Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 01:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India

Film needed. : around 200 sq ft per car.

Cost : Rs. 1,00,000, per car.

Cost per square foot: Rs. 500.

Weight of the film. : around 20 gm per sq ft

So, we pay around Rs. 25,000 per kg of the film.

Agreed, this includes labour too. But still, this sounds crazy. In the flexible packaging units that I had set up for my clients, we used to purchase the polyester films (12 micron thick) at Rs. 100 - 120 per kg.

And the laminated films including 6-color printing, the heat-setting adhesive (for sticking 3 layers together) and slitting to finished width, are sold at less than Rs. 300 per kg. This multi layer film (polyester + metallised polyester + LDPE) is around 60 micron thick whereas the PPF is polyurethane film, typically 200 micron thick. But by any stretch of imagination, I am not able to understand the cost of Rs. 1,00,000 per car, which translates to Rs. 25,000 per kg of film.

Can experts throw any light on this?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th December 2020 at 10:46. Reason: Typo
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 10:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
So, we pay around Rs. 25,000 per sq ft of the film.

Can experts throw any light on this?
I believe you meant 25000/kg of the film. Let me give you the actual stats of an 8mil urethane film - the 250sft roll comes to around 15kilos including the backing paper and the protective film on top. If you take the actual weight of the PPF as 10kg, it is around 40gms per sft.

The thing with such products is that it's a high margin business. Under the shadow of the brand name, the reputed ones charge insane prices for what is basically a better type of urethane which won't fade and Crack and a better adhesive compared to the cheapest in the lot. I had contacted quite a few manufacturers in China where they offered 250SFT rolls from as low as 12k till around 40k for the best of spec rolls. The major difference is in the thickness of the poly film, the manufacturer of the urethane coating (BASF Germany for costlier ones) and the glue.

A 250sft roll is more than sufficient for an Innova. For a hatchback or sedan the requirement is even lesser. Hence if you look at the quotes given by the bigger brands, it involves margins at various levels as well as establishment costs and so. But I won't believe that they have a magic plastic which the cheaper options don't get.

Thats been the case with the detailing business in India as well. It first started with polishing and using a sealant, which was around 4-5k for an average car ten years back. Then they realised Ceramic coating was a higher margin business and switched to that. PPF is the new entrant and it is also easy to convince a customer for it due to the immense benefits.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 23:24   #18
BHPian

Took the plunge and got my new white Skoda Superb wrapped with Garware PPF. The guy was very confident that the quality of garware is at par with higher grades of 3m ppf. Let's see how it holds up.
Old 14th January 2022, 23:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
Took the plunge and got my new white Skoda Superb wrapped with Garware PPF. The guy was very confident that the quality of garware is at par with higher grades of 3m ppf. Let's see how it holds up.
Congrats for your new ride.
Can you share the cost for Garware PPF and the warranty details pls
Old 15th January 2022, 15:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Congrats for your new ride.
Can you share the cost for Garware PPF and the warranty details pls
The ride is one year old now��. It costed me 1.2 lakhs for full body wrap and warranty is 5 years. Film is holding good as of now and definitely self-heals.
Old 18th January 2022, 19:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The ride is one year old now��. It costed me 1.2 lakhs for full body wrap and warranty is 5 years. Film is holding good as of now and definitely self-heals.
Hey, from where did you get the PPF installed? I am also planning to install Garware PPF on my new Octy, seems considerable option to me leaving aside those expensive alternatives.

Would you mind sharing some pictures of your car which can show how this film is holding up after an year of use. Do you see any discolouration or any red flags to share?
Old 31st January 2022, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Requesting a feedback from existing customers of Garware PPF. Ex: How do you find its effectiveness vis-a-vis 3M?

I am being quoted INR 95,000/- for protecting entire Honda City by the car dealer. If anybody applied the PPF for a Honda City or comparable model, what was the expense incurred?
Old 12th September 2022, 21:23   #23
BANNED

Has anyone got their PPF done by Garware and any feedback?

Thanks in advance as this will benefit a lot of folks trying to get PPF done from a reputed brand. Garware has a good name in India.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:27   #24
BHPian

I got my white Superb wrapped in Garware PPF in Dec 2020. It costed me around ~1.4lakhs with 5 year warranty. There is no doubt on authenticity of the film. Since I had heard bad things about 3M and other well known brands were too costly, my dealer reccomended to go ahead with Garware. This was my first experience with PPF and hence can't compare it to other brands or previous installations. Here's my experience :-

1. The film has started yellowing. While I expected it to yellow but IMO, the pace of yellowing is faster than what I would have liked. The car has just covered around ~15k and is always parked in shade.
2. I am satisfied with the self-healing as well as the protection. There were some minor incidents where I thought the film wouldn't protect the car but it did.
3. Recently, my car got a major dent in the quarter panel and I had to get the dent removed and get the car painted. While it has just been under 2 years, there was absolutely no problem in removing the film. The removal was easy and there was no damage on the paint.
4. I got the PPF applied again on the quarter panel but because of yellowing there is a very visible difference in the colour of the newly applied vs old PPF. Since I raised an issue of yellowing with the applicator and he raised it to brand manager for the region, they didn't charge me for the new PPF. So I am happy with the service as of now.
Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:29   #25
BANNED

Quote:
I got my white Superb wrapped in Garware PPF in Dec 2020. It costed me around ~1.4lakhs with 5 year warranty. There is no doubt on authenticity of the film. Since I had heard bad things about 3M and other well known brands were too costly, my dealer reccomended to go ahead with Garware. This was my first experience with PPF and hence can't compare it to other brands or previous installations. Here's my experience :-

1. The film has started yellowing. While I expected it to yellow but IMO, the pace of yellowing is faster than what I would have liked. The car has just covered around ~15k and is always parked in shade.
Thank you for the frank feedback about Garware PPF. Can you post some pictures of your vehicle as on today if possible? The yellowing may be hard to see from the pictures but it will be a good reference since you have a white vehicle.

Garware folks said that their PPF has anti-yellowing properties. It is a bit of a let down that you see yellowing happen before completing 2 years.

Also, its great to know removal was smooth!
Old 19th September 2022, 19:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnerForLife View Post
Thank you for the frank feedback about Garware PPF. Can you post some pictures
Here are some pics I captured
Attached Thumbnails
Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India-4b58d180aed1441eaff95dff75610db3.jpeg  

Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India-e38236203240448494dc353f2fb0d276.jpeg  

Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India-5b19f9b74bfa4698ab63f14d4c572e80.jpeg  

Zodak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 07:10   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Here are some pics I captured
Thanks for the pictures! BTW, did the Garware team open all the trims (like handles, boot etc) during the original fitment and then again during panel replacement?
Old 7th April 2023, 18:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. I got the PPF applied again on the quarter panel but because of yellowing there is a very visible difference in the colour of the newly applied vs old PPF. Since I raised an issue of yellowing with the applicator and he raised it to brand manager for the region, they didn't charge me for the new PPF. So I am happy with the service as of now.
How is the film holding up now? Any swirl marks showing up? Please do share latest pics.

Surprised they only compensated you by not charging for the new ppf that you applied. You are within warranty period and yellowing should be covered under warranty. Hence would be very well in your right to claim warranty and ask them to replace all panels that are yellowing.

I am considering Garware for two car I am expecting soon, both are navy blue hence yellowing should not be a concern.
However, if any experts can shed light on how yellowing can affect darker colors? Will it make the car paint look pale or dull?

The price difference is almost 50% compared to Xpel and Llumar. Installers claims it comparable to Llumar Platinum and one claimed that garware has better shine.

An interesting marketing twist by Garware is that they will replace any panel damaged for a flat rate of Rs.8000. This lures me further because I find myself living with scratch ppf panels because they are too expensive to replace.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th April 2023 at 18:17.
Old 7th April 2023, 18:40   #29
BHPian

I will try to share the latest pictures. There are no swirl marks but then I clean the car myself and most of the times I just need to wipe the dust off with Jopasu duster.

I will ask for a warranty replacement this year. I didn't go for it yet because in my mind I an still worried about the damage to the original paint which might happen due to peeling off the earlier application of the PPF.
Old 13th April 2023, 00:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will try to share the latest pictures. There are no swirl marks but then I clean the car myself and most of the times I just need to wipe the dust off with Jopasu duster.

I will ask for a warranty replacement this year. I didn't go for it yet because in my mind I a still worried about the damage to the original paint which might happen due to peeling off the earlier application of the PPF.
I don’t think you need to worry about damage to original paint. It’s a TPU film and will come off without affecting your paint. Moreover, if it were so then the longer you wait the worse it would be.

I checked with my installer and he confirmed that Garware does give warranty against anti yellowing
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks