Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 21:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Hey could you post some pics of the oil cooler and how it's attached to the engine, I mean the plumbing for the oil to circulate through the system. I have always wondered why we are not given oil coolers on our cars.
They are not needed on passenger cars. An off-roader or a truck, a vehicle that is constantly going at low speeds at high revs under heavy loads or up hill might need an oil cooler. Usually they look like a small radiator and are positioned right in front of the main radiator. They are small enough so that they do not interfere much with the cooling of the main radiator. Nothing fancy about them, one hose in, one hose out. A transmission oil cooler works the same way.
Old 29th March 2008, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Wow ! you seemed to have worked everything out. All the best for your project.
PS : Try a PS job with the rectangular head lights up front. It dramatically improves the look.
See.. I am going to fix the headlights in such a way that only the headlights glass is visible (Like in the attached photo). Also if it is possible, I am going to lower down the bonnot by 2-3 inches from the front which means the overall look would be very similar to Wranger.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting a MM540 into my Dream..-27.jpg  

Old 29th March 2008, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
MRF Sandgrip are nylon (non-radial) tyres.
I've driven these tyres on the most hardcore off-roading surfaces. I can't comment on the grip.But,very very tough!
I prefer to go for redial tyres so they can absorbe the shocks to some extend. Can you please advice me some good redials for all terrain. I prefer to have a bit broader tyres (perhaps 215 75 R-16, 235 75 R-16 or even 265 75 R-16).
Old 30th March 2008, 13:38   #19
BHPian

dessertking-congrats on getting a mm540 and good to know you doing it up, i do have a mm540 too,4wd, which i bought brand new in 1994,its done 2 lakh plus km,i have modded it[little bit].[pls check my garage].its one hell of a vehicle which can take any terrain with ease even fully loaded.
Old 30th March 2008, 15:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
They are not needed on passenger cars. An off-roader or a truck, a vehicle that is constantly going at low speeds at high revs under heavy loads or up hill might need an oil cooler. Usually they look like a small radiator and are positioned right in front of the main radiator. They are small enough so that they do not interfere much with the cooling of the main radiator. Nothing fancy about them, one hose in, one hose out. A transmission oil cooler works the same way.
By keeping the oil at relatively lower temperature, the engine wear and be reduced. The oil systems in our cars are not that good, the pistons are cooled by splash oiling by the crank . If one can get the temperature of the oil lower than what the company limit is, It does not harm the engine but benefits it.
Plus I would love to see how the system is connected by M&M.
Old 31st March 2008, 10:33   #21
BHPian

Hi desigNation.. I have checked your garage, the roll over cage attract me the most. I want to know that which front bucket seats you have. I mean from which car?? Also pls advice which redial tyre can be fixed on the same rim size (right now it has 16 6.00 nylon).
Old 1st April 2008, 10:07   #22
BHPian

I have come to know that the new Scorpio and Safari Decor both has a tyre size of 235 70 R16 but their rim is a little bit broader compared to the MM540/550. Can somebody please advice if I have fit the same tyre on the original rim/wheel of my MM540. I have planned to change the rim to the broader one but the problem is that the holes on rim/wheel are of not the same size. Still is it possible to fit the broader rim/wheel. How much should it cost and is it really nacessory to change the rim/wheel.
Old 1st April 2008, 12:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

The wheels on MM540/550 [if the are the steel disc once] are too small [thin ] to handle the tire you mentioned, you will have to buy wheels for those tires , either alloy or the the steel disc once available for Armada [but they are 15" wheels]. If you want to put 16' only than you will have to design a spacer [ steel plate] to match the PCD of the wheels to the hub.
If you want broad radials you will have to change the wheels, or tire deform on the thin wheels.
Old 1st April 2008, 15:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The wheels on MM540/550 [if the are the steel disc once] are too small [thin ] to handle the tire you mentioned, you will have to buy wheels for those tires , either alloy or the the steel disc once available for Armada [but they are 15" wheels]. If you want to put 16' only than you will have to design a spacer [ steel plate] to match the PCD of the wheels to the hub.
If you want broad radials you will have to change the wheels, or tire deform on the thin wheels.
Can you please explain a little bit more that how can we design a spacer. Also what does PCD means. I am not sound in technical wordings so you might have to explain me in a simple words. Also I am very much security concerned, how do you rate the self designed spacer. Is it fully secure??

Thank you
Old 1st April 2008, 15:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
I have come to know that the new Scorpio and Safari Decor both has a tyre size of 235 70 R16 but their rim is a little bit broader compared to the MM540/550. Can somebody please advice if I have fit the same tyre on the original rim/wheel of my MM540. I have planned to change the rim to the broader one but the problem is that the holes on rim/wheel are of not the same size. Still is it possible to fit the broader rim/wheel. How much should it cost and is it really nacessory to change the rim/wheel.
The army version comes with broader 16 inch rims since they run 7.5 x 16 tires. If your jeep doesn't have that you should be able to pick it up from the same place where they dismantle the old army jeeps. You should be able to mount 235's on that rim. These rims are different from the very narrow OEM rims. I have 205 on the OEM rims but I doubt it will take anything more than that as it is only 4.5 inches wide.
Old 1st April 2008, 15:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wheel Rims of Bolero / Bolero Camper can be fit on MM 540/550 DP. Incidentally, Bolero Camper has 235 R 70 15 tyre, and not all scorpios sport the 235s.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The army version comes with broader 16 inch rims since they run 7.5 x 16 tires. If your jeep doesn't have that you should be able to pick it up from the same place where they dismantle the old army jeeps. You should be able to mount 235's on that rim. These rims are different from the very narrow OEM rims. I have 205 on the OEM rims but I doubt it will take anything more than that as it is only 4.5 inches wide.
Hey thanks , I for got it's an ex army vehicle, they do come with 16" wheels.
Old 1st April 2008, 21:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertKing View Post
Can you please explain a little bit more that how can we design a spacer. Also what does PCD means. I am not sound in technical wordings so you might have to explain me in a simple words. Also I am very much security concerned, how do you rate the self designed spacer. Is it fully secure??

Thank you
If your not sure, you or your mechanic can handle this thing do not try it. It just a steel disc which has holes on it to bolt it to the hub and bolts on it so the wheel mounts on it. They are quit safe if right materials are used.
Old 2nd April 2008, 10:52   #29
BHPian

dessertking-the bucket seats i'm using is of the new ambassador,its a perfect fit[regarding the seat height too].i'm using a 15 inch wheel, with 255/70/15 goodyear wrangler tyres.theres a 540 in my town with 275/16 so i dont think tyre size would be an issue,make sure u have power steering.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:25   #30
BHPian

Hi, while searching on web I have come accross a modified MM540/550 (having MH no. on it) in which the air inlet it mounted on the top front (close to the windshield). See the photo attached and the video of the same can be seen at YouTube - motocamp's Channel. I think it is very useful and I want to opt it. Since I am not very much sound technically, can you please help me in fitting it. The same kind of air inlet is fitted on the Trex Gorkha also.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting a MM540 into my Dream..-air-inlet-540.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks