Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 15:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

Viper got what you mean. I guess it does make some sense.

ps: I'll think more on it later am too sleepy right now. i edited my earlier posts as they had some rubbish.
Old 11th May 2007, 15:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
A disc basically acts as a heat sink. If you take away material, the remaining material will have to deal with higher specific stress.
Correct. The metal itself will act like a heat sink. However, the advantage of slotted/drilled rotors is their ability to prevent the build up of excessive heat and gases between the pads and the surface of the rotor while braking.

I could increase the diameter of the discs, but then I would need to get spacers made for the calipers as well.

Quote:
Slotting is slightly better, but has its drawbacks again.
Slotting is better as you remove less metal from the disc. However, I don't know of anyone here who does this. And yes, brakes are something nobody should mess with unless you are 100% sure of the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMag
I dont know if an effective sub-10K solution might exist at all - unless replacing the pads is considered such a method
Actually, I think that is the best bang-for-the-buck solution out there for street use. Simply improving the pads to ones that can withstand great heat while providing better performance should be the first step really.

Ofcourse, going in for pure racing compound pads would be taking a step backwards as everyday street driving will not allow them to reach their ideal operating temperature.

So can someone list out the ideal (in their opinion) pads available in the market today along with the approximate costs.

Quote:
cheap way to improve braking for high-intensity apps like hill-descent or track is to channel more air towards the brakes. Route a CAI style piping towards the inside of each front wheel, and your brakes will fade a lot less.
Definitely. But I'm talking about a more permanent solution without altering the bodywork.

But, since we are talking about this, did you run with such a set up at the track or otherwise? How did you route it and keep it secured?
Old 11th May 2007, 16:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I could increase the diameter of the discs, but then I would need to get spacers made for the calipers as well.
That would mean new custom discs, na? Again, IMHO you can't get someone to make good ones in India, and if you import them, then you will pay way over you 10k budget.

Quote:
But, since we are talking about this, did you run with such a set up at the track or otherwise? How did you route it and keep it secured?
No, I didn't run with this kind of a setup. My car's bumper is still OE. And to be honest, I didn't feel the lack of braking at MMST.

If you were to fab a custom bumper, then it wouldn't be too hard to route some air towards the wheel wells. But I guess it would be slightly harder with a stock bumper.
Old 11th May 2007, 17:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That would mean new custom discs, na?
well, larger discs yes. But I could look OE too.

I need to take a closer look at the brakes of the RS. Check their size, the calipers, the spindle and see what the differences are. Does anyone know offhand the size of the rotors on the TDi and RS?
Old 11th May 2007, 19:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think your best bet would be an RS transplant. Maybe you should talk to Pete's, I'm sure they have a lot of OE RS kits left over, after they've put their aftermarket big-brake kits on.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
...cross drilled brakes with 10piston calipers.
Mannn 10 piston calipers? You wanna fly out the window each time you step on the brakes or what?
Old 11th May 2007, 19:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

You better believe it!

Holy moly, they even do a 12 pot job!

Last edited by v1p3r : 11th May 2007 at 19:39.
Old 11th May 2007, 21:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Food for thought...

"Drilled rotors are typically only found (and to be used on) race cars. The drilling weakens the rotors and typically results in microfractures to the rotor. On race cars this isn't a problem - the brakes are changed after each race or weekend. But on a road car, this can eventually lead to brake rotor failure - not what you want. I only mention this because of a lot of performance suppliers will supply you with drilled rotors for street cars without mentioning this little fact."

Source: Car Bibles : The Brake Bible
razor4077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2007, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Me thinks cross drilling the rotors would reduce the structural integrity of the rotor. In this case better pads could be a better choice on a street car. Any where we could source these pads from?
Has anyone tried routing a cai to the rotors? I guess the brake dust sheilds will have to be cut. Check this site out they should have an article on it. AutoSpeed - The World's Best High Performance Online Magazine
Old 12th May 2007, 18:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't stuff from the VW parts bin help your case??

Last edited by binz : 12th May 2007 at 18:19. Reason: added "im stupid" smiley
Old 13th May 2007, 03:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to take a closer look at the brakes of the RS. Check their size, the calipers, the spindle and see what the differences are. Does anyone know offhand the size of the rotors on the TDi and RS?
RT - Also make sure that the RS rotors can fit within your 15" wheels without any fouling.

As for the rear disc idea I think that's not too advisable without a brake bias controller. Ask Jitu for his opinion, AFAIK he ran a rear disc setup on his car and was facing problems with rear brakes lockup due to a bias issue.

RS disc size is 312x25mm.

Personally I think a set of hotter pads should work wonders for your car. Here are a few options:

Skoda Mintex Pads & Discs by Auto Performance Products Ltd.

Skoda Octavia Brake Discs - Skoda Octavia Brake Pads - Buy Online - UK

Last edited by iraghava : 13th May 2007 at 03:39.
Old 13th May 2007, 03:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few more links for you to check out:

Black Diamond Performance Brake Discs & Pads - Skoda

OMP racing - accessori racing, accessori tuning, accessori per i kart, sportswear.

Ferodo UK - the first name in brakes and friction products
Old 13th May 2007, 04:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, Robin already has RS wheels on his car.
Old 13th May 2007, 10:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I have RS wheels, so the bigger brakes will not be a problem. Currently checking out some options online vs getting the OE RS brakes here. Knowing Skoda prices, it would probably be more economical to get Brembo's or EBC discs!
Old 13th May 2007, 11:09   #30
elf
BANNED

So, Rt, lemme get this straight.

You got RS wheels, RS skirts, RS bumpers, RS badges(?), an RS steering wheel, RS end can, RS headrests, RS boot liner, & a 4 pot diesel under the bonnet. And you now want RS brakes.

What's next? An RS motor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks