Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 18:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India

Garware Polyester, a manufacturer of polyester and sun control films in India, has commenced the production of paint protection films for automobiles. Currently, paint protection films have an estimated global market size of US$ 500 million (Rs. 3,680 crore) and is dominated by global giants like 3M, Llumar, XPEL and others.

Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India-ppf1.jpg

A paint protection film is designed to give automobile paint coatings protection and impact resistance. These films are clear and self-healing. These films are claimed to extend the life of the paint coating on vehicles. The paint protection film is manufactured using thermoplastic polyurethane film (TPU) and is claimed to protect the vehicle’s paint from scratches, dents and damage caused by road debris and rocks, as well as from environmental elements, through its force-dissipation properties.

The company estimates paint protection films to contribute 20% of FY23 revenue estimated at an incremental Rs. 300 crore. The company also claims that the film will also be more competitively priced than those available in the Indian market today.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2020 at 18:22.
Aditya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Garware Polyester starts making Paint Protection Films in India

Garware is a company started by a visionary, industrious and hardworking man. Salute to him.

Besides having a good product, I hope they manage the affairs well. I expect that the customers, after placing the truck load orders and making the payment, don't have to take separate efforts (of all kinds) on the insiders to locate the rolls and load them in time. I expect that their dealership network shall be defined and they shall respond to the product enquiries or at least channelize these through their dealers. I expect that the overall experience of dealing with them shall be like dealing with a dynamic, efficient organization and not a slow, indifferent organization.

I wish them the best.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

What Garware (as well as some well-known brands) are missing is visibility and retail presence similar to what the likes of 3M has established. If they have a quality product and good last mile reach, no reason why they should not overtake the established players!
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:45   #4
BHPian

Have used thier sunfilms in the past, which performed well and were reasonably priced. Hoping they keep their PPF prices also reasonable and compete with branded and non-branded players who charge a bomb!
A dedicated showroom in major cities would be a plus, have heard some skill is required to achieve good finish and certain amount of pre-work on the paint too before application.
yogiii is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 21:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Take that, 3M! A desi alternative to your exorbitantly priced PPF is here. Just about everyone here has experienced a Garware sun film at some point, and people invariably have good things to say about it. What they need to do is open up brand stores to increase their visibility.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 23:00   #6
BHPian

I recently got Garware PPF installed on both our Kona and Fortuner shortly after delivery.

Not sure about exact pricing but it was around 2 Lac for both cars together, full body wrap.

Quality seems good, but then this is also the first time we've had any sort of body wrap installed on a car, so I can't really compare it to anything.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it holds up over the years, both with traffic scars and just time itself, especially since I have heard about clear films like these yellowing over time, which wouldn't be too ideal.
sanojrawap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 00:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanojrawap View Post
I recently got Garware PPF installed on both our Kona and Fortuner shortly after delivery.

Not sure about exact pricing but it was around 2 Lac for both cars together, full body wrap.
If this is costing around a lakh of rupees, it's market will be primarily the luxury cars above 25 - 30 lakhs. This means limited volumes. Let us see how they perform in the market.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 01:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

I thought Garware's clearcoated, self healing PPF has been out for over a year now ? Is this a different series ? The cost was in the ballpark of 3Ms standard ppf
Old 18th December 2020, 03:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I thought Garware's clearcoated, self healing PPF has been out for over a year now ? Is this a different series ? The cost was in the ballpark of 3Ms standard ppf
Same question. I suspect they now manufacture it here while they were importing it earlier. They had a press release and some demo videos with media channels over a year ago - example -

I wasn't able to find a single dealer or resource on the internet about where to get their stuff. Their website looks pre-broadband. Good luck to them with this lackadaisical attitude.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 07:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I suspect they now manufacture it here while they were importing it earlier.

Yep, they now manufacture it in India!
Old 18th December 2020, 10:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanojrawap View Post

Would you know the per sq feet price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If this is costing around a lakh of rupees, it's market will be primarily the luxury cars above 25 - 30 lakhs. This means limited volumes. Let us see how they perform in the market.
Not exactly, xpel ppf for instance costed me 60k just to do my wife's Nios.

My Seltos set me back by 90k and this excludes the roof.

Prima facie it seems better priced but we need the per sq ft price to be sure. Expel, 3m etc are all in the 550-600/ sq feet range.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 10:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

3M normal PPF costs Rs.595/sft in Bangalore. I think that is pretty high for what is basically a high quality plastic adhesive sheet. 3M is charging the premium for the brand value and the fact that it is made in USA and imported.

If Garware can make this in India and price around 300 to 350/sft with same/better quality than 3M, it will become pretty popular.

I understand that it requires skill as well to apply PPF without bubbles. However, Garware is in sunfilm business for long and anyone who can install sunfilm can be upskilled to install a PPF
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 13:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Garware Polyester, a manufacturer of polyester and sun control films in India, has commenced the production of paint protection films for automobiles.
Is there a press release to this effect? I have been seeing it on their website for ages now. Or could be a bolder marketing move to get going on this product.
Old 19th December 2020, 20:00   #14
BHPian

I was under the impression that Garware had been selling domestically manufacturered PPF for a while now
Maybe the press release is delayed. Price wise it doesn't seem much cheaper than the likes of Xpel, the best in the business. Why would anyone opt for Garware over Xpel or 3M at the same price point remains beyond me. Garware should have priced it much lower if its made in India.
Old 19th December 2020, 22:04   #15
BHPian

This seems like good news to me, since I am a fan of PPFs. I wish they price it competitively since it's manufactured locally. The other brand that I have tried is 3M PPF which now costs 595/sqft + taxes which adds up to a significant amount for a full wrap of any car. Anyone with a non-luxury car would not consider going for a PPF which costs almost 1lac to wrap the whole car, but if the cost comes down to say 50-60k then I am sure many will opt for it. Anyone has any idea about the exact price per sq. feet? I looked up on their website but couldn't find anything useful there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks