Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 12:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700

Thanks to Anand Asawa for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Dear Team-BHP,

I have been following the Mahindra XUV700 reviews on Team-BHP very closely. It’s now my routine to refresh the page and read all the contents written by the members on the Mahindra XUV700.

I own an XUV700 AX7L P Automatic. I had booked it on October 8, 2020 (was unable to book it on October 7, 2021 due to a website crash), but got the price protection confirmation and got delivery of the vehicle in November 2021. I sold my Maruti Dzire Petrol Manual (2011) in November 2021 through Spinny.

There were many discussions on fixing the roof cross bar on the Mahindra XUV700 on Team-BHP. I was also looking for the same on the internet, but had no success. The M2all website of Mahindra says, “This Product might interfere in the functioning of the sky roof for AX5 and AX7 vehicle variants. Therefore, we do not recommend for AX5 and AX7 variants.”

I tried to place the order through M2all, but cancelled it before making the online payment. I received a call from M2all customer services within an hour. While discussing with them, they told me that it can be installed on AX7 and there would not be any issue.

This give me some confidence and I took the plunge. I purchased the roof cross bar from NBS Mahindra - Andheri, Mumbai, and installed it through their service center in Goregaon, Mumbai. The cost of the roof cross bar was Rs. 4,600 and installation charges were Rs. 531 (including taxes).

The installation, though, is quite easy and can be a DIY. I did not want to take the risk and therefore install it through the service center as there is cutting required (inner side) of the roof rails to install the mounting brackets. For NBS Mahindra too, it was the first such installation.

There are three options to install the cross bar on the roof rails - front, middle and at the end, near the shark fin antenna. I assume that the front might be fixed and the rear mounting brackets may be shifted to middle/end. The silver liner on the roof rails is removable.

Step 1: Remove the silver liner on the roof rails with the help of a screw driver
Step 2: Cut the inner side of the roof rails to mount the brackets
Step 3: Install the mounting brackets as per the requirement (front – middle – end)
Step 4: Install the silver liner on the roof rail
Step 5: Install the roof cross bar on the brackets (as per front and rear markings)

Also, there are no issues in the opening and closing of the sky roof. There is a sufficient gap between the glass and the crossbar.

The quality of the roof cross bar is good and it enhances the look of the vehicle (in my view). It has a rated carrying capacity up to 70 kg. It's lightweight and while driving, no noise or vibrations are felt.

Hope this helps.
Installation instructions for roof cross bar assembly:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-xuv700-roof-cross-bar-assembly-installation-instructions.jpg

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-xuv700-roof-cross-bar-assembly-installation-instructions2.jpg

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-xuv700-roof-cross-bar-assembly-installation-instructions3.jpg

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-xuv700-roof-cross-bar-assembly-installation-instructions4.jpg

Some images -

Inside of roof rail:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-1.jpg

Installation of brackets after cutting of roof rail:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-2.jpg

Mounting brackets after installation of silver liner:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-3.jpg

View from the front after installation of roof cross bar:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-4.jpg

View from the side:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-5.jpg

The gap between cross bar and skyroof:
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-pic-6.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th March 2022 at 13:23.
Aditya is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Installation instructions for roof cross bar assembly:

The gap between cross bar and skyroof:
Can anyone guide what is the rated load capacity for this roof cross bar ?
Old 9th March 2022, 17:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Can anyone guide what is the rated load capacity for this roof cross bar ?
The OP has mentioned this:
The quality of the roof cross bar is good and it enhances the look of the vehicle (in my view). It has a rated carrying capacity up to 70 kg. It's lightweight and while driving, no noise or vibrations are felt.
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 10:21   #5
BHPian

Re: Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700

Its great that manufacturers are providing these accessories. Having said that M&M should have engineered the roof rails to accommodate this first hand. There should not have been a requirement to cut the roof rail. The ecosport and jeep have mounting points for roofbars integrated in the roof rails and require no cutting.

Nonetheless this is a great install. Do you plan a carrier or a roof box? Do look at options from Pentair in Kochi they are great.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:18   #6

This is not a universal cross bar is it ? Will it fit other cars like the Volkswagen Taigun.

There are no official accessories from the company, and I've been wondering where to get one from.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th April 2023 at 07:14. Reason: Please capitalise when starting your sentences or wherever required. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2022, 08:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post
This is not a universal cross bar is it ? Will it fit other cars like the Volkswagen Taigun.

There are no official accessories from the company, and I’ve been wondering where to get one from.
Most ones found aftermarket are universal. They are attached on to the existing roof rails and you can adjust the clamps (move it across the roof bar to increase/decrease the length). In my case, I got the roof bar with a cycle mount of the i20 Active.

These will have good amount of wind noise and I got an even louder noise due to the cycle carrier.

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-dsc_0016.jpg

Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-dsc_0013-2.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 10th April 2023 at 07:15. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 13:54   #8
BHPian

Here is my setup with the Thule Motion XT roof box. Quite a gobbler.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a roof cross bar for luggage on the Mahindra XUV700-fd08613b418049c28fa38770b3690946.jpeg  

lionell is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 20:47   #9
BHPian

Thanks. Can you install Thule or metal roof rack on it? Will it not hinder with the sunroof operation? My SA said sunroof might break if by press open button by mistake.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th April 2023 at 07:13. Reason: u = you. STRICTLY NO SMS LANGUAGE PLEASE. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2022, 13:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Here is my setup with the Thule Motion XT roof box. Quite a gobbler.

Looks all the more wonderful to me since it looks like the setup is on an XL6.

Would be great if you can recommend cross bars or contact points (in Chd/HP) to get a pair for my 2022 XL6 too. Believe Thule is very expensive. Farad (apparently, made in Italy) offers Iron roof cross bars for around 10k INR on Amazon and a Farad rep offered at 12k Aluminium based product (with 35% discount) which offers 20 kilos more lugging ability. Haven't visited the Chandigarh/Shimla motor market to ask yet.

Open to suggestions..
Old 29th July 2022, 12:02   #11
BHPian

With the panoramic sun roof on the XUV700, wouldn't it be better to have a trailer hitch + cargo carrier/box. I found a few videos on youtube of these (StowAway2, Thule onto), but not seen them in India. Are these available in India and can these be installed on XUV700?
Old 5th August 2022, 11:38   #12
BHPian

Kudos for the installation. It is really needed for such cars.
Can it be made available for MG Hector Plus too?

Last edited by Sheel : 10th April 2023 at 07:12. Reason: Typo.
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:03   #13

I have booked a XUV 7OO AX7 L D AT in the month of Sep 22 and waiting since long. It feels like I have been waiting for eternity.

One thing which still puts me in double minded situation with the XUV 7OO is the lack of boot space or in other words no boot space at all. So when I first visited this page it was such a wonderful feeling to be able to have XUV700 with manageable luggage space.

My doubt here is, the space between cross bars looks a bit too much. how do I load the luggage on cross bars won't the luggage touch and damage the roof/ sky roof?

If anyone has any photos/videos of the luggage being loaded on XUV700 or similar cross bars, that could help me visualize better.
Old 8th March 2023, 11:58   #14
BHPian

I am also having the same concern while deciding XUV 700. It would be great if anyone can throw more light on this.
Old 9th March 2023, 01:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrider09 View Post
I have booked a XUV 7OO AX7 L D AT in the month of Sep 22 and waiting since long. It feels like I have been waiting for eternity.

One thing which still puts me in double minded situation with the XUV 7OO is the lack of boot space or in other words no boot space at all. So when I first visited this page it was such a wonderful feeling to be able to have XUV700 with manageable luggage space.

If anyone has any photos/videos of the luggage being loaded on XUV700 or similar cross bars, that could help me visualize better.

I have the same concern and to that a few additions.
If the cross bar comes across the sky roof will that not mean the sky roof is now rendered useless and one cannot use that function ?
Unless of course the cross bars are detachable ( without having to visit the service center )

Any guidance here will be really helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks