Team-BHP - Key lost : Now what?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Key lost : Now what? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/47192-key-lost-now-what-2.html)

New Key = piece of mind = Priceless. IF someone is bent upon stealing your ride he will do so.He does not need your lost key.they have the skills, but a few thousands for peaceful sleep I would pay for that. :)

If someone has lost one out of the two keys of a car and wishes to get another key made, can he do so through any dealer? (if its a Maruti car)

If it has to be the same dealer from where the car was purchased then would he ask for an FIR? If yes, would the police log an FIR for a key simply lost? Or does it have to be reported stolen to the police?

Another question if it has to be the same dealer, in case a dealer wraps up his car business then where would a customer who bought a car through that dealer go in similar case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2289925)
In case of car theft claim, will not the insurance Company insist for a duplicate keys?

Yes, they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surprise (Post 2289925)
Will they accept the key done local key maker (will they able to identify it was not the original keys & fabricated locally)

I had this doubt long back and enquired the same to a known insurance agent. Offline comment I got is, as far as the quality (appearance) of the duplicate key is same as the original one, they don't make any issue and normally they have no process of verifying whether it is OEM key or the aftermarket one.

Lost my car key with autocop remote.

1) Immediate action I am taking is disabling lost key.: If someone who found my lost key has bad intention then he can open doors but can not start car.

2) Then changing whole lock set and remote central locking system for peace of mind.

There is no threat of old key being used to open the vehicle in case of programmable keys since they are controlled by systems whereby it is virtually impossible to get entry into the car.

In case of old type keys, one is better off with changing entire lock set. Here again most old key sets would also only allow entry to the car and would probably disable starting the engine once the key has be changed and updated.

Then again, if you have a vehicle with old type key, a thief would have some mean to gain forced entry anyways whether you change the lockset or not! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 2723095)
If someone has lost one out of the two keys of a car and wishes to get another key made, can he do so through any dealer? (if its a Maruti car)

If it has to be the same dealer from where the car was purchased then would he ask for an FIR? If yes, would the police log an FIR for a key simply lost? Or does it have to be reported stolen to the police?

Another question if it has to be the same dealer, in case a dealer wraps up his car business then where would a customer who bought a car through that dealer go in similar case?

Most car manufacturers these days have CRM software system usage whereby dealers across the country have full information regarding a particular vehicle and its history. So, you can visit any authorised dealer to get the key changed.

Dealers usually change the key along with the lock set as a practice but newer vehicles which are equipped with programmable keys make changing just the key is enough.

Dealers do not require an FIR if the original owner makes a request for change of keys but they could ask you to provide a letter on non-judicial stamp paper declaring that you wish to change the locks on the pretext that you have lost the original key and you are the rightful owner of the vehicle.

Does anyone have any idea that if someone finds a lost key, just the key, could they trace it to a car? If all dealers for a car manufacturer have access to all the car key programming data then could a lost key found by someone be traced to a car through a dealer's help?

I hope I haven't given any wrong idea to anybody :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 2844712)
Does anyone have any idea that if someone finds a lost key, just the key, could they trace it to a car? If all dealers for a car manufacturer have access to all the car key programming data then could a lost key found by someone be traced to a car through a dealer's help?

I hope I haven't given any wrong idea to anybody :P

Technically it can be traced but not by the average Layman. You need to have access to the company system, through which one can trace your car. With just the key and no contacts, its as good as finding even a house key on the road.

One set of my i10 Magna Auto car keys- essentially the single common key plus the remote for the remote security system was lost in my car basement. now my building has seen a series of thefts (from a Hionda Activa rear wheel to a pair of Toyota Corolla tyres!), and so am wondering what would be the best course of action.

Trident Hyundai in JP Nagar suggested I first get the immobilizer password changed, I also got a duplicate key cut. Then when trying to change the immobilizer pwd changed they figured their GScan instrument wasnt working on i10s and so I need to trudge to Hosur Rd to get that done.

But that wouldnt solve the problem of the thief being able to get into my car (since he would have the key), and can cut off the remote alarm since he has the remote for that as well.

Is the only option now to get a whole new lockset (Trident says it might cost Rs6,000)?

And since its my wife who uses the car, I am all the more worried.

(Moderators, not sure if it would fit in any other topic so posting as new).

It would be wise to change the entire lock set. Your car, is right now a sitting duck.

I would really suggest you to change the entire set and it will give you the peace of mind.

The same thing happened to be lastmonth, I have lost my key-bunch,
which has
* My Royal Enfield Bullet Key
* My House Key ( two , as my main door has two locks)
* My Bi-cycle Key
* Helmet Holder Key
* Key to open my French-Window door of my Hall

Have spent about Rs.10,000/- to change it. Till I change it, I have never parked my Electra, in common parking, Infact I have Never parked it anywhere other than Office and Apartment Basement Parking till I change it.

You never know, it could have been intentionally picked by some one and waiting for opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanthp3 (Post 3044007)
One set of my i10 Magna Auto car keys- essentially the single common key plus the remote for the remote security system was lost in my car basement. now my building has seen a series of thefts (from a Hionda Activa rear wheel to a pair of Toyota Corolla tyres!), and so am wondering what would be the best course of action.

Trident Hyundai in JP Nagar suggested I first get the immobilizer password changed, I also got a duplicate key cut. Then when trying to change the immobilizer pwd changed they figured their GScan instrument wasnt working on i10s and so I need to trudge to Hosur Rd to get that done.

But that wouldnt solve the problem of the thief being able to get into my car (since he would have the key), and can cut off the remote alarm since he has the remote for that as well.

Is the only option now to get a whole new lockset (Trident says it might cost Rs6,000)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by srikanthp3 (Post 3044007)

Hello srikanthp3,
As everybody has advised, it's better you get the whole lock set changed. What's 6K's for a car that costs 5L's. And remember peace-of-mind is too priceless!!

I too had a similar incidence with my car. Had the whole lock set changed.
Read my experience here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2665780

Hope this helps,

Varun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1107044)
No problems with the OHC. You can get a key made by any local keymaker. However, if you lost all the keys, how will the local keymaker duplicate it?

Don't they insert a metal strip into the lock and rotate the strip so as to get the lever marks on the strip? Then they file the strip as per the marks. About three iterations does it. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Note: Apologies, did not realize that the thread had been merged with an older thread, and I replied to this very old post, without looking at the respective post's date. MODS Please DELETE this comment.

I know these are old posts, but since the answers are either incomplete or NOT right (with respect to Maruti), I thought I will put my real life experience to answer these. :)

Quote:

The dealer can NOT make a replacement key. They place the order with the factory & the new keys are dispatched from there.

Quote:

No FIR required. No police involvement required for a replacement key.

Quote:

I believe you can go to any dealer to place a request. You will need to submit the RC book copy and also provide the code (on a small metal plate with the keys) to place a new order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 2844694)
...So, you can visit any authorised dealer to get the key changed.

For Maruti, dealers can NOT make a new key. It has to be ordered from the factory & programmed by the dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 2844694)
......but they could ask you to provide a letter on non-judicial stamp paper declaring that you wish to change the locks on the pretext that you have lost the original key and you are the rightful owner of the vehicle.

One needs to provide the copy of RC book, NO other documents required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 2844712)

I am NOT sure they can do a reverse tracking. But then I am sure the dealer will request for RC book details before venturing to help out a guy like that.

In an unethical manner, it may happen if the person has access to the systems and if a back tracking is possible!

Edit
:: For Maruti, keys can be ordered ONLY in pairs. Also for Swift, the keys + programming can set one back by a cool 3K!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3044534)
For Maruti, dealers can NOT make a new key. It has to be ordered from the factory & programmed by the dealer.

What I mean was that dealer (including Maruti) usually have blank keys in stock which are then programmed to individual vehicles. I have personally had this experience when we went to replace keys of cousin's SX4 in Mumbai.

They had keys in stock and simply programmed new blank to vehicle's system and the whole process took less than an hour and we were back with new set of keys. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3044534)
One needs to provide the copy of RC book, NO other documents required.

Extra documentation is simply a dealer's safety and not mandatory by any manufacturer or service provider. That is why I used 'may'in my earlier statement. It is better to be safe and confirm with individual dealers in your locality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 3044547)
What I mean was that dealer (including Maruti) usually have blank keys in stock which are then programmed to individual vehicles. I have personally had this experience when we went to replace keys of cousin's SX4 in Mumbai.

They had keys in stock and simply programmed new blank to vehicle's system and the whole process took less than an hour and we were back with new set of keys. :)..

Oh. Didn't know about this. So ONLY the programming part is the difference between the keys? Didn't you guys have to tell the 4 digit code of your key too?