Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 00:52   #1

need tips/help for modding my ikon zxi

i am a total noob to the car performance mod scene and looking to modify my ikon zxi 1.6L and basically planned to do step by step mods eventually leading to installing a turbocharger. of course before i do any of this i am trying to learn and understand what i can and cannot do with my car. i don't just wanna take my ride to a tuning shop and say "yank up the power bro"... i want to understand what they do and why they do it.

i have already received a number of great inputs on the subject over at the blazed forum... throwing this open here also as i'd like to get as much help/information as i can.

ok now basically i've been told that the ikon is a beast to mod and this i've been told offline too...apparently the fact that its a 4cyl-2valves per SOHC is what nixes the deal :(

i like the handling of the car, makes it too much fun to drive the ikon...
i was hoping a more powerful engine would up the fun factor....and would most definitely like to kick up the power and torque up by large margin.

my options seem to be -
1) swap the car
2) swap engine/transmission/brakes/suspension

i don't wanna swap the car. i like it a lot - lotsa memories, i'd like to keep it and improve it

so i was wondering has anybody here ever modded or know of a modded ford ikon?
is it possible to swap in a 1.8L/2.0L engine into the ikon? where can i get one and what can i get?
any other suggestions?
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

hey bro,

what ever mods you are doing, do it step by step so you can feel the difference each mod has created.
the simplest and first mods you should do is -
- upsize the tyres for better grip and looks
- get a KnN or Ractive air filter kits. They help the car breathe better..
- a free flow.
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

These threads could prove useful to you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html
Old 4th April 2008, 13:26   #4
BHPian

Guys, this guy specifically needs inputs on modifying his Ikon. The "modify your car" thread is more like Honda-Suzuki modification guide which is more popular. I guess most of the details hold good for the ikon too but you cant go overboard on the Rocam engine.
Things you can do to improve HP on your ikon:
1.Open up the intake and exhaust
2.Head porting and polishing.
3.Enlarged throttle body + ECU remap (RaceDynamics ECU) not sure if Karthik has worked on ikon but it should be possible.
4. Turbo charge.
5.If you are looking for a swap be ready to shell out loads of money. You could import 2.0L Cosworth engines putting out 200HP from UK. I bet nobody would have done that in india but this swap is being done on ikon ( Fiesta MK5) in UK. and it is possible to fit a 2.3 L Cosworth engine or even a Mondeo engine in the ikon. But costs are immense..
It is more sensible to stick to points 1-4. but even then, i hear from tuners that you cant do much on the ikon..

Last edited by shazikon : 4th April 2008 at 13:28.
Old 5th April 2008, 02:17   #5

shaz - i was hoping to get the ikon turbocharged but the feedback i'm getting is that the ikon is a monster to mod up. any idea on whether this is a possibility for the ikon or not?

i basically like the stock power delivery at low-mid, up to 3000-3500 rpm... but then it kinda just plateaus.
i wanted to get the overall power output jacked up and maxed at around 3000 rpm and then maintained at least upto 6000 rpm

i am thinking of getting the following done up - cold air intakes, headers/ffe, porting/polishing and cams... but if turbo charging is a possibility i'd like to add that to the list

as for costs of engine swap i know it'll be high - after all apart from engine i'd have to change at least the suspension, brakes and transmission. but i guess if i pony up for a really good engine the tune/mod up of it would be real sweet.

what is the ballpark number for a 2L Cosworth (i guess it'll be still outta my budget but am curious) ?

what about swapping in a indian ford fiesta engine or a honda civic 1.8L ?

who would be best to tell me about this? where i can find out what engines are available?
Old 5th April 2008, 11:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In fact I was discussing the same topic with a friend the other day. The Ikon 1.6 is the perfect car for a Stage 3 and beyond modification. Even in stock form, it can probably hold its own against many modified cars - such is its torque curve.

Personally speaking, if I still had our Ikon 1.6 Zxi, it would have seen some forced induction by now.

Last edited by theMAG : 5th April 2008 at 11:24.
Old 5th April 2008, 11:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Guys, this guy specifically needs inputs on modifying his Ikon. The "modify your car" thread is more like Honda-Suzuki modification guide which is more popular. I guess most of the details hold good for the ikon too but you cant go overboard on the Rocam engine.
you can just that it is a bit difficult due to the engine positioning and lots of plastic. The modification guide applies typically to all engines.
Old 5th April 2008, 12:31   #8

i would love to turbocharge the ikon zxi but i have been told it would be a pain to modify because,
1) even though its 1.6L its an SOHC engine with 2valves per cylinder
2) engine positioning and lots of plastic - as pointed out by shazikon

i have yet to read of the ikon being turbocharged in india any where... any one know if this has been done?

now i've been trying to get hands on info on the specific shortcomings of an SOHC 2V/CYL engine that makes turbocharging unfeasible/difficult... because the ikon zxi is so much fun to drive that i find it difficult to believe it cannot be turbocharged...i guess i feel it should be possible to make something good even better!

as for the plastic and engine positioning - can this be rectified somehow? i am sure that the plastic parts can be replaced... engine position would be the big toughie.
Old 5th April 2008, 13:29   #9
BHPian

I think the most famous modded Ikon on the Forum belonged to Jitu (Ford Rocam).

You could wait for him to come along and give his advice on this thread, else contact him via PM.

He knows the car pretty much inside out and was a big help when I had caled him for advice on something as mundane as the correct rim/tire combo for my car.

Last edited by swale84 : 5th April 2008 at 13:32.
Old 5th April 2008, 14:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamz View Post
i would love to turbocharge the ikon zxi but i have been told it would be a pain to modify because,
1) even though its 1.6L its an SOHC engine with 2valves per cylinder
2) engine positioning and lots of plastic - as pointed out by shazikon

i have yet to read of the ikon being turbocharged in india any where... any one know if this has been done?

now i've been trying to get hands on info on the specific shortcomings of an SOHC 2V/CYL engine that makes turbocharging unfeasible/difficult... because the ikon zxi is so much fun to drive that i find it difficult to believe it cannot be turbocharged...i guess i feel it should be possible to make something good even better!

as for the plastic and engine positioning - can this be rectified somehow? i am sure that the plastic parts can be replaced... engine position would be the big toughie.
If you intend to go turbo, then first mod i will recommend you is "brakes" the stock brakes on stock ikon are not up to mark.
7 Psi can be done easy on stock block, stock manifold (inlet), remember ikon's ecm was tuned for 87 octane fuel on 9.1 c.r by ford india,All you need is a proper sized turbo for this 8v engine, fuelling needs to be taken care of which can be done via piggyback Unichip from Dastek or any other standalone such as racedynamics. yes there's space constraint since engine exhaust is at firewall end of car but it can be done. No need to touch engine position & fiddle with mounts, Ford engineers have done a perfect placement of engine with proper weight distribution wich adds up to its superb handling characteristics.
Just my 0.5$
Old 5th April 2008, 14:36   #11
BHPian

Jitu ( Ford Rocam) had done it and proved it could be done on the ikon ! although i havent seen it, i bet it would have been a handful. turbocharging the ikon was almost out of reach of common BHPian untill now.. Sourcing a Piggyback/stand alone ECU with different fuel maps was almost impossible, now you have the Racedynamics ECU and lots of turbo kits available in the market. Only concern is parts are too costly and some times parts availability is an issue. But before you do up any mods take care of the brakes as Jitu said.
Old 5th April 2008, 14:40   #12
BHPian

No Shaz,
My project was not complete, but only 60% done when it met with an accident & my car was scrapped & so was the project. and then it was the birth of HYBRID HONDA.

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 5th April 2008 at 14:43.
Old 5th April 2008, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
If you intend to go turbo, then first mod i will recommend you is "brakes" the stock brakes on stock ikon are not up to mark.
7 Psi can be done easy on stock block, stock manifold (inlet), remember ikon's ecm was tuned for 87 octane fuel on 9.1 c.r by ford india,All you need is a proper sized turbo for this 8v engine, fuelling needs to be taken care of which can be done via piggyback Unichip from Dastek or any other standalone such as racedynamics. yes there's space constraint since engine exhaust is at firewall end of car but it can be done. No need to touch engine position & fiddle with mounts, Ford engineers have done a perfect placement of engine with proper weight distribution wich adds up to its superb handling characteristics.
Just my 0.5$
Hi! Jitu..Please let me know the mods that you carried out for Brakes on your Ford Ikon 1.6....Thanks
Old 7th April 2008, 22:58   #14

seek and seek and seek and you shall find!!!

Ford Performance Parts ---- this guy makes performances parts for Ford Rocam engines , for racing! cams and branches and induction kits, the works... have written to him for some more info.

anybody know about this shop?

he claims his cams keeps the low end torque and power delivery while adding another 16BHP to the top end....while the stock cams fizzle out at 70KW at 4000rpm ... his will produce upto 82KW upto 6500rpm and then flatten out.
thats a lot and thats very interesting.

also do K&N Filter boost power output by much? i read a post where a guy claimed his cone K&N filters had boosted his power output to 111BHP .... got me interested...
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:44   #15
BHPian

gautamz, any new luck on your quest for Ikon 1.6 mods?? I too have the same car and waiting to get the rest of my Stage 1 mods done, i.e. Free flow exhaust headers and engine porting/polishing/shaving.

Just got a new set of wheels though, so this may have to wait!

By the way, I checked out Steve Wyndham Racing, South Africa's site. Pretty cool find! I'd say it's probably cheaper to get the same exhaust manifold custom-made here in India, but the cam is totally worth it (just under rs. 10,000 incl. shipping)!

what inputs did the proprietor of this website give you after you emailed him?

Cheers mate, please share whatever new finds you come across!

PS The K&N open-air filter does NOT increase BHP by that much. At most 1-3 BHP and that too at higher revs, since the engine can breathe much easier then. The biggest (noticeable) gains come from the following (not including a turbo/supercharger):
a. A good, well-tuned FF exhaust
b. Camshaft + cam-specific tuning
c. Extensive ECU upgrade (for example, the RaceDynamics system)
d. Engine head work (i.e. porting, polishing, the works)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks