Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 14:37   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Ques1. K&N Typhoon is better or Universal Twin Conical Green Filter is better? I think Green one have more surface area and green is ahead of K&N in terms of performance. Your Suggesions please

Ques2. What about CAI on Elantra CRDi?
Gangsta - I use Green cotton stock replacement filter and is better than a K&N. In green cotton noise levels are less compared to a K&N when you are blasting the beast.

If you are going for the conical air filter then you are losing the advantage of CAI.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

gangsta - get the green storm CAI.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:49   #18
BHPian

thanx for the kind reply guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Gangsta - I use Green cotton stock replacement filter and is better than a K&N. In green cotton noise levels are less compared to a K&N when you are blasting the beast.

If you are going for the conical air filter then you are losing the advantage of CAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
gangsta - get the green storm CAI.
So which one will give better performance?
Green Twin Conical Filter or GReen Storm CAI?
Old 14th March 2008, 16:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
thanx for the kind reply guys.

So which one will give better performance?
Green Twin Conical Filter or GReen Storm CAI?
well if the pipe is put to a place where it can get fresh cool air from outside the car it would perform better than a conical that is sucking in hot air from your engine bay.
Old 15th March 2008, 18:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well if the pipe is put to a place where it can get fresh cool air from outside the car it would perform better than a conical that is sucking in hot air from your engine bay.
thanx bro. I will surely go for Green Storm. changing Headers, Manifolds and Exhaust is recommendable? Because High Rev is not there.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:48   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Here is some very interesting news for all you elantra owners. Those who want more power, can get hold of a boost controller and up the boost a bit.

I know someone who uppped the boost from 7psi (stock) to 1bar and the car felt insane. Only trouble is that the clutch didn't hold up for long. But at 10psi the car does feel like a dream. Id recommend this to anyone with a common rail diesel engines. Apparently this made a wonder of a difference to the drab Skoda Tdi.
Old 19th March 2008, 12:35   #22
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Here is some very interesting news for all you elantra owners. Those who want more power, can get hold of a boost controller and up the boost a bit.

I know someone who uppped the boost from 7psi (stock) to 1bar and the car felt insane. Only trouble is that the clutch didn't hold up for long. But at 10psi the car does feel like a dream. Id recommend this to anyone with a common rail diesel engines. Apparently this made a wonder of a difference to the drab Skoda Tdi.

this sounds interesting! where can i find one? and is it a 1 size fits all component? I have 3 CRDI engines at home all hungry for more boost!

Old 19th March 2008, 13:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

wont the longevity of some engine components be reduced?
Old 19th March 2008, 18:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Definitely you would have to compromise a bit on the life of the engine depending on the extend of mods done -IMO.Elantra is wonderfull with the petes and the filters.
ram
Old 19th March 2008, 18:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know this sounds too good to be true but how sure are you that the fuel pump can handle that much boost. I don't think Hyundai would have had the maps updated to handle double the boost.

I can agree about increasing boost upto 20% as the engineers would have factored that much in but 50% is too hard to believe. I do know of 1 person who did do this on a Safari and promptly blew his engine going up 4 PSI extra.

Did also hear of 1 elantra that went up 5PSi and had problems. The clutch was always a bit suspect for the existing torque hence any upgrades on boost will require a better clutch.
Old 19th March 2008, 20:31   #26
BHPian

That means we need to spend money on the performance clutches too?
Old 20th March 2008, 12:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Did also hear of 1 elantra that went up 5PSi and had problems. The clutch was always a bit suspect for the existing torque hence any upgrades on boost will require a better clutch.

Hi keshav,

elantra crdi stock is 7psi, if we can add just 3psi total will be 10psi.
can elantra crdi handle 3psi extra boost?

i am asking this because i don't want to go for 1bar, i want power aswell as be in the safer side.

I am also ready to install performance clutch for the power it gives.

Any other upgrades to be done to be in safer side.

one more question?
will it work with petes box which is already installed.
Old 20th March 2008, 19:09   #28
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
I know this sounds too good to be true but how sure are you that the fuel pump can handle that much boost. I don't think Hyundai would have had the maps updated to handle double the boost.

I can agree about increasing boost upto 20% as the engineers would have factored that much in but 50% is too hard to believe. I do know of 1 person who did do this on a Safari and promptly blew his engine going up 4 PSI extra.

the elantra's engine is supposed to be hyundai's best attempt at CRDI(prev gen) is'nt that so?
anyway, double the boost on stock internals will be suicide!
just a teensy weensy bit wont hurt will it?

what happens if the fuel pump cant deliver? i mean, other than it going bust or car not performing as expected due to poor fuelling, what else can go wrong with regards to the fuel pump?can the lack of fuel cause trouble elsewhere in the engine(running too lean)

what about the turbo? will it be able to take 3-5psi more?
installing a new turbo kind of defeats the purpose of using a boost controller doesnt it?

wont a standalone ECU help with new fuelling maps? is that kind of service available? how much would it cost?

ofcourse the clutch will have to be upgraded.DUH!

but think how delicious this elantra could be!

@mclaren1885
how much does this boost controller cost?
can you adjust the boost levels via a switch/dial from within the cabin?

Old 20th March 2008, 19:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@mclaren1885
how much does this boost controller cost?
can you adjust the boost levels via a switch/dial from within the cabin?

He told me that for boost controller and fitting charges its 22k and to fit it takes around 4hours. The fun part is if you need power switch on the boost controller or else switch off to make it a normal car. He also recommended that not to go more than 10psi to be in safer side and it works with petes
Old 20th March 2008, 21:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

interesting to see till where one can go just to go quicker. Looks like your mind is made up but i would tread carefully above 9 psi even more with petes box as i am not sure till when it will hold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks