Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 15:45   #1
BANNED

Rain repellent - how effective is this?

I read an article in motor magazine about rain repellent from jewel ultra. is this really effective. if yes can this be applied for SANTRO. has anyone done this in chennai.what is the price.TIA
Old 17th July 2007, 19:15   #2
BHPian

I actually purchased this when I was in the US back in 2005, gave it to a friend and he went to Mangalore for a drive. He suffered from this fogged up windscreen (discussed in another thread currently) and promptly blamed it on the rain repellent.

So it is just lying around in my house and i havent used it on my car(s) yet.

If i know that it did not cause the fogged windscreen, then i too would like to use it.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

cheapest rain repellent is tobacco just crush your ciggie and rub the tobacco on the windshield and the rain wont stick anymore. Alternatively apply shampoo, rinse off and dry with absorbent newspaper.

And any tobacco works - ciggie ones, chewing ones etc.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2007, 07:36   #4
BHPian

@n_aditya: Need to chk the usefulnes of tobacco as a rain repellent...

Hope i works...cant waste a preciuos ciggie for this...
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2007, 09:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me for asking, but what is rain repellent? how can one repel rain? or water for that matter. I thought wipers do the job nicely.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

It helps if the water does not stick to the glass even after the wiper's stroke.
Yes, tobacco is good, though i have never used it, i have seen auto guys do this a lot & have seen how good it is. Otherwise there are a number of different sprays in the market which help.
Old 18th July 2007, 09:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Excuse me for asking, but what is rain repellent? how can one repel rain? or water for that matter. I thought wipers do the job nicely.
lol! It doesnt repel rain. Just that water particles wont stick to glass and will run off faster.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
@n_aditya: Need to chk the usefulnes of tobacco as a rain repellent...

Hope i works...cant waste a preciuos ciggie for this...
Tobacco works fine. I once borrowed a bidi from a cabbie to rub on my windscreen, It works just fine. So there you are with a solution, dont waste a ciggie, rub a bidi instead..
I just love the words some of these ads use, "Rain Repellent"... I tell you!!??!
Old 18th July 2007, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

[quote=basilmabraham; Hope i works...cant waste a preciuos ciggie for this... [/quote]

Hehehe.. buy the cheapest one. BTW i read somewhere that adding a shot of vodka to the windshield washer reservoir also works wonders. Who says tobacco and booze are taboo.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hehehe.. buy the cheapest one. BTW i read somewhere that adding a shot of vodka to the windshield washer reservoir also works wonders. Who says tobacco and booze are taboo.
Man, good that you said "to the windshield washer reservoir"...
Old 18th July 2007, 23:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

i am using rainx for the last two years and it does work quite well enough. helps me more for the rear glass since water rolls of easily and can see behind better. for front i dont use wipers in moderate rains and occasionally sweep the wipers to give a dry windshield image. its quite a workout but every week to apply and rub it up. now i am out of stock and didnt get any from milan subway during last week. single application last upto a week max, a bottle lasted a season.
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Windscreen Water Repellent Advice

Hi folks!

I'm back with a doubt on windscreen water repellents. When I was in the US, I noticed that my Bro-in-law's BMW windshield repelled all rain water droplets ..and they just rolled away as small beads of water. When I asked him, he told me that BMW does some "coating" to his windscreen that makes it behave this way.

Now, I want something similar for my cars here in India. As a good 'rule-following' forum member, I did my bit and searched for something similar on Team BHP and found this thread.. Beedi and Tobacco are fine, but I want something that's spray-able, or easy to apply.

After Googling, I found these products
  1. Water Repellent Spray
  2. Aquapel - as per Amazon

Is there something like this available in India (read Bangalore) where I can buy products like this? If yes, Name, Brand and Price please?

Alternatively, can I try something else (apart from beedi and tobacco and vodka ) that works? My friend suggested using oil (which is a natural water repellent) and I said YEAH RIGHT!! Poor guy didn't realize I wanted it for my windscreen... not my head/hair!!!

Will these products cause any windshield damage / scratches / blurriness / loss of visibility over prolonged use?

I plan to use these for my Alto K10 and Hyundai Accent.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd September 2011 at 17:19. Reason: Please use Search before opening new thread thanks.
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

re: Rain repellent - how effective is this?

Have seen something similar at Reliance autoworld in HSR, comes in small sachet which can be poured inside the windscreen wash tank.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:27   #14
BHPian

There are no miracle products that can be applied to the windscreen to make it water repellent forever.

The most you can do is to :

1. Use detailing clay & clay the windscreen properly with clay lube for lubrication

2. Allow to dry in shade

3. Apply a good quality sealant/wax like Collinite 845 /Mothers Synwax/meguairs NXT to the windscreen in a very thin layer

4. Buff off with a good quality micro

This would help the rain water to bead up & roll off easily, also help the wiper blades move smoother.

Important is to also replace your wiper rubbers once a year if its a daily drive car. Summers in India are really harsh & the heat bakes the rubber. hence advisable to change the wiper blades before monsoon.

Also use a nice windhshield wiper fluid like Sonax clear glass mixed with your washer tank.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:22   #15
BHPian

I have bought a rain repellent product from a shell outlet and used it on my indica xeta.
Lot of fogging happened so i decided to keep it locked in safe place and will never use it again. Wipers does the job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks