Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:36   #16
BHPian

anyone knows where this amsaki (or any other) GPS tracker device can be picked up at Bangalore or Chennai. Have been hunting around, but all in vain..

Called Amsaki at Delhi, but they were just not bothered to courier it / respond..
Old 31st July 2007, 15:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

That article is no longer available but they were talking about MicroVBB. You can buy it online and its tested by ARAI too.
Old 31st July 2007, 17:00   #18
BHPian

I have an Auto-Lock Brake pedal lock on my Santro. When it's locked in position, the brake pedal cannot be pressed so the car is not easily drivable. (pics below are not of my car)

The metal is hardened and cannot be cut and is supposed to be bullet proof. If the thief attempts to drive away without removing the lock (using the hand brake to stop) it's almost suicide.

This thing is supposed to be better than steering locks.

(quote from the Autolock advt -

"The Unbreakable AutoLock PRO uses the brake pedal or clutch pedal arm because their thick solid steel construction makes them one of the strongest parts of your vehicle and virtually impossible to cut. Steering wheel locks are typically bars that attach to the steering wheel and prevent it from turning. Most steering wheels are made of thin metal & foam because they are designed to bend out of the driver's way in an accident. A car thief can easily cut the steering wheel using a bolt cutter or hacksaw, remove the steering wheel lock and steal the vehicle." )
Old 31st July 2007, 21:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I've PMed you. Hope that would be helpful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARtik View Post
anyone knows where this amsaki (or any other) GPS tracker device can be picked up at Bangalore or Chennai. Have been hunting around, but all in vain..

Called Amsaki at Delhi, but they were just not bothered to courier it / respond..
Old 1st August 2007, 01:33   #20

The best anti-theft devices are usually simple. For example, you could wire in a hidden switch in the fuel pump harness so the car cannot be started if the switch is open. You could also hook up a remote control switch to do the same job.

Multiple hidden or remote control switches can be used to disable various other things, such as the ECU, Mass Air Flow sensor, Starter, etc. Some people even install a quick release steering wheel hub and take the steering wheel with them. Others take the ECU with them. Anyway, you guys get the idea.
Old 2nd August 2007, 01:27   #21
BHPian

i had read some where (will try and source the story) where there was a car ani-theft device which would give out jolts of electricity if some was trying to break in...only sad path was in the rains it would malfunction some time's causing the owners to get shocked by mistake :-) (while trying to open the car)
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I have an Auto-Lock Brake pedal lock on my Santro. When it's locked in position, the brake pedal cannot be pressed so the car is not easily drivable. (pics below are not of my car)

The metal is hardened and cannot be cut and is supposed to be bullet proof. If the thief attempts to drive away without removing the lock (using the hand brake to stop) it's almost suicide.

This thing is supposed to be better than steering locks.
Since the vehicle is question is an automatic so they have shown the manual lock for brake. I used to put it on the clutch, since a thief can still drive with a handbrake and then cut it out at its own pace. But without the clutch, you cant drive away the vehicle.

For santro there is a company fitted gear lock which fits in snugly and doesnt look bad, for others a fittment has to be done for the same gear lock. Thats the most robust solution one can install. This has saved my brothers car, the thief broke the steering lock and the starter wires but must have realized later about this gear lock and left with some accessories and toys kept in the vehicle
Old 2nd August 2007, 10:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_Logos View Post
The best anti-theft devices are usually simple. For example, you could wire in a hidden switch in the fuel pump harness so the car cannot be started if the switch is open. You could also hook up a remote control switch to do the same job.

Multiple hidden or remote control switches can be used to disable various other things, such as the ECU, Mass Air Flow sensor, Starter, etc. Some people even install a quick release steering wheel hub and take the steering wheel with them. Others take the ECU with them. Anyway, you guys get the idea.
The maruti Icats Immobilizer is all about this. Only the car key is the switch in this case, without which the car wont start. This is being used in many vehicles now including the Honda's and Safari's.
Old 2nd August 2007, 11:12   #24
BHPian

I would personally prefer a sharp, pointed device that emerges out of the drivers seat and finds it way into the anatomy of the thief. That would strongly urge any thief to reform himself and be a good citizen. Inadvertent use can be made impossible by removal of the "immobiliser" by the real owner before he takes his driving position.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Howlarious...I've still not stopped laughing my guts out. Vayalam, hats off to you man, your imagination is great.

I would like to make a correction in your statement - "anatomy of the thief". It should read - 'anatomy of the person other than the rightful owner'...ha ha haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayalam View Post
I would personally prefer a sharp, pointed device that emerges out of the drivers seat and finds it way into the anatomy of the thief. That would strongly urge any thief to reform himself and be a good citizen. Inadvertent use can be made impossible by removal of the "immobiliser" by the real owner before he takes his driving position.
Old 3rd August 2007, 17:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Since the vehicle is question is an automatic so they have shown the manual lock for brake. I used to put it on the clutch, since a thief can still drive with a handbrake and then cut it out at its own pace. But without the clutch, you cant drive away the vehicle.
As said before by someone, a thief who really intend to take off the vehicle, and knows the tricks of the trade can do the job perfectly whatever we do.

You know I have driven my old Maruthi 800 without pressing clutch once! The bell housing had some problem and the clutch got jammed inside. I couldn't press the C-Pedal even for an inch. This happened around mid night when I was driving back to home. I just changed the gear to 2 without pressing clutch and continued driving (not more than 4-5 Kms)
So the "moral of the story" you can start the vehicle by pushing it in 2nd gear and continue driving in second or 1st gear by changing gears without pressing clutch. Condition of gearbox after the exercise- thief wont bother much! And once he get to a 'safe place' he can cut the clutch pedal itself leaving a small part to use! Hope we don't face such determined thieves

I would like to advocate for a ignition cutoff or fuel pump cutoff switch somewhere hidden in the vehicle, like those we saw in some Hollywood movies! Getting a radio control (remote control) for this is an awesome idea. I think we can find them from EFY or something similar to that.

For those who laugh at me(and few others) for bothering TOO MUCH about vehicle security- You will never know what it is to lose a vehicle until it happen to you LOL. A last note: show me your vehicle I will show you a way to 'flick it' without your keys.
Old 3rd August 2007, 20:17   #27
BHPian

One can use the wheel clamp, similar to the ones used by traffic cops when you park in a no parking zone. Are these available in the market?
Old 3rd August 2007, 23:47   #28
BHPian

Thanks gd1418. I'm planning to patent that invention. May be I'll call it "immobilasser".
Old 6th August 2007, 13:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have seen one Qualis in Tilaknagar which is usually parked on the pavement adjoining the main road being chained from the rear axel to the ground, just like you see a cow/buffalo chained. Most practical.

Nobody said that a solution is foolproof, its only a deterrent. Even in countries where the Immobilizers were introduced the statistics show that car thefts have reduced, NOT stopped.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

I use the gear lock on my vehicle . The gear is locked at neutral and once the steering gets locked thats it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks