Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 19:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Cooking inside the car? How is it done? I guess even if cooked inside, its done after parking somewhere safely !
As I go for car-camping trips often, I was looking for ways to cook inside my car. Fossil fuel based cooking methods were automatically out of the question as it is illegal to keep fossil fuel inside a car's cabin in India. Wood burners would be too messy and fuel-tablet based burners would be very risky especially in a petrol car like mine. Hence, I have procured a 12v 100 watt electric cooker for the purpose. I can hook it up to a solar panel if I so desire in the future. Since the cooker has a mechanism for locking and closing the lids, I do not need to stop and/or park my car for cooking. I prepare the ingredients, put them in the cooker, close the lid and plug it in the 12v cigarette lighter socket of my car. Then we turn on the car engine and go off on our merry way. In about 25-40 minutes, the food is cooked. The only condition is that the engine should remain on else the battery would be drained rendering the car unable to start.
Chhanda Das is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 20:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
illegal to keep fossil fuel inside a car's cabin in India. Wood burners would be too messy and fuel-tablet based burners would be very risky especially in a petrol car .
Is it indeed illegal to keep fossil fuel inside a car's cabin ? What rules/laws, could you please elaborate ? I have recently purchased both a compact gas burner with butane cylinders, and a fuel tablet burner to use on road trips, primarily to heat tinned food or make tea/coffee. I need to know if I can get into trouble if searched on the road ! But I would never try cooking inside the vehicle, except in an emergency -- say, heating tea while stopped, and it is raining outside.

I also carry jerrican(s) of petrol on long trips, and if you are right, this too is illegal. But never faced any problems !
Old 12th January 2020, 23:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Is it indeed illegal to keep fossil fuel inside a car's cabin ? What rules/laws, could you please elaborate ? I have recently purchased both a compact gas burner with butane cylinders, and a fuel tablet burner to use on road trips, primarily to heat tinned food or make tea/coffee. I need to know if I can get into trouble if searched on the road ! But I would never try cooking inside the vehicle, except in an emergency -- say, heating tea while stopped, and it is raining outside.
I also carry jerrican(s) of petrol on long trips, and if you are right, this too is illegal. But never faced any problems !

Petrol and butane come under Petroleum Class A while diesel comes under Petroleum Class B. I would request you to kindly take a look at the following laws and rules framed by the Government of India over the years (Although the rules and laws apply primarily to ships and other vessels, they also apply to vehicles as confirmed by the Explosives Act, 1908) :-

1. http://petroleum.nic.in/sites/defaul...LEUM_RULES.pdf

2. https://www.peso.gov.in/PDF/Petroleu.../chapter_3.pdf

3. https://www.peso.gov.in/PDF/Petroleu.../chapter_3.pdf

The summary of all of the above is you cannot carry fossil fuel inside the cabin of a car. Violation can range from a fine of INR 1000 upto INR 5000 with simple imprisonment upto 3 months. Just because you didn't face any problems while carrying petrol in jerrycans inside a car cabin doesn't mean it is legal.

Since, you gave the example of making tea, here is my perfectly legal suggestion which I, myself follow as well. You can get a 12v tea/coffee maker for as low as INR 450 and you can use it while your car is on the move too.
For other modifications to your car for touring, please feel free to check out the following link where I have converted my 2017 Creta Petrol AT into a motorhome https://www.facebook.com/groups/3320...9787402888009/
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 00:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Although the rules and laws apply primarily to ships and other vessels, they also apply to vehicles as confirmed by the Explosives Act, 1908)

The summary of all of the above is you cannot carry fossil fuel inside the cabin of a car. Violation can range from a fine of INR 1000 upto INR 5000 with simple imprisonment upto 3 months. Just because you didn't face any problems while carrying petrol in jerrycans inside a car cabin doesn't mean it is legal.
I have many friends who carry jerry cans with fuel on long drives and have never faced any issue. Personally, I have carried the small 5l lpg cylinder/stove on my Ladakh trip and was never questioned. Maybe the boot doesn't classify as cabin
Old 13th January 2020, 00:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have many friends who carry jerry cans with fuel on long drives and have never faced any issue. Personally, I have carried the small 5l lpg cylinder/stove on my Ladakh trip and was never questioned. Maybe the boot doesn't classify as cabin
I must say you took a huge and unnecessary risk. Legally speaking, the boot will be considered a part of the cabin if it is accessible from inside the car. Moreover, I was merely stating what the law said irrespective of its implementation.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:03   #36
BHPian

Thank You,Chhanda Das, will surely look up the rules etc. But out of necessity, will have to carry extra fuel in jerricans, too !
However, the tea/coffee maker alone will not suffice, as I did mention heating food as well. Moreover, MY laws strictly prohibit the consumption of any liquid, hot or cold, inside the vehicle, specially when moving ! Will have to resort to our old practice then -- stop at a deserted location, collect a few twigs and light them up between stones .

Looked up your FB page ...impressing. Wish I could join, but I am a Gypsy person. I too have the floor lights, car fridge, tyre inflator, jump starter ( more for others, as Gypsy is manual and can be push started), voltmeter, lithium battery fan, etc. Got most of these from AMAZON, including all sorts of recovery equipment. Will post a picture of my Gypsy dash some day -- winner of the 'most cluttered dash' prize.
About the solar powered tyre pressure monitor, where do you mount the panel ?

People in remote places, particularly in hilly areas, carry extra fuel in cans as a matter of habit, as insurance against emergencies. I have had a few fuel pumps in Calcutta refuse me petrol in jerricans citing the Explosives Act, but must read up on it now !

Anyway, we are completely "off the topic" here, I think.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 09:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thank You,Chhanda Das, will surely look up the rules etc. But out of necessity, will have to carry extra fuel in jerricans, too !
However, the tea/coffee maker alone will not suffice, as I did mention heating food as well. Moreover, MY laws strictly prohibit the consumption of any liquid, hot or cold, inside the vehicle, specially when moving ! Will have to resort to our old practice then -- stop at a deserted location, collect a few twigs and light them up between stones .

Looked up your FB page ...impressing. Wish I could join, but I am a Gypsy person. I too have the floor lights, car fridge, tyre inflator, jump starter ( more for others, as Gypsy is manual and can be push started), voltmeter, lithium battery fan, etc. Got most of these from AMAZON, including all sorts of recovery equipment. Will post a picture of my Gypsy dash some day -- winner of the 'most cluttered dash' prize.
About the solar powered tyre pressure monitor, where do you mount the panel ?
People in remote places, particularly in hilly areas, carry extra fuel in cans as a matter of habit, as insurance against emergencies. I have had a few fuel pumps in Calcutta refuse me petrol in jerricans citing the Explosives Act, but must read up on it now !
Anyway, we are completely "off the topic" here, I think.
I am very thankful to the Team-Bhp moderators for moving these posts to the appropriate topics.

As far as I know, carrying the same fuel as your car consumes in jerry cans is perfectly legal as long as you limit it to 50% of your car's fuel tank capacity either outside your car (kinda like what is done in dedicated offroad vehicles like Wrangler, etc) or in your car's boot (only if it is not accessible from the cabin).
About your problem of heating the food, you can get a 12v cooker with keep warm functionality like what I did. That will eliminate the risky proposition of starting a campfire at a desolate place.

Just like you, I too follow the no liquid consumption rule in a moving car strictly with just one exception. My son, the sole driver of our car, has procured a 3 litre hydration bladder backpack for specifically drinking water while driving without taking his eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel. It doesn't make a mess even when the pipe is dropped with the valve open and is mounted at the back of the driver's seat headrest.

About the solar tpms, I did not mount the panel separately as the panel was inbuilt on the monitoring unit itself. Here is a video I found on Youtube showing the exact same one as mine with external sensors -

You are very welcome to join our FB group as the group description says "Non-owners but enthusiasts are welcome too" Speaking of recovery tools, here is a link to a post detailing some that I use - https://www.facebook.com/groups/3320...1577704708978/
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 19:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I am very thankful to the Team-Bhp moderators for moving these posts to the appropriate topics.

As far as I know, carrying the same fuel as your car consumes in jerry cans is perfectly legal as long as you limit it to 50% of your car's fuel tank capacity either outside your car (kinda like what is done in dedicated offroad vehicles like Wrangler, etc) or in your car's boot (only if it is not accessible from the cabin).
About your problem of heating the food, you can get a 12v cooker with keep warm functionality like what I did. That will eliminate the risky proposition of starting a campfire at a desolate place.]
Thank you again, you seem to be an encyclopaedia of 'rules against & about carrying fossil fuels in vehicles' ! We could have started a thread on that, if the fuel-carry was not already with its own. And in the process, we got shunted from 'amusing incidents' to 'cooking on a hot engine', more relevant !
Does Creta/Gypsy plus luggage space of SUVs qualify as accessible from cabin ?

Your son needs such repeated hydration, like a fish ? Must be stopping often, too, to relieve himself, or do you have a gadget for that also ? Never mind !

Thanks also for the FB invite. Will do.

I get it -- the solar panel gets light through the windscreen, on the dash.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 21:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you again, you seem to be an encyclopaedia of 'rules against & about carrying fossil fuels in vehicles' ! We could have started a thread on that, if the fuel-carry was not already with its own. And in the process, we got shunted from 'amusing incidents' to 'cooking on a hot engine', more relevant !
Does Creta/Gypsy plus luggage space of SUVs qualify as accessible from cabin ?
Your son needs such repeated hydration, like a fish ? Must be stopping often, too, to relieve himself, or do you have a gadget for that also ? Never mind !

Thanks also for the FB invite. Will do.

I get it -- the solar panel gets light through the windscreen, on the dash.
"you seem to be an encyclopaedia of 'rules against & about carrying fossil fuels in vehicles'' I try to do as much research as possible before embarking on a project with primary concerns being legality, safety and security. I also try to stick to the legal way and touchwood, never had even a slight issue with law enforcement agencies during my extensive travels in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Maharashtra over a span of over 5 decades. For example, I did extensive research for about a year and a half before getting my Creta in 2017.

"we got shunted from 'amusing incidents' to 'cooking on a hot engine', more relevant !" I seem to remember seeing a commercially available contraption on Aliexpress, which could be attached to the silencer of most cars to use that heat for cooking.

Boot of all Creta cars with normal rear seats and OEM rear parcel tray would be considered as inaccessible from the cabin. However, all Creta cars with 60:40 split rear seats and/or missing the OEM or identical rear parcel tray would be considered to have a boot accessible from the cabin. I am not familiar with the interiors of the legendary Gypsy due to a large number of variations and modifications and hence I am very unqualified to answer it. However, my guess would be that your Gypsy would need an extra jerry can carrier attached to its back or top outside the body same as my Creta.

"Your son needs such repeated hydration, like a fish ?" Let me share our experience while returning from Cooch Behar in early 2019. Before entering Kolkata, we encountered extreme congestion with large and heavy vehicle traffic for around 120-150 kms forcing him to drive in an extremely sleep-deprived state for the afore-mentioned distance with ultra-slow progress such that it took 6-7 hours for him to cover that distance right upto Jessore Road and there was no way to park or stop by the roadside as all the spots were taken up by large trucks. Now I am not in favour of energy drinks and hence water is the only solution to keep a sleep-deprived body going. But he could not drink more than one sip at a time at frequent intervals for fear of having to answer nature's calls. And just like you, I am not in favour of the driver drinking water from a bottle while driving and hydration is very important especially on long trips like these of more than 24 hours of nearly continuous driving. I decided then and there that a water bladder is a must have. Nature's calls are usually answered at fuel stations.

"Thanks also for the FB invite. Will do." You are welcome.

"the solar panel gets light through the windscreen, on the dash." Yes exactly.

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 14th January 2020 at 21:30.
Old 14th January 2020, 22:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My son, the sole driver of our car, has procured a 3 litre hydration bladder backpack for specifically drinking water while driving without taking his eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel. It doesn't make a mess even when the pipe is dropped with the valve open and is mounted at the back of the driver's seat headrest.
I saw from your FB post that you procured the water bladder from Aliexpress. My suggestion is to change the bladder internals with that of a reputed brand cause you are not sure of the quality of plastics used by these chinese manufacturers. It might do more harm than good in the long run.
I'd say it is always safer to use steel water bottles and stop and drink every hour or so. I utilize the time spent at toll booths to sip some water. You are not some race that you can't affort to stop even for a minute.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:41   #41
BHPian

Re: Cooking options on a road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I saw from your FB post that you procured the water bladder from Aliexpress. My suggestion is to change the bladder internals with that of a reputed brand cause you are not sure of the quality of plastics used by these chinese manufacturers. It might do more harm than good in the long run.
I'd say it is always safer to use steel water bottles and stop and drink every hour or so. I utilize the time spent at toll booths to sip some water. You are not some race that you can't affort to stop even for a minute.
Thank you very much for your suggestion and concern. I checked with a few of my friends at Decathlon and found that the bladder was the exact same one sold by Decathlon albeit without the Decathlon badging. However, as an extra precaution, I treated the internals with a white vinegar solution. After cleaning it out thoroughly, I filled it up with distilled water and noted the readings on a TDS pen immediately. Then I let it sit for exactly 6 months and again noted the readings while alternating between keeping it out in the Sun and then in the refrigerator every month. Since the readings came out the exact same, I figured the bladder was safe and hence I posted about it today on FB.

Although I agree that steel water bottles may be safer, they too suffer from the possibility of leaching trace quantities of heavy metals.

"and stop and drink every hour or so. I utilize the time spent at toll booths to sip some water. You are not some race that you can't affort to stop even for a minute". You are absolutely correct and I am totally with you on this. However, an experience in the past year has forced me to make an exception. Let me share our experience while returning from Cooch Behar in early 2019. Before entering Kolkata, we encountered extreme congestion with large and heavy vehicle traffic for around 120-150 kms forcing him to drive in an extremely sleep-deprived state for the afore-mentioned distance with ultra-slow progress such that it took 6-7 hours for him to cover that distance right upto Jessore Road and there was no way to park or stop by the roadside as all the spots were taken up by large trucks. Now I am not in favour of energy drinks and hence water is the only solution to keep a sleep-deprived body going. But he could not drink more than one sip at a time at frequent intervals for fear of having to answer nature's calls. Also, I am not in favour of the driver drinking water from a bottle while driving and hydration is very important especially on long trips like these of more than 24 hours of nearly continuous driving. I decided then and there that a water bladder is a must have.
Old 18th January 2020, 20:34   #42
BHPian

Wherever you go, you should not try to enter Calcutta in the evening or later -- a lesson I learnt bitterly ! So much so that if one goes to an evening programme, like a wedding, to some suburban town, it is prudent to go sleep off in some dhaba or elsewhere, and come back in the morning.
All entries are choked with truck traffic : 1) Kona Expressway is a joke ! A four lane link to Bombay Road (NH6), it neither goes to Kona nor is an expressway, bottlenecked by 2-lane flyovers never expanded.
Delhi Road (NH2) is somewhat okay till Bally Bridge/Nivedita Bridge, but later BT Road is a menace. 3) The less said about Jessore Road/NH 34 link to North Bengal and the North East, the better.

As to stainless steel water bottles, they should be safer than even PET, SS being used to store everything from milk to many corrosive chemicals.
If it still leaches heavy metal, let it, is my opinion. We are surrounded by all sorts of poisons and a little more will not make much difference.

This thing about hydrating is taken too far these days, I feel. With so many options of water vessels (even a bladder !) and mineral water available everywhere, I feel people are obsessed with hydrating while travelling. I am sure nobody drinks so much water at home or office, or we would have a more healthy population !

In the bad old days of glass bottles, our only water carrier was a zinc-alloy metal bottle with a felt lining on the outside. During hot season, we would dip the closed bottle into every road-side pond/stream, or hold under a tap, to keep the felt moist, and the water inside cool.
Water was more essentially carried in 5 litre oil cans for the radiator, who needed more hydrating than us humans. We would drink mostly during meal stops, from wayside inns, and also refill the metal bottle.

As for cooking, in the hills we carry canned meat or fish, and buy loaves of bread where available. In summer, you can make sandwiches without any heating, and stop somewhere for tea. Or make your own in remote places.
In the plains, and popular tourist routes in hilly areas, there is the 'dhaba' in some form or shape. But the original Punjabi dhaba with cheap tadka and roti, maybe an omelette thrown in, is difficult to find along trunk routes.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 02:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Wherever you go, you should not try to enter Calcutta in the evening or later
You are absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny
All entries are choked with truck traffic : 1) Kona Expressway is a joke ! A four lane link to Bombay Road (NH6), it neither goes to Kona nor is an expressway, bottlenecked by 2-lane flyovers never expanded.
Delhi Road (NH2) is somewhat okay till Bally Bridge/Nivedita Bridge, but later BT Road is a menace. 3) The less said about Jessore Road/NH 34 link to North Bengal and the North East, the better.
I must say that I have had bitter experiences with all of the above. Additionally, I feel that even during early morning, leaving Kolkata isn't as smooth of an experience as it was even until a year ago.

Quote:
This thing about hydrating is taken too far these days, I feel. With so many options of water vessels (even a bladder !) and mineral water available everywhere, I feel people are obsessed with hydrating while travelling. I am sure nobody drinks so much water at home or office, or we would have a more healthy population !
That is very true. But considering that doctors recommend a minimum of 3.7 litres per day for an adult male human, 3 litres of water is a conservative estimate for a nearly 24 hour trip as the hydration requirement is increased due to the car's air conditioning.

Quote:
In the bad old days of glass bottles, our only water carrier was a zinc-alloy metal bottle with a felt lining on the outside. During hot season, we would dip the closed bottle into every road-side pond/stream, or hold under a tap, to keep the felt moist, and the water inside cool.
Water was more essentially carried in 5 litre oil cans for the radiator, who needed more hydrating than us humans. We would drink mostly during meal stops, from wayside inns, and also refill the metal bottle.
I clearly remember those times as I used to follow the above in my Grandpa's Landmaster and later in my 1986 Ambassador. Even today, I have seen truckers from Gujarat, Rajasthan, etc carry water in leather containers and hang it outside their trucks for it to cool by evaporation.

Quote:
As for cooking, in the hills we carry canned meat or fish, and buy loaves of bread where available. In summer, you can make sandwiches without any heating, and stop somewhere for tea. Or make your own in remote places.
Oh yes, we do that too. In the twisty roads, we try to avoid bread as that causes acidity. We also try to avoid canned foods and Maggi at high altitudes as the high sodium content in them causes bloating.

Quote:
In the plains, and popular tourist routes in hilly areas, there is the 'dhaba' in some form or shape. But the original Punjabi dhaba with cheap tadka and roti, maybe an omelette thrown in, is difficult to find along trunk routes.
That is very true but I found them to be widely available in Bihar and Assam. In fact, by far the best food I have encountered was at such a nondescript Punjabi Dhaba in upper Assam about 3 decades ago on our way to Dibrugarh .

Note from Support: Please see this post on how to QUOTE posts. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

Last edited by aah78 : 19th January 2020 at 07:43. Reason: Quotes fixed. See Note. Thanks!
Old 19th January 2020, 20:31   #44
BHPian

Too much trouble (for me) multiquoting like that !

Alas, I still do not travel by airconditioned cars (except within city), so hydration ration must be lower for me ! Anyway, I am used to drinking like a camel at pit stops.

Yes, some truckers still carry water in goat-skins. But the practice is almost unseen within Calcutta, where 'Vistis" used to deliver drinking water in such goatskins !

Ma'am, tinned food was invented for the hills/jungles, and for the defence forces ! Much before Maggi and other 'instant' formulae ! But agree, they are too salty. I grew up in the Northeast on tinned pork, sardines, baked beans etc, and condensed milk, and still rely on them while travelling. Tried some ready-made biriyani & chicken dishes etc, but they are all too sour, made in and catering to southern tastes. Bread, fortunately, causes no acid-problem with us, habituated from schooldays even to the untoasted, stale fungus-laden ones !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Bread, fortunately, causes no acid-problem with us, habituated from schooldays even to the untoasted, stale fungus-laden ones !
I too grew up in the Northeast like you and never had a problem with bread when I used to stay there. However, I do not know what happened when I shifted to Kolkata a few decades ago. I seem to have lost the ability to digest bread since then except in very small quantities of one or two slices. Hence, I stay away from them especially on trips where washrooms may not be easily available considering that I prefer to car camp always.

About the goatskin water bags, I see them frequently in Kolkata on trucks with GJ and RJ registration plates especially in the Burrabazaar area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks