Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you repaint a brand new car?
Yes 28 6.59%
No 397 93.41%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 14:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?

There’s a massive semi conductor chip shortage worldwide so I don’t expect any new ckd kits coming in soon for the X1. The focus will be on the newer models first.
Getting a wrap done to change the colour is an absolute no brainier. A friend just went through the same process on his brand new GLE 43 AMG and changed the colour from a light bronze to a bright Yellow. And it looks fantastic!
Don’t even think about taking apart a brand new German car for repainting. You will never be able to get rid of the resulting creaks and rattles.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:18   #32
BHPian

My answer is no and the general consensus seems like a reaction to a chalk on chalkboard noise
People these days are scared to go to the service center for even basic jobs. One can only imagine what all they would do to a brand new car once stripped fully. Its scary to leave a new car at the mercy of the service guys.
Simple solution would be to show this thread to the missus and let her make a decision
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 14:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Guys, so here is my conundrum: I have been eyeing to buy a blue petrol X3 since December but there is no stock of 2020 model available in blue. It is available in white only, a color that has been summarily rejected by the home minister Now, I have been patiently waiting for 2021 bookings to open, but only to learn today that petrol X3 will not be in production till atleast June or July. So, a crazy thought occurred to me: how about getting the 2020 white one repainted before registration? Even if it costs me 1-1.5L, it will still be cheaper than a 2021 model due to higher discounts on 2020 one. As per my SA, the VIN database will still point to OEM paint as white. Not sure what are its implications. Does it make sense at all, or I just bite the bullet and wait it out few more months and hope the dates are not pushed indefinitely?
This will be a pointless exercise, a waste of time, money and paint quality issues that will be forthcoming. Factory paint quality cannot be matched no matter whoever paint it manually, especially for BMW kind of cars.

Other cost-effective and practical option that you can think of shall be to wrap the car in Blue, which will be easily available. If that is not acceptable then it would be better to wait as the wait will be worthwhile than painting a brand new car for the sake of a specific colour.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:42   #34
BHPian

If it's not in production there must be a good reason behind it, it's due for a midlife update/facelift so one can expect that to be launched soon.

What you save in discounts, you might end up loosing in re-sale values and uncertainty of the final outcome of a dealer level repaint.

Fresh facelift 2021/22 model will have slightly more re-sale than a discounted 2020 older model.

Please wait it out....
Old 15th March 2021, 14:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

NO, because:
  1. Factory painting goes through number of treatments, including anti-rust treatment
  2. Repainting means striping off everything, including removing the doors. One can never get the same alignments and torquing.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 15:01   #36
BHPian

Color of the vehicle Inventory (including other details like VIN, Engine No. etc) is specified by the OEMs in E-Vahan : Homolgation interface which is accessible to the RTOs at their end. So, when Dealer approaches RTO for the registration, RTO will validate the details of the vehicle through E-Vahan portal.
If in Registration application (Application Form20 & Sale Ceritificate Form 21) the different color is mentioned then the registration itself will be denied by RTO.
Of course, you can change the color of the car after registration. But you will have to notify the RTO regarding this and get the color change endorsed in your vehicle RC.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th March 2021 at 15:20. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 15th March 2021, 17:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Consider getting a wrap, no bodyshop can match factory paint and finish. Period!

Regards,
Shashi
Wrap - A very thoughtful and the best option in your case.

BMW invests millions of euros to develop painting processes, related engineering decisions, production lines without dusts and a relevant inspection and quality bay to inspect and correct issues.

After all this, if you still want aftermarket paint on a new BMW, it sounds a bit strange.
Old 15th March 2021, 18:11   #38
BHPian

I have a question related to this topic :

Do we still need to get the color changed on the RC if we go for a full body wrap (eg black wrap on a white car)? My assumption is that we do. If we don't, then is it even legal to get a full body wrap done?
Old 15th March 2021, 18:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
If it’s a german ? No Way!!
No matter how much do those aftermarket body shop boasts about their paint, there is no way they can match the German finish and gloss.
Just like once James May said in Italy road trip - It is impossible for the Germans to paint a car badly.
While I do respect European engineering and the penchant of Germans for perfections in everything they do, catch a brand new AMG G63 closely. You will see a lot of orange peel and this thing hits you at 2.5 crores!
No way a mundane 40 lakh Fortuner can avoid it as well.

Just putting my point across the table - OEM paint, even done by Robots, is not always flawless.
The only negative factor in refinishing a new car is the removal of trim . That is why people prefer wraps.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:12   #40
BHPian

I'm sure there would be something that the Missus values more than "Blue color" and for the right thing, I'm sure she will let go of the "No white car" clause.

I say, its time to use your 6th sense and figure out what can change her mind.

There could be n number of things for which she might trade you her "right to choose the color of the car "
Old 15th March 2021, 19:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

If your heart is really, really set on changing the colour, either wrap it or have a high quality workshop use peelable paint. Do not under any circumstances just paint the car and do away with the factory finish, it'll impact resale et al.
Old 15th March 2021, 19:21   #42
BHPian

No from me too.

Few suggestions I can give are below,
In the order of preference

1. Wait for the new model
2. Buy the white car, add some subtle aesthetic modifications like M-sport package, black roof etc and see if your home minister likes it (approval to be taken before buying though
3. Wrapping the car with your choice of color
Old 15th March 2021, 20:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazed that this thread is still on despite the overwhelming consensus that repainting a new car makes no sense whatsoever. And yes, I am posting on it to say what has been said before. I would hesitate to repaint a new Maruti Alto - much less a new BMW.

When I bought my X3 back in 2016, we were given the choice of Blue with Beige, Blue with Saddle Brown, or White exteriors. I was not keen on a Blue since my other car was also Blue - but went for it given the discounts on offer. White is not so bad either. If you were buying an Innova and were afraid of being mistaken for a taxi, I would get it. But this is a BMW. White is great - go for it. Wish you many miles of happy motoring.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 20:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

I did something similar to my bike back in 2011. I got the bike in September and stripped the entire rear end in October with under 500 kms on the odo to paint the rims, pass pegs, tail, engine parts etc black because I wanted a custom paint job.

Either I was very brave or extremely stupid to strip a factory floor sealed 20 lakh bike. But I did it and I am glad I did it.

With a car though, it is very different and way to much stripping needs to be done to paint the shell. And once you open a car like that, it will never fit like it did off the factory floor.

Don't do it. If you must, wrap it.

Last edited by bigron : 15th March 2021 at 21:04.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 20:57   #45
BHPian

Wrapping might be an alternative, if you're getting that good a discount and are in a hurry about purchasing. But it will not give satisfactory results.

The only other option that comes to mind is Peel-able paint. It's basically a wrap that's sprayed on and can be peeled off. It might be a viable option given your location.

I am not sure about the legal aspect, but you will definitely have more choice in colours. And if you end up liking a color that is basically a different shade of factory colour then I assume it won't be much of a legal issue either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks