Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 11:58   #121
BHPian

This is fun.

TCS works by slowing down the spinning aka the faster wheel , with respect to car. Only during acceleration. It might come on at 205 , if you are driving a 500+ bhp car.

Loss of traction during cornering is very very hard for the computer to correct , coz the correction usually involves a change in direction. ESP helps, to an extent.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:39   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiuc View Post
After installing intercooler mileage has been increased by 1 km / ltr with AC on.

soon i will be putting a detail review.
Any updates cmiuc?Looks like you're enjoying the fruits of your labour way too much mate
Old 21st January 2009, 16:22   #123
BHPian

He might not be the only one.. Watch the space
Old 21st January 2009, 16:52   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hey i never said your right. i agree with tadu and vid. i doubt tcs came on when you were taking those corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I don't think it'll come on when you're doing high speed cornering unless you try & accelerate during the same. Like Vid mentioned that's the ESP's function. TCS IMO prevents the tyre from losing traction not grip.

P.S. Tadu is right. Read here: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake12.pdf HowStuffWorks "Traction Control Explained"

It works to stop wheels losing traction when accelerating, not when they loose grip. Also, a lot of people mistake Traction & Grip as one & the same, and that is absolutely not true. Remember that.
Yup. I was wrong Tadu you were right man. I did good search on TCS.

I did the same mistake which you mentioned Ishan. traction and grip as one.
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:24   #125
Senior - BHPian

Haha! I made the same mistake too at one point of time!! But we learn!
Old 24th January 2009, 09:57   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
He might not be the only one.. Watch the space
Arrey bhai if he is not the only one then where are the reviews from anyone saar? Real unfair to post that and torture me with the wait man.
Hope someone gets the time to post a review on the IC soon.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:03   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Arrey bhai if he is not the only one then where are the reviews from anyone saar? Real unfair to post that and torture me with the wait man.
Hope someone gets the time to post a review on the IC soon.
cmuic's car is really nice to drive after the intercooler upgrade. While there is no real increase in 1/4 mile timings, there is so much more torque earlier in the rev range. The turbo lag is almost completely gone, and there is ZERO diesel clatter. Guys not in the know would easily bet it is a petrol if you are sitting inside the car.

And the lack of improvement in quarter mile times can be attributed to the fact that the car is almost impossible to launch. Even if it is soft launched at 2000 rpm, the wheels spin like 2-3 seconds before the new PP2s on that car find traction. All with TCS on.

To sum up, everybody wants to drive cmiuc's car every time we go out.

The new larger intercooler also resulted in a pressure drop of around 2 PSI. To really reap the benefits of this one, I guess it needs a slightly larger turbo. Maybe somebody here will eventually get around to trying it...
Old 24th January 2009, 13:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

I guess the diesel clatter is gone due to the increased pressure drop after the new/larger intercooler. Is the car really making more power?
Old 24th January 2009, 16:31   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I guess the diesel clatter is gone due to the increased pressure drop after the new/larger intercooler. Is the car really making more power?
Dont know if the pressure drop(~2PSI) alone would reduce the clatter. The engine feels like it is lazily spinning away, compared to the cars with the stock inter cooler. And normally, there is no change in diesel clatter when the Greddy electronic waste gate is adjusted(11 to 24 PSI), so this has to be something else.

And if it is making extra power, maybe a wee bit, but nothing significant. You could also say the engine is developing lot more power in the lower range of the rev band, and correspondingly less in the upper part of the rev band. Prompted me to think that maybe such a large intercooler needs to be paired with a slightly large turbo so that it can feed the engine in the higher reaches of that tiny rev band. Of course, since this is less theory and more practice, will never know until we try that one.

So even though we know the power gains might not be much, most of us still want to do this mod as this takes the refinement of that engine into the league of the German diesels, maybe even a tad better than that.

Maybe next weekend will take the cars out, with an OBD2 scanner connected. Maybe that will help make sense of what is going on inside that engine. Will surely post results once we do that run.

Last edited by tadukuttan : 24th January 2009 at 16:34.
Old 24th January 2009, 18:34   #130
BHPian

tadukuttan @ is it possible to make it a twin turbo elantra? will it be better than an intercooler?
Old 24th January 2009, 19:54   #131
BHPian

Twin turbos are a good idea. But what , where, how? Is the question
Old 24th January 2009, 20:26   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Twin turbos are a good idea. But what , where, how? Is the question
tadu braj .... bangy elantra guys must be having the ans. for it.
Old 24th January 2009, 22:52   #133
BHPian

we have an answer for the big turbo. But dont have one for twin turbo. As a matter of fact i havent heard of a twin turbo setup on a fwd 4 cyl in india at all,
Old 24th January 2009, 22:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
tadu braj .... bangy elantra guys must be having the ans. for it.

FYI Prabuav is also a part of Bangalore's mad elantra gang...

Hoping to read a nice exciting review from him soon.
Old 24th January 2009, 23:04   #135
BHPian

Why not the captivas turbo

If you are thinking in terms of a twin turbo would it not be better to put the VGT turbo of the Captiva since they share the same engine and you already have a bigger intercooler. All this if you have access to a Dyno and a fresh ECU plot of the Captiva.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks