Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:49   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
@ Razor Have you tried your ECU in another Lancer? I assume you using correct OEM ECU Part#, Year/Revision which came as original in your car with the engine.
No, we did it the other way around (other Lancer's ECU in my car). I think that should be conclusive enough, right?

And yes, it's the OEM ECU, that has not been touched since the car was bought.

Now for the bad news. Turns out that the ECU costs close to 25k at HM. The sensor (which is the Boost sensor, and not MAF sensor) costs ~9k.
Not sure what to do now.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:57   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
No, we did it the other way around (other Lancer's ECU in my car). I think that should be conclusive enough, right?
You never know, but doing that test will give you 100% confirmation if ECU is really at a fault.

Its up to you...
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:23   #528
Team-BHP Support

Razor, give me the ECU details. I don't think a standalone ECU would be the right way to go. Save for a MIVEC now.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:37   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now for the bad news. Turns out that the ECU costs close to 25k at HM. The sensor (which is the Boost sensor, and not MAF sensor) costs ~9k.
Not sure what to do now.
Thought as much. Was really surprised when you mentioned 8k figure for the OEM ECU. Have you tried asking the HM people if they can "reflash" your ECU to the factory setting? I am just guessing there isnt anything physically wrong with the ECU for it to perform the way it does now.
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:57   #530
Team-BHP Support

Can anyone explain how a ECU can be defective without showing up any warning lights? Has the mileage dropped with the original ECU?
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:53   #531
Senior - BHPian

Also, the sensor is not Boost or MAF, it's the MAP sensor.

Razor - Confirm & clear all doubts before you take any further steps.
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:13   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Can anyone explain how a ECU can be defective without showing up any warning lights? Has the mileage dropped with the original ECU?
No clue about the warning lights. In fact, I had a scan done on the car a few days back at HM. Showed nothing wrong with the ECU, or any sensor. From what I was told about the MAP sensor, it's almost binary in nature... either it works, or it doesn't - no error code is thrown for a sub-optimal sensor.
The ECU is obviously working, because I have been driving the car around all these days. But it's not working 100% - that I saw after comparing the performance of another ECU.
This is a apparently a rarity, but it does happen. If someone has any explanation for a "sub-optimal" ECU, please do share it with us.

Regd the mileage, all I can say is that FE has been fairly low. I have not worried much about it since the engine was being run-in. But of late, it has been a concern (FE is definitely below 10 kpl).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also, the sensor is not Boost or MAF, it's the MAP sensor.
Yes, it's the MAP sensor. There is no MAF sensor on a Lancer. I called it "Boost Sensor" because that's what the HM people called it. Went through the service manual, but there is no such thing. The part is definitely the MAP sensor.
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:24   #533
Senior - BHPian

Can you try a MAF sensor only and discharge the ECU memory (Battery disconnection) to see if it does whats expected. Or is that an option that has already been done.
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:04   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Can you try a MAF sensor only and discharge the ECU memory (Battery disconnection) to see if it does whats expected. Or is that an option that has already been done.
If you mean MAP sensor, then yes, this option has already been tried. Just changing the sensor provided a marginal improvement, but it was the ECU that was the difference-maker.
Old 13th April 2008, 14:05   #535
Senior - BHPian

Here's some good news at last. The replacement ECU and MAP sensor arrived yesterday. My heartfelt gratitude to iraghava who located and shipped me the parts. These are used parts in good condition and the pair of them cost me 12k (as opposed to new ones which would have been close to 40k!). I have a week to test them and in case something is amiss, I have been given the option of returning or exchanging them.
Got them fitted in the late afternoon with a fair bit of nervous expectation since this was the missing piece that would hopefully make the basics right. To cut a long story short I think it did the trick! Car feels much smoother, revs better and feels "freer". Earlier, it felt throttled and restricted, especially at high revs- this has gone now! Did a fair amount of driving around to test the car, including a late night run with fellow bhpian Blackpearl. While the Lancer is still not as fast as his modded Baleno, the improvement is huge! I am pleased with the progress. Now that the basic setup is stable, I can start adding the mods gradually to see the improvement- filter, ffe and fuel pressure regulator. Watch this space
A special thanks to Satish, a friend of Viper's, who identified the ECU and sensor issues and suggested the change. Thank you sir!
Old 13th April 2008, 15:11   #536
BHPian

Great news.. congrats!!
Old 13th April 2008, 16:43   #537
BANNED

Quote:
A special thanks to Satish, a friend of Viper's, who identified the ECU and sensor issues and suggested the change. Thank you sir!
Abhishek,

Am glad your problem is sorted out. Satish is very experienced and good at trouble shooting(especially where electronics are concerned) which is why I got him with me to Kolkatta. Shall convey your thanks to him.

Viper
Old 14th April 2008, 17:24   #538
BHPian

congrats buddy good to see your car is healthy again
Old 14th April 2008, 17:45   #539
Team-BHP Support

Phoenix burned some serious rubber last night and oh boy I am amazed at the car's handling. It sure impressed me a lot and I think that she is in the best state of tune since I have seen her. Hopefully she will be even faster after the mods...
Old 24th April 2008, 01:46   #540
Team-BHP Support

Congrats for the FFE. The end can is very good looking. did you try the triphase while returning?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks