the same.

Any comments / suggestions?

:eek: .. any other users can give their opinion?

(almost ordered the stuff off ebay! )

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 725959)
Yep. Especially since it doesn't cost much. A decent investment...

:thumbs up got that mate. thanks!

okie... yesterday did a flip and ordered the motored pump!

eBay India: 12V CAR ELECTRIC PUMP AIR COMPRESSOR TIRE INFLATOR (item 310022818913 end time 20-Feb-2008 00:59:03 IST)

strange that they say that it will be shipped by 25th and then 10 days for it to reach. guess then are bringing it down in a bike!!!

hope and pray that I made a good choice (have to live with it!!!).

got the pump.

cons:
it looks a bit flimsy to go about filling for the 250psi that is said in the site. its seems to be good for the 30-40psi range. it does take its own time to fill. too loud.

Pros:
light weight! very easy to carry around. have wrapped it in a piece of cloth and kept is in the boot. fills air(Duh!)

let me see how it holds out when required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 729825)
got the pump.

cons:
it looks a bit flimsy to go about filling for the 250psi that is said in the site. its seems to be good for the 30-40psi range. it does take its own time to fill. too loud.

Pros:
light weight! very easy to carry around. have wrapped it in a piece of cloth and kept is in the boot. fills air(Duh!)

let me see how it holds out when required.

Hey I'm looking to get one too.. What do you suggest? Will a normal foot pump suffice?? And what about the accuracy of the built-in preassure guage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by praveen_v (Post 729881)
Hey I'm looking to get one too.. What do you suggest? Will a normal foot pump suffice?? And what about the accuracy of the built-in pressure gauge?

it was accurate (would expect that at least in the first two fills!!!). I also have a separate pressure gauge; used it to check after filling and the pressure shown on both were same.

i cannot comment on a foot pump vs motor pump, as of now, because i have not used the motor pump enough. but at slightly less than 600 Rs, I would be happy if this works for at least a year.

I bought a compressor pump from a shop near my house for Rs 900. It is allegedly imported. It comes in a square box of 18" size. It also has a foldable light that comes in handy during wheel changes in pitch darkness.
I used it recently to fill air in a totally flat tyre on my WagonR, and it did its job pretty well in about 5 minutes. A foot pump would have taken more than 100 strokes to do the same, and would have left me with a calf ache.

The only item i dislike is that the guage shows a reading till 200 psi, and hence I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

I dont want a pump to fill air from flat to full preassure. I just want it to top-up air maybe once in two days in the mornings. So i think i can do with a normal foot-pump. Any brands to look for?

How many foot strokes are needed for say a 1 psi increase when the tyre is almost at the rated preassure?? Just wanted to know how much effort it takes to fill air :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 730398)
I bought a compressor pump from a shop near my house for Rs 900. It is allegedly imported. It comes in a square box of 18" size. It also has a foldable light that comes in handy during wheel changes in pitch darkness.
I used it recently to fill air in a totally flat tyre on my WagonR, and it did its job pretty well in about 5 minutes. A foot pump would have taken more than 100 strokes to do the same, and would have left me with a calf ache.

The only item i dislike is that the guage shows a reading till 200 psi, and hence I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

can you please tell me the shop you got this from?