Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 20:41   #1
BHPian

BMW 3 series, Ice aftercare, accessories, etc

Hi all,
I have finally decided to go for the 320D highline.
I am getting the 5year/60k BSI ultimate for about 2lakhs.
Was wanting to get a few things cleared though:
1. Can i change the run flat's to normal tubeless before I take the delivery of the car and if so then what tubeless would you guys suggest for better ride.
2. Can i also have the alloy's changed and if so then where can i get better for my 320D?
(Do i get a refund for the above changes?)
3. I have been told the bluetooth is for about 30k, any other accessory I can go for?
4. Any idea on cost of redoing the interior leather trim and whether it void's warranty or anything?
thanks all
Old 1st December 2008, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

The runflats if changed to tubeless WILL void warranty UNFORTUNATELY....that being the major reason why I did not buy the 320d & got the A4 instead.

Alloys changing will also not be in line with the (weird) warranty policy !

Cheers
Old 1st December 2008, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Wow thats weird,
What warranty will be void?
I have heard that some 5 owners have changed to tubeless and have even changed the alloys.
More clarity on this please before I ask the dealers themselves and get some dumb answer
Thanks all
Old 1st December 2008, 21:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

As far as i have heard , you can change to other alloys from the dealer itself.

Not too sure about it.
Congrats on your new purchase none the less.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:42   #5
BHPian

Hi Abhinav,
Thanks for that bit of info
Haven't bought the car yet.Will be calling the dealer to get more clarity on the above.
Now let's hope I get my choice of color.
In mean time if anyone has any info from where i can procure extra stuff form my car like rims,etc it will be great.
Cheers
Old 1st December 2008, 21:55   #6
BHPian

hi morphin1 the BMW offers fantastic waranty on the car. by chaning your runflats to tubeless will void that warranty which they even give on a wiper blade! so think about it. i have driven a 325i lot of times i think one should not change those run flats only be careful on the bumps as once your alloy wheel gets e dent it cost sumthing like 45000/= per rim frm BMW! so think abt it.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The runflats if changed to tubeless WILL void warranty UNFORTUNATELY....that being the major reason why I did not buy the 320d & got the A4 instead.
Says who sir??

Changing to tubeless does not void warranty, the service center themselves have been telling me to change to tubeless to reduce my headaches. But i'm waiting for mine to wear out.
If you got the A4 just because of this, i feel sorry

Morphin- Negociate with the dealer on the runflats buyback now itself,because they have no demand outside the resale is terrible.
You will not get a refund for the rims, you could sell those to a tyre shop for a better value than the dealer.
Do checkout this forums.e60.net you find several mods that have been done on the 5 series and probably you can use some of these parts on your 3 too.Several members on their deal in accessories so they will be happy to ship you alloys or whatever you like.
I'd recommend you stay away from ripping off the leather and doin interior changes.
Btw, can you check if the bluetooth really is for 30k?? I was told it is for 60k for the 5 series, since the idrive software etc is the same there is no reason why it should cost half for the 3 series,i'm sure it is the same part.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:06   #8
BHPian

Ummm thanks a lot Sahil.
Will find that out for you tomorrow.
Old 2nd December 2008, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Says who sir??

Changing to tubeless does not void warranty, the service center themselves have been telling me to change to tubeless to reduce my headaches. But i'm waiting for mine to wear out.
If you got the A4 just because of this, i feel sorry

Morphin- Negociate with the dealer on the runflats buyback now itself,because they have no demand outside the resale is terrible.
You will not get a refund for the rims, you could sell those to a tyre shop for a better value than the dealer.
Do checkout this forums.e60.net you find several mods that have been done on the 5 series and probably you can use some of these parts on your 3 too.Several members on their deal in accessories so they will be happy to ship you alloys or whatever you like.
I'd recommend you stay away from ripping off the leather and doin interior changes.
Btw, can you check if the bluetooth really is for 30k?? I was told it is for 60k for the 5 series, since the idrive software etc is the same there is no reason why it should cost half for the 3 series,i'm sure it is the same part.

@ Sahil

I think you are plain lucky or your dealer is overly considerate. As in Delhi / Gurgaon, they absolutely insist on running run-flats or change to tubeless (at one's own risk, read void warranty) I had also checked with them if they'd put on fresh tubeless tyres at their own workshop & buy back the runflats...the answer was NOT POSSIBLE.

I had gone with another friend looking at the 320d, and we checked again on the rims & tyres change & got the same answer - warranty will be void !! Personally I do not like the rims that come on the 320, I'd much rather have better looking rims, but they are not even willing to give you a choice on the rims. What is on the car is what you get.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 2nd December 2008 at 09:46.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ricky: The dealer has no say in voiding warranty, that is a company policy and decided by BMW. Dealers most often aren't clear on most things. In this case it's simple logic, once the tires wear out what happens? BMW cannot compel customers to pay 20k a piece for a new set of run flats as that is not a even a part manufactured by them. If you have a problem with the run flats they would say go contact Dunlop, so if they can't take responsibility for it how can they void warranty on this basis? In simple words, treat it like an accessory.
Old 2nd December 2008, 11:35   #11
BHPian

BMW do a great range of colour combinations as part of their Individual selection. I don't think it is available in India for the 3 & 5 Series, but if you offer the right amount of money, they might do it? Link to BMW Individual site; where you can download brochures as well:
BMW M GmbH : BMW Individual
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:23   #12
BHPian

hi Morphin,
whats the 320HL offer that you are getting ? If it is confidential, then PM me please :-). I am on verge of finalizing mine as well.

Also, Bluetooth quote given to me is 66K, are you sure you are getting at 30K?
Old 2nd December 2008, 12:44   #13
BHPian

I paid around 42K for the bluetooth kit for my 530d about 3 months ago.

Now for my 320d, they are quoting around 50K, I don't understand why such a huge difference.....btw the bluetooth kits are common for the 3 and 5 series.
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@Ricky: The dealer has no say in voiding warranty, that is a company policy and decided by BMW. Dealers most often aren't clear on most things. In this case it's simple logic, once the tires wear out what happens? BMW cannot compel customers to pay 20k a piece for a new set of run flats as that is not a even a part manufactured by them. If you have a problem with the run flats they would say go contact Dunlop, so if they can't take responsibility for it how can they void warranty on this basis? In simple words, treat it like an accessory.

Sahil

I totally understand what you are saying. I agree with what you are saying. I am simply telling what the dealers here are saying.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:11   #15
BHPian

Ok spoke to the dealer today.
The bluetooth is for about 30k.
Now there are limited colors available for the cars i will write them below:
1. 325i Black Ext/ Terra Int
2. 325i Silver Ext/ Black Int
3. 320dH White Ext/terra Int
4. 320DH Silver Ext/Beige Int
I am not looking for silver beige combo as beige wears out real quick and becomes dirty.
I am leaning towards black or terra interiors but is white Ext going to be a problem maintenance wise?
What color combo would you guys go for?
Also changing to tubeless does not void warranty. I was also told by the dealer that If I buy from Gurgoan I can have it serviced at Bird Mathura as services are offered by BMW and not individual dealers. This is awesome. He said BSI ultimate etc are BMW centralized services/feature and that dealers won't be a limitation.
Cheers and waiting for all your timeless inputs .

Last edited by morphin1 : 2nd December 2008 at 16:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks