Team-BHP - Key lost : Now what?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Key lost : Now what? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/47192-key-lost-now-what-11.html)

Hope you have filed an FIR at the nearest police station?

Also please inform BMW dealership and insurance provider so that if a claim is to be made, shall be easier and faster to process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 4926787)
Our BMW 630 GT Display remote key left on the roof of the car by mistake, tumbled off, and though we made many passes in the area on foot and by car we couldn't find it.

How did the car start if it was outside the passenger cabin? The car will start only if the key is inside the car or did you have the standard remote as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick5490 (Post 4927478)
How did the car start if it was outside the passenger cabin? The car will start only if the key is inside the car or did you have the standard remote as well?

The key was on the roof and the car started without a problem. The driver assumed it was in the lady's handbag while she presumed he picked it off the roof before getting in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 4927548)
The key was on the roof and the car started without a problem. The driver assumed it was in the lady's handbag while she presumed he picked it off the roof before getting in.

Quiet possible that the key may still be in the handbag/car. The car will give a warning if the key is out of range. Am sure it must have been checked, but try starting the car without any key inside to see if it starts.

Hi all, I have recently bought a pre owned Honda Brio and with the car I've only got a single key (Normal one). I'm thinking of getting a key with the lock and unlock mechanism, checked with HASS and they are quoting 7.5k with a waiting time of a month. I've checked with a key maker and he's quoting 3.5k with the whole computerized process. Just wanted to know if it's worth getting it from outside? The old key will work with the new one as per him. Any pointers?

Guys, I’ve lost a key of my WRV. Went to the police station and got a CSR. Insurance wants FIR but cops say for lost vehicle keys only CSR will be given and not FIR.

What can I do?

Guys, I am taking a pre-owned car but the owner has lost one key (Remote FOB) of Honda City. He dont remember how it got lost and he has neither lodged any FIR or informed insurance company.

I am not inclined to take the OEM key and would rather procure it from local keymaker.

In this scenario, what will be your suggestion ? Should I ask owner to get FIR registered ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh159 (Post 5157884)

In this scenario, what will be your suggestion ? Should I ask owner to get FIR registered ?

Why not do the safe thing and get the lockset replaced at Honda, and deduct the cost from the negotiated price of the car?

Why would you want to risk not knowing where a usable key to your car is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 5157901)
Why not do the safe thing and get the lockset replaced at Honda, and deduct the cost from the negotiated price of the car?

Why would you want to risk not knowing where a usable key to your car is?

Yes, Thats the ideal situation and I have already asked for that.
Not sure if I will be able to pull that off but will surely give it a shot!

Quote:

Guys, I am taking a pre-owned car but the owner has lost one key (Remote FOB) of Honda City

I am not inclined to take the OEM key and would rather procure it from local keymaker.

This is a very common occurrence where the alternate key is misplaced and happens very often.

It’s far cheaper and quicker to just get a duplicate key coded and use your car. Rs. 3,000 - 3,500 is approximate cost for coding and new key set. You can select different design too. FIR is inconsequential and police will not bother much with such cases.

Quote:

Guys, I am taking a pre-owned car but the owner has lost one key (Remote FOB) of Honda City. He dont remember how it got lost and he has neither lodged any FIR or informed insurance company.

Have exactly same issue. Buying pre-owned Creta (2016, SX auto, petrol). Owner has lost the second key. Hyundai quoted 20K+ for a new one. Any suggestions / pointers on where to get this (@Bangalore). Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 (Post 5416890)
Have exactly same issue. Buying pre-owned Creta (2016, SX auto, petrol). Owner has lost the second key. Hyundai quoted 20K+ for a new one. Any suggestions / pointers on where to get this (@Bangalore). Thanks.

Not sure if this helps. I just collected my car from kormangala AC repair shop and was driving back to kanakapura road, I stalled the car while negotiating a speed breaker. When I tried starting again, it refused to crank giving engine immobilizer alert. Which means car key is de-coded. Got few key scanner contacts from AC shop to check if they are nearby. Sharing their contacts pic. Since they do key programming, they might give some leads on duplicate key making. Give a try. I have not availed their service not know them. Tread with caution.

I have a remote car key for my Ford Ranger and another spare normal key (without remote). Can I simply get a copy of the normal key made from road side key makers or will it also require some key programming to manually unlock, start the engine etc?

Thank you

Hello bhpians,

I am a proud owner of Kia Sonet Diesel HTX [with Self start].
I have misplaced my key fob [I am quite sure it's not stolen]. Looking for advice on how to proceed with getting a key replacement
- I do have insurance coverage for Key Replacement [TATA AIG]. Can anyone share tips/experiences on the claim process? Do they settle the claim given I do have a spare key with me

- What precautions shall I take while getting a new key? Any pitfalls/traps to avoid

- is the FIR necessary if I am certain the key is not stolen?

I am in a state of panic right now. Appreciate all the help I can get :unhappy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus32 (Post 5497416)
Hello bhpians,

I am a proud owner of Kia Sonet Diesel HTX [with Self start].
I have misplaced my key fob [I am quite sure it's not stolen]. Looking for advice on how to proceed with getting a key replacement
- I do have insurance coverage for Key Replacement [TATA AIG]. Can anyone share tips/experiences on the claim process? Do they settle the claim given I do have a spare key with me

- What precautions shall I take while getting a new key? Any pitfalls/traps to avoid

- is the FIR necessary if I am certain the key is not stolen?

I am in a state of panic right now. Appreciate all the help I can get :unhappy

Don't worry happened to me as well. Didn't filed a FIR. I have the same model as yours.

Just go to your Kia service center and they will take care of the whole process including claiming insurance if you want it. Total cost of key replacement came at 4200 including GST in my case couple of months back. I claimed insurance cos had the key replacement add on.

If they have a spare key in advance they will ask KIA HQ for your key code. It usually comes in a day. In my case I requested so it came same day and they were able to get the code and get the spare key working in an hours time.