Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 00:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey can someone tell me the difference between th optra's and astras sunroof??? (no wise cracks on 'the cars are different' ok??)
Old 28th August 2007, 02:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos_nitrous View Post
Hey next on the list of mods for my civic is a sunroof..went and met the INALFA dealer in bangalore..just wanted to know which sunroofs are better quality n finish wise INALFA or WEBASTO? thanks and im getting it put here in bangalore so please suggest where to get it done if WEBASTOs are better
I have had INALFA as an after fittment (through authorized dealer during delivery) on my Accord for the past 4 years.

The sunroof works perfectly with minor leakage problem that occured once 2 years back and was rectified. BUT the squeaking sounds of the sunroof drive me insane at times, this problem started within a year itself. Apparently the rubber arround the glass of the sunroof gets hard due to which it squeak once you put a rubber softening spray(which is very hard to find) it stops.

I suggest you resist fitting a sunroof and if you must then webasto.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:54   #33
BHPian

wow sunroofs is such a kool idea...but its an overkill for my puny little car...will certainly add that to my wishlist when I upgrade to a bigger car...but someone tell me besides leakages doesnt installing an after market sunroof weaken the car as now-a-days most cars have a Monocoque chassis...sorry for my ignorance...
Old 28th August 2007, 10:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos_nitrous View Post
Hey next on the list of mods for my civic is a sunroof..went and met the INALFA dealer in bangalore..just wanted to know which sunroofs are better quality n finish wise INALFA or WEBASTO? thanks and im getting it put here in bangalore so please suggest where to get it done if WEBASTOs are better
here you go mate..
Webasto Sunroofs India, Car roofs Accessories, Company fitted sunroofs, webasto Motherson India
Old 28th August 2007, 13:01   #35
BANNED

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between a sunroof & a moonroof?

And where do you guys really use this? I read the night bit but seriously when is this used so much?
Old 28th August 2007, 13:18   #36
Team-BHP Support

[quote=deepakvrao;546090]Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between a sunroof & a moonroof?

QUOTE]

Steel and glass, night and day respectively
Old 28th August 2007, 13:52   #37
BANNED

[quote=ajmat;546110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between a sunroof & a moonroof?

QUOTE]

Steel and glass, night and day respectively
Ajmat,

You mean a sunroof has only a steel closure with no glass? Skoda advertises theirs as a sunroof but it has only glass?
Old 28th August 2007, 14:16   #38
BHPian

I got a Webasto sunroof installed on my Palio 1.6 sport. It is a simple spoiler type sunroof. It's actually quite cool and draws a lot of attention.

I once had a minor leak which was probably because I had not closed the sunroof properly but since it was still under warranty, I got it rectified. It is perfectly alright now. It is of great use if you've parked your car in the sun and want to let the warm air escape for your aircon to be effective immediately.
The one thing I missed out while installing the sunroof is the sliding fabric frame below the sunroof. The aircon takes a bit of beating during noon in the hot sun.
I have heard about the Inalfa sunroof (I guess it is a brand from Holland) but haven't seen many installations. Webasto is a german brand and is an OE fitment to most cars including the Merc.
Old 28th August 2007, 14:22   #39
BHPian

Here's a pic of my car with the sunroof.

Old 28th August 2007, 15:27   #40
Team-BHP Support

[quote=deepakvrao;546171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Ajmat,

You mean a sunroof has only a steel closure with no glass? Skoda advertises theirs as a sunroof but it has only glass?
Let me confuse you further

1: A sunroof can be of steel or glass
2: A moonroof is a sunroof made of glass - merely a term used for selling the concept

Europeans call it a sunroof becuase thats what they want to see
The US folks call it the moonroof because thats where they want to be

Now, I should have confused you even more!
Old 28th August 2007, 15:37   #41
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
It is of great use if you've parked your car in the sun and want to let the warm air escape for your aircon to be effective immediately

Never thought of this - great idea.
Old 28th August 2007, 16:55   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If I want to watch the stars with my family, shall I call it the starroof?

Seriously, how does this thing behave when the sun is hot and shining down upon you during midnoon on a hot summer day in India?
Old 28th August 2007, 17:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had fitted a sunroof on my Safari TCIC, (a large imported webasto) that could actually allow a person to exit through it. It was the tilt and slide type, that would allow the entire glass roof to slide out inside the frame of the sunroof which was bolted/welded to the roof of the Safari.
The roof of the Safari due to its stepped design, does not lend itself to a perfect fit for ANY sunroof unless it is the lift up kind. (useless in my opinion)
The contour of the roof makes fitting a sunroof on a Safari, an unusually cumbersome and frustrating task. fitting the sunroof to mould well with the roof is easy but ensuring that the small leaks (that are bound to happen) are immediately drained out, is well nigh an impossible task.
My Safari would be water tight driving in the rain, but parking it in the rain would see water collecting in the sunroof frame and dumping some through the frame gaps, wetting the roof lining and dripping on your head. Not a very pleasing experience.
In my opinion, fitting a tilt and slide sunroof in a Safari is emminently avoidable.
Old 28th August 2007, 19:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, how does this thing behave when the sun is hot and shining down upon you during midnoon on a hot summer day in India?
Well it has a cover inside so wen closed you dont even notice there is a sunroof.

Anyways i think its not practical to install a sunroof, its better to buy a car with one, quite a few cars have it in stock form like the Optra, Skodas, Mercedes, BMW, Maybach & Rolls Royce.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:01   #45
BHPian

Apart from the leaking issues and easy to pry open from burglars , is sunroof really worth it? I was thinking of putting it on my Baleno. Tilt and slide seems to be the best option I guess. Any recommendations ? Which is the best Webasto dealer in Pune ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks