Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 13:01   #1
BHPian

level one mods on my lancer

Hey Guys, I have been been putting forward various questions regarding the k&n filters, the flanges, spark plugs, the various oils etc. to all the senior bhpians and other bhpians for the last month or so. I just thought I should post thanking all of them and let them know what has gone into to my ride finally. So "Thank You" guys. I have a lancer sfx which is about 5 years old. Few days back while driving to work I just decided I would get all the level one mods(i.e. all the minimal performance mods). I drove to speedworks and after a lot of questions just decided I would go for the stock replacement k&n as the universal filters would need the piping and the piping has to made by some local guys which may not be all that reliable. So I picked up the stock replacement k&n for just over 6 grand. I got greedy when I saw the Simota carbon intake and almost went for that but since I am going to hang on to my lancer for only another 6 months or so I said I will go for the k&n(I still keep getting dreams of having the simota in my lancer). Next I picked up the ows spark plugs and 10w40 synthetic ows oil and also the carbon flush. After picking up all the stuff we opened up the bonnet and J.D. pulled out my sparks. It was in really bad shape. Anyways he put in my spark plugs and my k&n. In the meantime I spoke to electra's Krupesh and told him that my car will be there in the evening so that the engine flushing and oil change can be done. After fitting in my k&n, sparks we were ready to go for a test drive. I felt immediate difference in my drive. That very evening got my oil changed and been driving around for about a week. I would definitely recommend the above mentioned performance mods. The difference I find in my drive now compared to before is 1. Overall smoothness in drive2. Minor difference in initial throttle response3. Major difference in power after 2000rpm4. Now I feel like I can pretty much take on any other car on the road5. My accelerator feels like butter(so soft and smooth)6. My car used to jerk sometimes in low gears at low speeds. Now that has been irradicated If any of you guys want immediate difference in your drive quality with minimal expenditure I suggest you go for these mods.Cheers
Old 27th July 2007, 13:32   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

redsfx, spark plugs make no difference at all on your car. Just makes me wonder if we are really putting an effort in reading threads that matter.

And is the J.D you mentioned the Madan? And a stock replacement filter for a lancer costs 6k+ .
Old 27th July 2007, 13:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Next I picked up the ows spark plugs and 10w40 synthetic ows oil and also the carbon flush.
Are you sure that oil is sufficient for a hot place like Chennai?
Old 27th July 2007, 13:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I picked up the stock replacement k&n for just over 6 grand.
Sounds more like a rip off(?) here.Man I paid close to that for the conical filter.

Now can someone shed light if that price is justified please ?

Anyways as long as you are happy nothing else matters . Enjoy your car and drive safe.
Old 27th July 2007, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know you took the plunge towards modding ur ride.

But i seriously doubt spark plugs can give so power that you can take on any other car on the road, as said by you. With a free flow and K&N i can imagine but with only plugs the difference is just psychological.

Please dont get me wrong. My intention is not to demotivate you. You are obviosuly excited and i can understand that.

Also with regard to the oil, as temperatures in chennai hit over 40 degress celcius in peak summer (sometimes even 43-45 degress celcius) the following would have been better choices :

1. 15-W-50 grade
2. 20-W-50 grade.

All the best. Do post a review and i suggest you change the oil ASAP to a higher grade as mentioned above.

I guess u were ripped off, as for that price you paid for the OE K&N, you could have got a conical filter itself.

Anyway enjoy ur mods and drive safe.

P.S. What was the Simota carbon fiber intake priced at? I saw an accord with a simota CF intake at electra few weeks back.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th July 2007 at 13:56.
Old 27th July 2007, 14:46   #6
BHPian

Guys,

Regarding the pricing of the stock replacement k&n I checked methods and few other places and only then picked it up. Its over 6k for a lancer.That is why I initially thought I would go for the conical but the piping made is not the most reliable stuff and I dont want to keep going back to the workshop just beacuse of the piping. I will go for the Simota soon for my new car(hopefully an RS).

As for the sparks I did not say I could take on any car with just the sparks its just the way I put it because I felt good about my car after all these mods because prior to these mods my car was in really bad shape. And dude I would never take on anybody in my lancer( to tell you the truth I have taken on skodas and come out on top) when I have more powerful cars parked in my garage.

Regarding the oil I wanted to go for the 5w50 but J.D. recommended the 10w40. I just thought he would know better and said ok.

And yes by saying J.D. I meant J.D. Madan. I also got a good discount in the end. So overall I am pretty happy with what I have done and would not rue it beacuse in the end only I would know the difference in my car.

One more question guys: How often Do I have to change my oil now?

Cheers
Old 27th July 2007, 14:51   #7
BHPian

hi

Aditya,

The Simota was priced around 14k for a lancer which is basically a civic fitment. For smaller cars like the swift its 12k. Planning to get it for my swift very soon.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2007, 15:14   #8
BHPian

Redfx...Me too got a stock k&n for my lancer for 6k...But really regret my decision to not to go for a conical one...nways can somebody throw more light on the Simota???
Old 27th July 2007, 15:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sounds more like a rip off(?) here.Man I paid close to that for the conical filter.

Now can someone shed light if that price is justified please ?

Anyways as long as you are happy nothing else matters . Enjoy your car and drive safe.
Yup 6.2K for stock replacement filter. Only for the lancer it costs so much.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any cheaper after market Air Filters available for the lancer? Was planning to start doing up my lancer too.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Any cheaper after market Air Filters available for the lancer? Was planning to start doing up my lancer too.

You know where the Green Cotton filters are available
Old 27th July 2007, 15:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Yup 6.2K for stock replacement filter. Only for the lancer it costs so much.
Thats preposterous. I wonder why. Any specific reason?
Old 27th July 2007, 15:36   #13
BHPian

@rjstyle: You also get the green cotton filters, pipercross and ractive which pjspeed stocks. Personally I have no idea how good they are.

The Simota is a carbon intake system which contains the pipe with a carbon cover for the filter. The carbon cover ensures that only cool air is sucked in by the filter. J.D. showed me some dyno tests comparing the Simota to some other filters. The dynos showed a steady parallel curve compared to the stock dyno curve(i.e.) Difference throughout from low end to high end. This is what I understood. If anybody thinks otherwise please correct me.

The stock replacement k&n is good but I cant tell you if only the k&n made a differnce because I got few other mods at the same time. There is no loud growl with the stock replacement k&n. So if you are looking for the growl go for something else. Only reason I went for the stock k&n is the piping you get in Chennai which are made by local workshops are not the most reliable ones.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2007, 15:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

No idea. i asked pritham at sound factor. He just said the lancer's only is priced so high all the rest are much lesser.
Old 27th July 2007, 15:41   #15
BHPian

I guess they priced the stock k&n for the lancer so high because most k&n users are lancer owners. Just kidding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks