Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 15:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!

Car was kept clean and ready with all the accessories fitted.

Honda Dealership gives stamped letter for sunfilm | Will it hold ground legally or with the police?-5.jpeg

Certificate confirms that the tint applied is within the legally permissible limit. Just in case if the authorities want to check.

Honda Dealership gives stamped letter for sunfilm | Will it hold ground legally or with the police?-20220818-11.22.25-am.jpeg

RTO Fine For Using Tinted Glass: https://www.tataaig.com/knowledge-ce...-glass-in-cars

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 17:05.
Chethan B G is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Dealership gives stamped letter for sunfilm | Will it hold ground legally or with the poli

Thanks for sharing, Chethan! Moving your post out to a new thread as this is a curious practice.

The Supreme Court order is very clear that no after-market sunfilm of any type is permitted, so I am surprised to see a Honda dealership offering this letter. It's definitely worth an independent discussion.

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
Aditya is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Dealership gives stamped letter for sunfilm | Will it hold ground legally or with the poli

Doubt this will hold, since it was not fitted at the factory. Else, how is a film from Puris or applied by the dealership any different from other brand films which are equally good, applied by other accessories dealers ?
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This won't hold, Honda dealership is not a Law making body, and that letter means absolute zero value legally.
AtheK is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 18:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This will not work. The SC ruling clearly said that you can’t put any kind of aftermarket film. Visibility % is inconsequential.

If the manufacturer provides 70% film as factory fit, it will be allowed. But you can’t add it at your end. This is why Maruti and Toyota offer UV cut (tinted) glasses, and only on the top variant for maximum margins.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 18:20   #6
BHPian

But the letter doesn't claim that it is legal - It just states facts.
akshaymahajan is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 18:55   #7
BHPian

This letter actually is proof of application of the sun film and only states that fact. If the car is on a public road, then it's in violation of the supreme court ruling and action may be taken.
I don't think this letter holds any water... On the contrary it may even irk the police...
deep_bang is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:10   #8
BHPian

In fact in case of a legal escalation, the dealership will invariably claim it was put because customer paid and insisted! Tint films as such isn't illegal to be traded. Application on a car is! Plus the certificate doesn't bear a date!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Aditya!

This post is just to add clarity and share my thoughts; let the discussion continue.

1. If there is an SC order stating that absolutely NO after-market tint is allowed, it would be nice if someone could share it here (order copy).
  2. To my understanding, the RTO / SC rule mentions the minimum transparency required and does not specify that aftermarket addition is completely disallowed.

https://www.tataaig.com/knowledge-ce...-glass-in-cars
  • If it is completely disallowed / illegal in India, how can there be vendors selling it in the open?
  • There have been many instances where-in authorities stop the cars and check the window glass transparency using an opacity meter. If the transparency is within the permissible limit, the vehicle can go without any fines.

In my opinion, if we have sun-film, it is safer to carry a certificate from the applier. In this case, it was a Honda dealer. But it can be from a Maruti / Toyota / Hyundai dealer or anybody for that matter, who applies it.

A copy of the certificate from the sun-film manufacturing company (say 3M) + the Invoice copy from the vendor who applied it; together would be better.

In my case, a certificate from Puris was unavailable; therefore, I asked for this letter from Brigade Honda (on their letterhead) as a confirmation as to what they applied to my car. I also have their Invoice for reference.

If I encounter a cop on the street, I plan to show this letter and the invoice copy. This confirms that the tint applied to my car has 75% transparency. Whether this is permitted by law or not is a different matter. If it is not permitted, the authorities will ask me to remove it, and I will follow their instructions without a second thought. But I honestly believe that this should be fine.

Apart from checking the certificate, the authorities may check the transparency with an opacity meter for confirmation, which is fair enough.

Last edited by navin : 13th September 2022 at 14:19.
Chethan B G is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:37   #10
BHPian

Please refer to this quote:

27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary, Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction

https://main.sci.gov.in/jonew/judis/39452.pdf

The court order has a lot of legal explainations but I think we have beaten this topic to death since 2012 when this order came in effect, and the simple summary I can give is that it's not legal any more.

Last edited by deep_bang : 12th September 2022 at 19:44.
deep_bang is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:24   #11
BHPian

As is usual in our country, you can find multiple interpretations of the rule depending on the site you refer.

SC order clearly states that no sunfilm is allowed irrespective of opacity/transparency. RTO guys simply tear the film and fine you.

You may try your luck with the declaration you got from dealership.
ToThePoint is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
  • If it is completely disallowed / illegal in India, how can there be vendors selling it in the open?
  • There has been many instances where-in authorities stop the cars and check the window glass transparency using a opacity meter. If the transparency is within permissible limit, the vehicle is permitted to go without any fine.
Half of the shops in the country are selling bull bars, pressure horns and all sorts of things that do not meet the road worthy norms.
You can sure fit them on your vehicle, however can you drive them vehicle on the road with such fitment ? The answer is no obviously.

In addition, I would say that when cops in our country are known to issue challans at times even when you're totally okay on the legal aspect, its just an added headache to have such fitment on vehicle that could possibly create conflict and arguments. And unless that letter is from manufacturer of the vehicle itself, it holds no significance for a strict cop.

Also there is lot of confusion on this topic, but from what I understand and based on various sources - the 70 percent rule is for manufacturers making tinted glasses at their factory. It is a specification of regulations for the manufacturers to adhere.
General public is not yet permitted to put any kind of aftermarket films as such.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 12th September 2022 at 20:28.
rishi.roger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 21:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

A few related threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...d-says-no.html (Safety glazing | Sunfilm now legal? EDIT: Kerala MVD says no)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...n-film-56.html (Legal Alternatives to Sun Film)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-cars-180.html (Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...gement-45.html (Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...n-film-70.html (Sun Film)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 12th September 2022 at 21:27.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just a letter which you can flash at the cop praying that he would let you go. But the cop isn't obliged to do so due to this letter. It is just an official reference of the specs, just in case he/she is open to arguments. To put it in simple words any film above the factory glass is now illegal.

That said, my Celerio and Slavia are running 70%VLT tints from six years and three months respectively. And I pass through cops everyday in multiple points. Unless the tint is noticeably dark, there is no issue currently.
audioholic is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Certificate confirms that the tint applied is within the legally permissible limit. Just in case if the authorities want to check.
As per law No sun film allowed. You cannot paste anything over the glass even if the visibility is 70% and above.

The glass itself has to be tinted.

You have a BMW X1 F48 on which you will find mention of visibility on glass 70% and above.

That is only allowed.

Claim a refund from the Honda Dealer.

For knowledge purpose: Tinted Glass Specification allowed.
Front & Rear windshield visibility should be 70%
Side windows should be 50%
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks