Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 19:38   #1
BHPian

Disc Brakes for Swift Back wheel

Is it possible to put disc brakes for back wheel of swift with ABS also working on them. Just curious to know because it will enhance the braking to a great extent.
Old 7th January 2008, 20:12   #2
BANNED

there is no need of disc brakes in rear wheels as swift is fwd . it will not affect braking much but put an extra load to ur pocket.but if u want to install i think it may cost above 30000 if it is possible
Old 7th January 2008, 20:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its very much possible, but i would not advise it to you, there are many hassles and reliability is not there.
Old 7th January 2008, 20:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
there is no need of disc brakes in rear wheels as swift is fwd . it will not affect braking much but put an extra load to ur pocket.but if u want to install i think it may cost above 30000 if it is possible
so RWD's dont need disc at front ?

IMHO, it ill be a tough job to do the mod as it needs expertise and will be costly too.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is no need of disc brakes in rear wheels as swift is fwd.
Corolla, Cedia, Civic, Octavia RS, Laura, Audi A4, to name a few.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:06   #6
BHPian

OT
the USDM corolla dont have disc behind. i tend to lock up real easy on my corolla. pp2 tires. is it because the car was proabably not designed to have disc behind?
Old 7th January 2008, 21:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
Is it possible to put disc brakes for back wheel of swift with ABS also working on them. Just curious to know because it will enhance the braking to a great extent.
If you have a stock swift or even a stage-I modified swift, It would do no good to plonk on disc brakes on the rear but put a hole in your pocket

Quote:
Huh? You cant be further than the truth friend. How can you make such a statement? Today most of the cars are front wheel drive but it makes no sense to say that one does not need disc brakes on the rear wheels, only for this reason. In that logic Rear wheel cars do not need Discs on the front
Most cars manufactured of assembled here share the front disc-rear drum combination
Even if the car is stock, converting to the rear disc format Will effect braking ie make it very strong, safe and even reliable if fitted properly. How and why you say it will not effect braking is a mystery to me. My view is that, it is not needed in the swift. It is tricky though. For changing the rear drum setup to rear disc brakes will require that you change your master cylinder over to a four wheel disc cylinder. There are also many other changes required but the conversion kit includes these and also instructs as to how one goes about it.
Yes it is not cheap but then nothing reliable is. If you are going for a stage-III plus mods on your car and if you are going to T/C her then in all probability you should go in for a disc brake system for the rear.
There is no welding etc required and they are bolt on.
Changing to the rear disc setup is very possible, many members on out forum have done that with swifts and other cars and are very happy with the results.
@ Busa- I have seen and driven Viper's OHC with a disc brake set up in the rear (and four piston set up in the front) which works very well and is very very reliable indeed. You have to have a reliable make if you want reliable stuff. Expensive?... well its a relative term and one would only think of putting rear discs if the power of the car needs it which in comparison to what you have already spent on the car is a fraction... but reliable absolutely. I think it becomes a necessity to plonk discs at the rear to be safe in a powerful car. Its a small price for safety and control.
I think Gembella's Swift is also shod with rear disc brakes if im correct.
Harry2223, please dont scare pshyamsundar without knowing the facts man.

Last edited by V-16 : 7th January 2008 at 21:29.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

before someone ask ... this even applies to bikes!

Old 8th January 2008, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks V-16, Yes Vipers car is reliable but it takes lots of times and effort to make it to be reliable.

Gemballa - Where are thou, enlighten us on the conversions.

Only cars which require all wheel discs are 4WD, AWD cars
Old 8th January 2008, 08:34   #10
BANNED

sorry i dont know much about this i wrote according to my knowledge . but according to me whats the need of installing rear disk in a stock swift. its just a waste of money as brakes in swift are allready much affective. another thing is that brakes are the main part a little mistake during installation may lead to hazards.
Old 16th January 2008, 02:55   #11
BHPian

you can put brakes in the rear plus u need a brake booster kit and brake balance to control it but before you do all that just upgrade your front brakes and callipers and hoses. excess make a kit for the swift not sure how much they are but round 50k. these brakes are insane and stop my turbo swift in a flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

Only cars which require all wheel discs are 4WD, AWD cars

firstly AWD and 4WD are the same thing. and ALL heavy and/or powerful cars have rear disc brakesas well as fronts....swifts and small hatch backs with 1.3 lites engines dont require them as they are so light and fronts are ample to stop the car...and front brakes are always bigger and more powerful then rears

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2008 at 05:28. Reason: Posts merged. You do know you have limited time to edit your posts, right?
Old 16th January 2008, 07:16   #12
rippergeo

almost all cars nowadays come with discs up front and drums at the rear.

1.that set up is cheaper than all round discs
2. it is the ideal set up to minimise tail out antics during hard braking
(4 wheel discs with a rearward brake bias would be better, but see reason 1)

like gemballa said, upgrade the fronts and the tyres first, then see if you still need the rear discs.

Old 16th January 2008, 10:28   #13
BHPian

Swifts breaking is already good..no need to go for a disk break on rear wheels. just drive an ikon and see what i mean
Old 16th January 2008, 10:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshyamsundar View Post
Hello,

In my experience running my Swift + ABS almost clocked 22k kms, You do not need any disc brakes at the rear. But I would strictly advise you to change the rubber. This enhances your braking.

Cheers,
Raps
Old 16th January 2008, 11:47   #15
BHPian

if you have the cash and are really looking to enhance your braking then why not! go ahead dude, but only if you want that all out stopping force...of course rear discs impact the braking, and by a lot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks