Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:39   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Thanks, Invisible.

Will bear that in mind and pick up the Green Cottons too
Last evening, the Tuning Box was installed on my Octavia 1.9 TDi along with Green Cotton air filters. I must say the low-end power has improved significantly. The drive in the city was more comfortable with improved pick-up.

I am yet to test it completely, but the 20-25 KMs that I drove last evening were really satisfying.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Last evening, the Tuning Box was installed on my Octavia 1.9 TDi along with Green Cotton air filters. I must say the low-end power has improved significantly. The drive in the city was more comfortable with improved pick-up.

I am yet to test it completely, but the 20-25 KMs that I drove last evening were really satisfying.
Thanks Ardy for that update. Please keep us posted of the effect on FE and whether your car starts smoking (Dr.Anbumani Ramadoss notwithstanding).

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 3rd March 2009 at 12:44.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Thanks Ardy for that update. Please keep us posted of the effect on FE and whether your car starts smoking (Dr.Anbumani Ramadoss notwithstanding).

Cheers,
From the little that I drove last night in bumper-to-bumper traffic of Secunderabad-Hyderabad, the FE were pretty much the same as what I usually get. Mr. Mathews from Petes said that I may see a drop in the FE during the first week of the driving, not because of the tuning box, but because of the instant additional power and would be back to normal once you get used to the additional 20 BHP and 40 Nm of power and torque respectively.

I have changed the stock air filters to green cottons to keep the smoke in control and would be keeping an eye on it.

PS: The person from whom I purchased the tuning box had smoing problems when this was installed on his Octavia. And inspite of open help from Petes, I believe he never got it rectified.

Last edited by Ardy : 3rd March 2009 at 13:12.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:07   #49
BHPian

Slightly OT but I needed some info as I was looking to buy a re-mapped 1.8 turbo . . . .

- How much does the bhp increase from the stock 150 after a stage I remap ?
- How much (approx) does the stage I remap cost totally (along with other required mods like a typhoon intake) ?
- Where does one do these stage I remaps in Mumbai ?
- Does it affect the engine life ? increase maintenance costs ?
- I was told the remapped car still gives around 8kmph in the city and 11 on highways. Is this possible in a car claimed to have 220 bhp even if it maintained very well ?
- Any specific points to be looked at when examining a stage I remapped 1.8 turbo ?
- If it is so much fun and not too costly, why does Skoda not come out with an official variant . . . the "stage I vrs" ?!
- Last but not the least . . . how much should such a stage I remapped 2005 1.8 rider that has done around 60k kms cost ?!

Thanking you all in anticipation of the answers
Old 6th March 2009, 16:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
Slightly OT but I needed some info as I was looking to buy a re-mapped 1.8 turbo . . . .

Stage 1 ECU remap increases BHP by 50 taking vRS to 200 BHP.

- How much (approx) does the stage I remap cost totally (along with other required mods like a typhoon intake) ?

Petes charges around 38K for Stage I remap taking the BHP to 200. Along with this they recommend Diverter Valve and Filters which will cost you around 16-17K.

Contact www.petes.in

Can't comment as I am also contemplating the mods.

- I was told the remapped car still gives around 8kmph in the city and 11 on highways. Is this possible in a car claimed to have 220 bhp even if it maintained very well ?

As far as I know, most of the additional power is going to come at higher RPMs and so driving normally would not hamper much of FE figures.

- Any specific points to be looked at when examining a stage I remapped 1.8 turbo ?

Nothing really. The electronics should not have any faults.

- If it is so much fun and not too costly, why does Skoda not come out with an official variant . . . the "stage I vrs" ?!

Well, 2001-2005 vRS in Europe was sold as 200 BHP stock car. In India, the car was detuned for some reasons. I believe one of the reasons was FE.

- Last but not the least . . . how much should such a stage I remapped 2005 1.8 rider that has done around 60k kms cost ?!

It should cost the same irrespective of the age of the car and mileage it has clocked.

Responses inline in Italics and Underlined.

Last edited by Ardy : 6th March 2009 at 16:23.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Stage 1 remap is to 180 bhp, not 200. And the car should cost you around 6 lakhs.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:39   #52
BHPian

Hey Ardy, Thanks for your prompt answers.

What I wanted to ask in the end was how much should I pay for a second hand skoda 2005, 1.8 rider that has been remapped and done around 60k kms
Old 6th March 2009, 16:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ardy, Thanks for your prompt answers.

What I wanted to ask in the end was how much should I pay for a second hand skoda 2005, 1.8 rider that has been remapped and done around 60k kms
V1p3r has already anwsered on the cost of a second hand vRS.

I personally do not know how much should it cost. Never ventured into the second hand market of vRS
Old 6th March 2009, 16:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Stage 1 remap is to 180 bhp, not 200. And the car should cost you around 6 lakhs.
I have seen 200 BHP vRS.

In fact, Petes gave me a quote for Phase 1 200 BHP mods. May be I need to clarify with them on this.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:17   #55
BHPian

Hmm . . . let's see . . .
The only reason I'm hesitating in buying this car is that it has already done around 60k kms.

Thanks once again. I'll let u all know if I go ahead and buy it.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm . . . let's see . . .
The only reason I'm hesitating in buying this car is that it has already done around 60k kms.

Thanks once again. I'll let u all know if I go ahead and buy it.
All the very best, bikefreak
Old 6th March 2009, 21:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can expect it upto 190bhp after stage 1 along with the change in filter.

around 35-40K for the remap, addtitional 10k or so for the typhoon kit.

It's done at four season's, tardeo they deal with Pete's products, who does the custom code remap, UK.

It depends how good you take care of it. With additional torque and bhp there would be less stress on in gear acceleration but the more you keep redlining it you would even any normal engine's life span being affected. No maintenance costs accept that your fuel cost would go slightly higher as you wouldn't be able to resist yourself from flooring the pedal.

Yes, with added torque you may be downshifting less as you have additional boost in torque. Also, you would be flooring the pedal way less than you would with a stock engine. This way your drivability would be improved. But, as I said if you keep flooring the pedal you mileage go down towards south.

The engine should be in a healthy state, especially the turbo. Many RS engines are abused and the one that gets abused more is the turbo.

That's against the company law's which are governed by restricted ARAI rules.

I wouldn't give more than 5.5Lakhs for that.

You will find many sites here which have discussed on various upgrade options for the RS. It might help you if you go through them.

Also, have a read at this interesting article, I tell this to everyone thinking of upgrading their 1.8tpi engine. Turbo Information for the VW GTI 1.8T Turbo Engine - swankmonkey.com
Old 7th March 2009, 09:10   #58
BANNED

@ Invinsible - "It's done at four season's, tardeo they deal with Pete's products, who does the custom code remap, UK."

Pls check with Pete's. Four Seasons is no longer their distributor.

Viper
Old 12th March 2009, 14:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

Tuning box from Pete it is!

Hi,

Thanks each one of you in this thread, you have given me great information, it was a bit of an overload and it took me a while to digest all the fundas that you guys seem so familiar with.

I was looking to buy a Palio 1.6, so I put off the work on the Laura. The 1.6 thing is not working out so I decided to work on the Laura.

I decided to go with the Pete's tuning box rather than a re-map for the following very simple reasons.

1. I understand that the re-map has to be done perfectly by a very competent person. I am not sure I will be able to get it done in Hyderabad. The Pete's box, on the other hand is available off the shelf.

2. Re-remapping, or un-remapping if you will, is well nigh impossible. On the other hand a Pete's box can be disconnected by me, making the car stock again!

3. GTO and my regular independant mechanic could not stress enough on the inadvisability of fiddling with the Skoda's electricals and electronics. (That includes no Lightforce bar and lights.)

I popped into the dealer for Pete's in Hyd and placed an order for the tuning box. It costs Rs.31,200/- and should be here in two days.

Now I have to follow up with Skoda about the spoiler.

Thanks again guys and I promise to keep you posted.

Cheers,
Old 12th March 2009, 14:20   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Hi,

Thanks each one of you in this thread, you have given me great information, it was a bit of an overload and it took me a while to digest all the fundas that you guys seem so familiar with.

I was looking to buy a Palio 1.6, so I put off the work on the Laura. The 1.6 thing is not working out so I decided to work on the Laura.

I decided to go with the Pete's tuning box rather than a re-map for the following very simple reasons.

1. I understand that the re-map has to be done perfectly by a very competent person. I am not sure I will be able to get it done in Hyderabad. The Pete's box, on the other hand is available off the shelf.

2. Re-remapping, or un-remapping if you will, is well nigh impossible. On the other hand a Pete's box can be disconnected by me, making the car stock again!

3. GTO and my regular independant mechanic could not stress enough on the inadvisability of fiddling with the Skoda's electricals and electronics. (That includes no Lightforce bar and lights.)

I popped into the dealer for Pete's in Hyd and placed an order for the tuning box. It costs Rs.31,200/- and should be here in two days.

Now I have to follow up with Skoda about the spoiler.

Thanks again guys and I promise to keep you posted.

Cheers,
Great to hear that you are spicing up your Laura ... Tuning Box is a good option if you want to increase the bottom end performance. I have the tuning box on my Octavia and I find the difference in the 1st and 2nd gears mostly making life a little easier in city driving conditions. Please note that the top speeds would not change.

Do not forget to replace your air filters with Green Cotton. They would reduce the level of smoke.

With respect to the remapping, Petes would have been glad to come over to Hyderabad to remap your Laura. I intend to speak to Peter today to discuss the remapping of my vRS that I want to take up in early April. If you want to talk to Peter and take a look at Remap Vs. Tuning Box, PM me and I shall give you his number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks