Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 13:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to Improve the Braking Power of Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Any other cost effective options for a secure spirited driving?
Hi mithun

As a fellow Ritz owner (ZXi though) and someone who has been working on brake systems for a while, these are my few cents:

You need to be very clear on your point of dissatisfaction with the braking of your car. Only then, you can find the correct countermeasure.

Are you unhappy with the:
(a) Braking distance (car takes too long to stop)?
(b) Brake feel (pedal travels too much before the brakes start biting, pedal feels spongy / hard / non-linear)?
(c) Brake noise?
(d) Brake dust? OR
(e) Brake component wear and tear?

Also, what is the service history of your car when it comes to the brake system?

Was the following done at the recommended intervals?
(a) Brake fluid replacement - MSIL recommends every 20000 km
(b) Wheel cylinder / master cylinder / caliper piston and boot kit replacement - MSIL recommends every 40000 km
(c) Wear and tear of wheel brake components - discs, pads, drums, shoes - need to be inspected and replaced if worn beyond a specified thickness

To be honest, the better braking you felt in the i20 Asta may be less due to the rear disc brakes (most of your braking power and feel comes from the front brakes) and more to do with an overall higher specification brake system (bigger booster / disc rotors / calipers etc).

As many others have suggested, tyres may be a good point to start. OEMs (especially mass-market ones like MSIL) give a lot of importance to cost, wear and durability when it comes to choosing components. Unfortunately, this compromises performance (which most of the car-buying public won't even notice). For the power that the Ritz comes with, I think 185 section tyres are more than enough. By going in for wider tyres, you will unnecessarily increase the un-sprung weight (and hence the load on the suspension and steering) and reduce your fuel efficiency. Grippier tyres are what you need, but be prepared to lose a bit on tyre-life.

Last edited by Viju : 29th March 2016 at 13:23.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 22:51   #137
BANNED

Re: How to Improve the Braking Power of Ritz

Thank you everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

Are you unhappy with the:
(a) Braking distance (car takes too long to stop)?
(b) Brake feel (pedal travels too much before the brakes start biting, pedal feels spongy / hard / non-linear)?
(c) Brake noise?
(d) Brake dust? OR
(e) Brake component wear and tear?

Also, what is the service history of your car when it comes to the brake system?

Was the following done at the recommended intervals?
(a) Brake fluid replacement - MSIL recommends every 20000 km
(b) Wheel cylinder / master cylinder / caliper piston and boot kit replacement - MSIL recommends every 40000 km
(c) Wear and tear of wheel brake components - discs, pads, drums, shoes - need to be inspected and replaced if worn beyond a specified thickness

To be honest, the better braking you felt in the i20 Asta may be less due to the rear disc brakes (most of your braking power and feel comes from the front brakes) and more to do with an overall higher specification brake system (bigger booster / disc rotors / calipers etc).
I'm unhappy only with the Braking distance(maybe placebo effect and due to poor tyres). No brake dust/noise. Infact the i20 is having loads of brake dust in front & rear wheels from the very beginning.

The car is serviced at the regular intervals w/o any fails including wheel alignment + balancing + tyre rotation.
Old 29th March 2016, 23:01   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs

I learnt to live with the brake in Nissan Sunny. But sometimes I feel a better brake is necessary. Anyone here tried aftermarket stuffs on Nissan Sunny?
Old 5th April 2016, 22:52   #139
BHPian

MERC E CLASS BREMBO brake pads

My Merc E class W212 was due for its second service. When the car was sent to service centre the brake pad warning lights had come on. The company estimate for the Brake pads alone was 30k. Luckily friend of mine who has Just Become Authorised Brembo distributor for India suggested me to try them. He had in Stock the brake pads and it was at less than half the cost. so got my general service done at service centre including brake oil change except the brake pads.

Bought the brake pads from my friend at UNITED MOTORS Chennai located at wellington Plaza near LIC,
The packing as you expect from BREMBO was attractive. the pads itself are OE and a bit higher in quality than any other replacement material available in the outside market as most of them sell fake version of Textar and local made pads with fake packaging. The brake sensors came along with the brake pad itself which is again good as most of the resellers sell them separately granted for some cars its a separate item.

My friend also recommended me local Garage near by where in an hours time got my Brake pads replaced. The rear brake needed some effort since these cars have electronic parking brake so the Calliper pistons have to be freed gently either with help of OBD tool or to jack the car up and press the gas when the car is started to release the calliper piston. The mechanic charged me 1750.rs for the Brake pad Change.

luckily even though my pads were totally worn it was at nick of time as it didn't Score the rotors otherwise it was 100% rotor replacement.

For the first 200 Kms after changing the pads I followed bed in procedure by using smooth braking. after that the bite from the brake pads was excellent and
same as OE ones I had and the brake dust visibly reduced. Overall very happy with the Pads and for next time my friend recommended me Drilled Brembo Rotors for Front and OE Replacement ones at rear. looking forward for that.

Also bought a Pair of Skoda laura bake pads for my uncles car at very reasonable rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs-img_4206.jpg  

Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs-img_4207.jpg  

Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs-4e45c175c1b212088b27146f0a85d257.jpg  

Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs-img_4214.jpg  

Improving your car's brakes: Options and costs-img_4213.jpg  

Last edited by lillios : 5th April 2016 at 22:54.
lillios is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 00:04   #140
BHPian

Great, can your friend take orders online or over phone can ship goods? Since you mention fake goods are generally circulating and anyone would like to buy genuine spares, if your friend offers online buy and shipment from Chennai, it would be a great service to clients like me.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:03   #141
BHPian

Re: MERC E CLASS BREMBO brake pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Great, can your friend take orders online or over phone can ship goods? Since you mention fake goods are generally circulating and anyone would like to buy genuine spares, if your friend offers online buy and shipment from Chennai, it would be a great service to clients like me.
I have sent you Pm regarding him.

He also told me by this month End they would also be having the First Stock of Brembo Dot 5.1 brake oil suited for trackdays for bikes and cars and for specific cars Front Drilled Rotors called the XTRA range.
Old 13th April 2016, 14:08   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillios View Post
I have sent you Pm regarding him.

He also told me by this month End they would also be having the First Stock of Brembo Dot 5.1 brake oil suited for trackdays for bikes and cars and for specific cars Front Drilled Rotors called the XTRA range.
Hi, can you please share the details over PM regarding shipping?
Would be really helpful.

Thanks
Rohan
Old 13th April 2016, 14:16   #143
BHPian

Here is the Facebook link of the Distributor containing details of Address and phone no

https://www.facebook.com/unitedmotors91/
Old 16th May 2016, 14:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

I have a Swift that's run 84k+ on stock brakes. My local mechanic told me that the brakes need to replaced in another 5k interval and that was when the odo reading was 80k.

My dilemma is, do I simply get the MGP brake part and replace it or is there a way to improve the overall braking system by upgrading the brakes. What kind of cost am I looking at?

The hand brake has also weakened it seems, what can be done about it?
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:15   #145
Senior - BHPian

Brake Upgrade for Duster

I have been looking to upgrade the brakes on my duster for sometime now, but everytime the OEM brakes were due for replacement I either had no upgrade options or time to research for a good upgrade.
I own a duster 110 which is at about 60,000 kms now and one of my major gripes with the car is the brakes. I guess i do tend to drive hard but I find the life span and effectiveness of the OEM brakes rather poor. I have already changed the discs once and the pads twice.
The car sure seems to have a heavy appetite for brakes. In the 60,000 km I have run through 2 sets of brake discs and 3 sets of pads. I wouldnt mind if the brakes were any good in the first place.
Now it is time to replace both discs and pads.

I have narrowed down my search to 2 combos in Brembo.
BREMBO XTRA 09.A727.1X (drilled discs 280 mm dia)
Brake Pads P 68 033 (TRW braking system without ESP)
As of now I only find an online source to buy these ( www.boodmo.com ) It costs about Rs 12,183 including delivery.
Are these the right parts for my car as in are they simply bolt on ?
Reason why I ask is I remember the OEM discs being 270mm dia but not too sure as it has been a while since I checked.

Second option again by brembo is
P 68 033 S Pads. I cannot find this in the brembo part pages though.
09.B463.10 Discs (solid discs with 269mm dia) however the brembo parts catalogue says this is for cars without ABS.
The above combo costs about Rs 7300 including shipping which is quite cheap as the OEM replacement pads and discs is Rs 11,000 in the showroom (including labour)

Brembo parts catalogue for Renault Duster

Request the gurus to guide me to the right parts for improved braking.
Also please suggest any brick and mortar stores to buy these parts in Hyderabad as I am not too comfortable buying it online as the website I mentioned doesn't allow for cash on delivery and I am a bit skeptical on the genuineness of the parts.
Also how do I know I am buying genuine parts.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 23rd October 2016 at 15:16.
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:18   #146
BANNED

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd December 2016 at 08:50. Reason: Pls. read the note in your post.
Vikas Gupta is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th January 2017, 13:52   #147
BHPian

Hello
Nice to know that you have switched over to brembos.
I too have an Eclass '14 and its due for service with 60k on the odo. I was contemplating to go for OEM or the Brembos.
How has been the braking performance after the change.
Kindly advise.
Pradeep
Old 28th January 2017, 20:27   #148
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a 2+ year old Mobilio with 35k on the odo. The dealer suggests that brake pads would run another 1k and there are scoring marks on the discs. I don't see any discomfort or loss of braking efficiency. What is the rule of thumb for replacement of these parts in case there are no abnormal signs?
Old 28th January 2017, 22:21   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganadrive16 View Post
I have a 2+ year old Mobilio with 35k on the odo. The dealer suggests that brake pads would run another 1k and there are scoring marks on the discs. I don't see any discomfort or loss of braking efficiency. What is the rule of thumb for replacement of these parts in case there are no abnormal signs?
Scoring mark in rotor is due to uneven wear of pad. Initial stage of scoring mark can be corrected by facing the disc and changing the pads. If not, rotor will suffer the damage beyond repair and the only option is replacement.

PS: Pad wear can't be felt with any significant drop in performance, except for noise. Check for pad thickness, if it is below the manufacturer specified value, replace them
Old 29th January 2017, 07:15   #150
BHPian

Thank you Mr.Boss for a clear technical explanation. As there no noise so far, let me check the parameters suggested by you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks