Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 02:17   #16
BHPian

re: Rain repellent - how effective is this?

i got a rain repellent treatment done from carnation,ghaziabad last year on my swift vdi. it did work like a charm, almost eliminating the need to use wipers even in heavy rains as the water droplets would just not stay/stick to the windows. they would just flow down. as far as i remember i paid Rs500 for all the front and rear screens and all four windows.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:20   #17
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. Monsoons are soon going to be here again, and I am looking for a proper rain repellent this time. Stumbled upon THIS.

Is there any sort of feedback on this? How is the rain repellent property? How well does it work? And apart from it, how good a glass cleaner is this anyway?
Old 17th May 2013, 01:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The most easy rain repellent is news paper. I came to know about this from a taxi driver at Kolkata. I was in his taxi and it was raining. The ill maintained taxi didn't had any wipers. The driver parked his car and cleaned his front windscreen with a news paper. And the result was in front of me, it worked quiet well. Later i tried that in my car too and it works!
Old 17th May 2013, 02:11   #19
BHPian

Newspaper works really well for cleaning any type of glass. Rain repellent on the other hand would be a more professional approach to keep the glass clear in rains and would last longer than glass cleaned with newspaper.

Interesting info here on the link posted above by Swarnava

Quote:
You can use Formula 1 as you would any other glass cleaner, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE REAR WINDOW. Products with rain repellant make moisture bead on the surface and the vehicle speed causes those beads to roll away. On a back window, without the air shear touching it, the water beads will not roll away. When applying any rain treatment to the rear windshield, visibility may actually go down.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using the windshield washer additive by Maruti and it has been able to give a beading effect in the car when it rains. Apart from that have also used Sonax windshield washer additive, and it too gave the same result. Though one cant call this as a replacement for the wiper, it works like a charm. It also enhances the cleaning action of the wiper by lubricating its path. The result is a clean wipe everytime with no streaks left. It is good VFM too. Each sachet is just Rs. 20 or so, which I use for a tank of water.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Newspaper works brilliantly to clean glass but the only water repellent that I have used is Tobacco. It is simply magical You just have to crush your cigg up rub it on the windshield. :P
Old 17th May 2013, 13:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Using newspaper to clean a wet windshield and to keep it somewhat 'water-repellent' seems to a really old trick.

My question is that won't the glass gradually develop micro scratches after sustained rubbing with wet newspaper? My common sense says yes but can anyone comment?

I have started using the Maruti sachets (INR 15 for 50ml) and am quite satisfied. Further thinking of trying the much more expensive Sonax Clear View (INR 375 for 250ml).

This slightly dated review really speaks highly of the Sonax: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...we-test-twelve
Old 17th May 2013, 14:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Using newspaper to clean a wet windshield and to keep it somewhat 'water-repellent' seems to a really old trick.

My question is that won't the glass gradually develop micro scratches after sustained rubbing with wet newspaper? My common sense says yes but can anyone comment?

I have started using the Maruti sachets (INR 15 for 50ml) and am quite satisfied. Further thinking of trying the much more expensive Sonax Clear View (INR 375 for 250ml).

This slightly dated review really speaks highly of the Sonax: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...we-test-twelve

Your common sense is right news paper causes micro scratches over prolonged use. I stopped using newspaper when i started seeing these micro scratches at night causing glare.

I use the Sonax 250 ml clear view. And its the best i have used! Go for it. Its highly concentrated and so one bottle will easily last for a year!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 17th May 2013 at 14:16.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

I got a can of Rain-X water repellant and anti fog swipes from Walmart. It works awesomely well. Had been on a long drive to Coorg and back and the water was just beading and flying away - barely used the wipers.
Old 16th June 2013, 13:17   #25
BHPian

Anybody tried out any super hydrophobic solutions?

http://www.neverwet.com/

http://www.hydro-bead.com/

I want some primarily to apply to the Wing mirrors and the windows.
I can find a ton of videos on youtube, but non of them say what product they are using.

and i can't find NeverWet anywhere.
Anyone has any ideas?
Old 15th August 2013, 03:39   #26
BHPian

Recently I had driven a car with Rain X coating on a single carriage way, it works pretty well, the only problem I had faced was those droplets of water appearing like crystals on the windshield when facing an oncoming with high beams on. It was a bit difficult to see through those. Is anyone facing a similar problem?
Old 15th August 2013, 04:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfordriving View Post
Recently I had driven a car with Rain X coating on a single carriage way, it works pretty well, the only problem I had faced was those droplets of water appearing like crystals on the windshield when facing an oncoming with high beams on. It was a bit difficult to see through those. Is anyone facing a similar problem?
Yes, I use RainX and the beads of water at night can be a problem, depending on raindrop size. In daylight it is great, above 80kmph. In heavy rain at 100kmph+ the vision is far better than using wipers. I use it on headlamps too, it keeps them far cleaner and transforms your vision when spray is at all dirty.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 01:48   #28
BHPian

While going thru ebay.in I found a product.
Defog It - Windshield Defogger Spray
this one claims :Prevents fogging for upto 1 Season
Has anyone used it ??
Old 16th August 2013, 08:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

defogging, I am assuming it's for inside can be easily be done by changing your AC to windscreen mode. This reduces overall humidity in the car. much more effective than a defogger on windscreen.

Rain-x is for the outside which prevents sheeting of water. I use it regularly and it needs a re-coat after about 3-6 months.

EDIT: rain-x at night is not going to be any worse than without rain-x at night. I would suggest rain-x with wipers on at night.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th August 2013 at 08:29.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:26   #30
BHPian

Re: Rain repellent.. AQUAPEL & RainX: my experience

RainX: TLDR - not recommended.

I tried RainX around 2004 and I think I still have some of it left :-(
Result: Haze, making it difficult to see at night. They have apparently changed the formula over the years, so YMMV.

Aquapel:
After contacting online sellers and using google to chase down Asian Paints customer care (unhelpful, to say the least). I finally tracked down a seller near commercial st. (Blr) - National Enterprises. For Rs. 475, I was handed a grubby, much handled pack that I reluctantly took home.

I had watched a few Youtube videos on how to do it right, a bunch of pages with tips on how to avoid streaking (use a damp towel to wipe off excess).

I waited for an auspicious time - watchman willing, my car with adequate clearance in the parking lot, and a good chance of rain!

I had the windshield, rear glass and the side windows cleaned thrice (yes 3 times with the blue liquid), twice with newspapers and then again with a clean cloth. Cracked the case by pinching the 'wings' as instructed and applied Aquapel to the windshield and wiped it off before it dried with a damp cloth. The rear and side got the same treatment.

Everything was clean and dry and I saw no streaks. At around 5 PM took my car out and IT RAINED! Drivers behind me would have seen a nut who did not switch on his wipers in spite of the pouring rain. Result: At 60 KMPH, the water beaded but did not flow! I finally switched on my wipers, another not-for-India product. On the BETL expressway, the same thing happened even at 80+ KMPH. Verdict: Not Recommended.

Unless PPG Asian-Paints offers to demonstrate and prove the efficacy of its product on your car, go with the shrewd Indian paisa vasool common sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks