Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you repaint a brand new car?
Yes 28 6.59%
No 397 93.41%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2021, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?

Guys, so here is my conundrum: I have been eyeing to buy a blue petrol X3 since December but there is no stock of 2020 model available in blue. It is available in white only, a color that has been summarily rejected by the home minister Now, I have been patiently waiting for 2021 bookings to open, but only to learn today that petrol X3 will not be in production till atleast June or July. So, a crazy thought occurred to me: how about getting the 2020 white one repainted before registration? Even if it costs me 1-1.5L, it will still be cheaper than a 2021 model due to higher discounts on 2020 one. As per my SA, the VIN database will still point to OEM paint as white. Not sure what are its implications. Does it make sense at all, or I just bite the bullet and wait it out few more months and hope the dates are not pushed indefinitely?

Last edited by CosmicWizard : 13th March 2021 at 13:52.
CosmicWizard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 13:58   #2
BHPian

re: Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?

Changing the paint without making the requisite change in the RC of the car is not only illegal, it can lead to rejection of insurance claims if and when you require to do so. You can get the car painted but you will need to take permission from your local RTO and will need present the car for inspection to the said RTO before the change will be made in the R.C.

The dealer will not change the colour as the car has been invoiced from the company with colour described in it. You will be able to change the colour only after the registration is completed on the original invoice.

Last edited by PratikPatel : 13th March 2021 at 14:02.
PratikPatel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:02   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Changing the paint without making the requisite change in the RC of the car is not only illegal, it can lead to rejection of insurance claims if and when you require to do so. You can get the car painted but you will need to take permission from your local RTO and will need present the car for inspection to the said RTO before the change will be made in the R.C.
The car is not registered yet so how about getting it repainted before RTO and insurance come into picture?
Old 13th March 2021, 14:05   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The car is not registered yet so how about getting it repainted before RTO and insurance come into the picture?
I think Form 22 will carry the colour that is when the car leaves the factory so if you repaint, there is going to be a mismatch rejecting the registration process from proceeding.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th March 2021 at 14:22.
a4anurag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:07   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How about getting it wrapped in a new colour? I am not sure if it would affect the RC or the Insurance though...
chandu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My sentiment might come across as an orthodox one, but in my opinion, even with the advancements FNGs have made when it comes to ensuring paint quality, "factory finish is factory finish" especially when the car in question has just been delivered.

Coming to the technical aspect of it, painting (or even wrapping) the car will need a certain number of trim and body panels to come off for better access. I wouldn't want to see my new car being taken apart like this in front of me. Secondly, those who do it for acceptable costs don't do it well and those who do the job well demand sky high prices for it. (I don't think 1-1.5L will suffice TBH)

Lastly comes the hassle of making colour changes in the RC book which I have heard is easier said than done.

My advice to you would be to buy the car as is now. You anyway seem to like it if the colour is kept aside. Post 4-5 years, if you still decide to hold on to her for longer, get a repaint done. If you still can't get over the colour, the second best option is to wait till July. You get your favourite colour apart from fresh stock.

Last edited by vishy76 : 13th March 2021 at 14:11.
vishy76 is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:14   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
How about getting it wrapped in a new colour? I am not sure if it would affect the RC or the Insurance though.
Wraps and/or repaints be it anything different from what is mention in the RC will lead to unnecessary issues with the RTO and Police.

Whatever one does like changing the colour of the car via a wrap or repaint will need updating in the RC book after inspection at the RTO where the car is registered. Once the RC is updated, the same should be intimated to the Insurance company with whom the car is insured for an update to the policy after sending them the updated copy of the RC post the colour change approval.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th March 2021 at 14:21.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

And any such work you've done on the car will be immediately suspected as being due to accident damage, and any sort of rto endorsement on the RC will be used as an excuse to bargain when you're selling the car. Don't do this, tell your home ministry to reconsider and pick the white, or find some other car that suits your colour preference.
hserus is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a bad idea ! The last thing you want to do on a brand new German SUV is take it apart for repainting. If your hell bent on getting that color go for a different car or model. If you can wait it out, wait till June or July and ensure you get the first allotment. To be honest, white is not a bad color, and after the first few weeks the exterior color is not something that will be there on your mind.
TrackDay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

It's just a matter of 100 rupees and filling out forms at the RTO to legally change the color. It's no big deal.

If your heart really yearns for that blue colour, go for it. But keep in mind a repainted car always attracts a lesser resale, and as pointed out earlier, a repainted car will never have that factory finish.

However: You can opt for getting a wrap done. Might not last as much as the paint, and will attract scratches, but will get the job done and you can always revert back.

Last edited by dhanushs : 13th March 2021 at 16:12.
dhanushs is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Consider getting a wrap, no bodyshop can match factory paint and finish. Period!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Many have already put their points with respect to legalities and paint finish perse.

If you are really still inclined to get white car and repaint to blue, here are few more points on impact.

1. Even if in case you decide to repaint white car to blue, it takes minimum one month to deliver the repainted car. Essentially, you have to wait for 1 month to have car in your hands. If you wait for 2 more months, you will get original car of your choice of colour.

I think waiting for additional 2 months and getting required colour is better option compared to purchasing white and repainting to blue.

2. Additional headaches or freebies you may get after repainting at dealership would be niggles, rattling here and there since the removed panels cannot be fixed manually by dealership as perfectly as factory fit.

Therefore, Suggest to wait for another 3 months.

Last edited by gkveda : 13th March 2021 at 16:21.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 20:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Repainting a brand new car?

No.no...No

Repainting a brand new German car?

Repainting a brand new BMW?

Please do wait. A couple of months will pass in a blink. It is nothing compared to the years you would like to spend enjoying the car.

Not sure of the legalities, but a wrap is a distant second choice.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 02:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Slight tangent : I've always wondered if it was possible and made sense to add a couple of extra layers of clear coat to a new car ? Mainly to give the base coat more depth and so that it can be sanded and polished for a better finish because you would have additional paint thickness to work with even later when you need to get the paint corrected for swirls and minor scratches.
I'm not too sure if clear coat needs to be damp while applying successive layers which it obviously won't be by the time you receive your factory painted car.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:00   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?

Man, forget repainting a brand new car, I am apprehensive about changing the colour of even my 8-year old 530d. I love how the F10 looks in white & silver, accentuating all the subtle curves + creases + muscle. But I can tell you that factory fit & finish is factory fit & finish. Stripping down a car to change its colour means you will lose that perfection. No one outside of the factory - not even the best dealer - can match the factory robots & systems in build quality.

Once my car becomes older, I'll probably repaint it in the same colour so that full strip down is not required (as it is for a colour change).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
but only to learn today that petrol X3 will not be in production till atleast June or July
The time difference is lesser if you consider the 2 - 4 weeks for repainting! Don't do it. Either be happy with the white or wait.

Or just wrap it in blue to please the missus and remove the wrap after 3 years . Added bonus = you can get one of those sexy matte wraps like the ///M cars.
Repainting a brand new car | Is it a bad idea?-tixhr1404960330.jpeg
Source

Quote:
Even if it costs me 1-1.5L
The BMW dealer will charge you 3 lakhs minimum for a strip-down & repaint, not 1.5.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks