Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stage Two Mods on my Skoda 1.8 TPi

The quest began way back in '98 when I got a chance to drive a few modified VWs, Audis, Skodas and Seats. I fell in love with the 1781cc in line 4. But at that time I didn't know anything about the tuning scene in India. Plus, I was a student and did not have access to funds. Ages passed, and I started to live with the "regular" cars - 2.0 Safari, Ikon, Lancer 1.5, etc.

Then one fine day, the Skoda Octavia was launched. I was excited beyond words. But, my favorite 1781cc was not available yet. I got the 90 bhp 1.9TDi and was happy. Very happy. For a few years. Then, the RS came out. At approximately 15L OTR, it was WAY beyond my budget. But, the dealer told me about the Rider trim that was on the cards.

The 1781cc finally came into my possession in May 2005. I was on the top of the world. I ICED up my silver Octy, got 16" Falkens and it was Full On motoring nirvana. The thought of owning a modified ride was always at the back of my mind though. But didn't know whom to approach.

On November 2006, my friend Sumantra (Planet Rocker) told me about a meet. A meet where some car guys would be present. I've been hooked to TeamBHP since then. I got to know about Pete's from TBhp.

Problem solved? Er.. not quite. I had had ZERO experience with tuned/mod'ed cars. I was concerned about the reliability and service back up post mod. And, I didn't want to kiss the warranty goodbye. I must have called up Peter (Turbo India) a thousand times with stoopid queries and questions. Peter was kind enough to answer all my stupid questions. Over and over again. I finally decided to get the Silver Bullet remapped. Started saving up for D-Day. But, some thing or the other would always come up and eat into my savings.

I had initially decided on the Phase 1 remap. But, Viperji convinced me to go the whole hog and get the Phase 2 done. Arranging that extra amount again took some time. Finally, on the 11th of Jan, 2008 the work started.
Custom Code Phase 2 Remap
Forge Diverter Valve
Forge Turbo Intake Pipe
Carbonio CAI
Evo Tuning heat shield
Milltek Full Exhaust with 2.75" down pipe
VAG to and bottom braces
Taron Brake Pads

The work could not be finished on the 11th as I had a blown Turbo gasket. Peter was kind enough to send the gasket the very next day! From Cochin!!

Finally, on the 12th evening the job was done. Mr. Mathews of Pete's took the car for a small drive. I was in the back seat with another TBhpian babhishek. The power, the sound from the diverter valve and the exhaust gave us an instant high! That night, after a spot of dinner it was time for the Test Run. I was driving with Mr. Mathews riding shotgun. He had the Ross Tech pugged in for readings. TBhpians babhishek and Planet Rocker also joined us.

Now the REAL FUN part. The test run was over in a blur. I don't remember anything. I don't even remember the speeds I got up to. It was as if I was watching a movie. Surreal! All I remember is the mad mad amount of thrust which pushed me back to the seats every time I accelerated. Every time, in every gear, at every RPM.

Its been a long time since the mod was done, but I'm still trying to fathom the power delivery. Whenever I plan to do a detailed test, I end up ripping the car.

I promise to keep you guys updated. As and when I'm able to do a proper TD.
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:52   #2
BANNED

Hey,

Am glad you ended up taking my advice. Hope you are enjoying the car and please drive safely as excessive power is addictive.

Cheers,

Viper
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:56   #3
BHPian

congratulations on your pete's. enjoy and drive safe.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would like thank some people. I should have done it earlier, but whenever I have spare time, I end up driving the car

Peter aka Turbo India - I've lost count how many times I called him up with my queries. Thanks to you, I could finally realize my dream!
Mr. Mathews - He came all the way to Calcutta to do the mods. He explained the finer points of the entire project step by step.
Mr. Santhosh - Chief technician. I've never seen anyone with so much knowledge about Octys!

Viper - For pointing me towards the right direction!

The entire Calcutta gang of TeamBhp. I must have bored them to bits about the entire project!
Razor - His was the first fully modded car in the city. I got the confidence to own a tuned ride from him!
Shuvc - The most stable headed guy in the Calcutta gang. He always kept my excitement in check and told me to go about the entire thing rationally.
Vinay Daga - Another TeamBHPian. He runs Glix 2000 (the biggest auto accessory shop) in Calcutta and let us use his workshop.

The entire TeamBHP - The mods, the members.

And a very special thanks to Planet Rocker, my school buddy. He enlightened me about TeamBHP and the rest as they say is history! This wouldn't have been possible without youcheers:

@ Viper & Pawan - Thanks guys. I am loving it!!

Last edited by shuvd : 3rd February 2008 at 10:46.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:43   #5
BHPian

congratulations man ! excessive speed needs excesive control
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey shuvd, has the FE dropped after peteing it? Hows the drive now. I'am planning to go for same for my Ikon 1.3.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re-mapped Skodas are another league !!!!! Having myself experianced the remap on my 1.9 TDi. I can well imagine that grin on your face everytime you push the pedal Hope your tyres are upto handling this power surge.

Enjoy the ride

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY we get a report. Cheers on a super hot car buddy.

So whats comming next? Susupension upgrade or a FMIC?

Also I know this is the stupidest question to ask but whats the FE like? Is it really that low even with sensible driving? Is the car too powerful for daily chores or is there no such thing as too much power?

Congratulations !!!

PS - I think its a little more than a few horses more.

Last edited by khanak : 3rd February 2008 at 11:27.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:29   #9
BHPian

The sound is to die for.
Great write-up shuvd, straight from the heart.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

great report shuvd. now for a clip of the exhaust note and pictures. even ive interacted with matthew and peter and found them to be most helpful.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,man.
What U've done is just a dream for many.
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shuv on your new mod and you sure are enjoying it to the hilt. Drive safe - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Will it be asking for too much, if you could give a detailed expense chart? No, I'm not from the IT but this info shall benefit others who would like to venture here but are not aware of the costs etc..

Old 3rd February 2008, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Undoubtedly the fastest car I have EVER driven in India, and one of the fastest ever Got an amazing rush just riding shotgun, and was blown away when I drove the beast!! Congrats my friend... yours is an absolute dream ride! But get those brakes fitted asap.

PS: The best part is, it looks like a regular Octy from the outside. But it bears down on you like a locomotive and leaves you eating its dust!
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Congrats Shuv. I got my chance to ride the beast after Planet's reception party. I have never driven anything like this before. After 2000 rpm I dont know where all that power comes from. It just pushes you deep inside your seat and you see the visible world vanishing from your window. And that whistle from the exhaust...hard to forget in this life. I am now totally addicted to it. Waiting for my next chance :-) Its a tank which can vanish your car from its rear view mirror.
Old 3rd February 2008, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Someone post an in car video. Im sure ittl be really awesome to watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks