Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 21:38   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Because the catcon is built into the exhaust manifold. You'll have to make a whole new set.
A free flow idealy should not have any restrictions in the entire system from headers to end-can, no cat-con no nothing. So with your statement we can redesign a header for the Civic.
But with what v1p3r quoted that we cant put headers on the Civic 1.8, i too wanted to know why is it so.

@v1p3r-Please enlighten us.

Thanks vid. Sad that the headers cant be redesigned for better performance, but then how do you make turbo headers for this engine, if the engine is TCed?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2009 at 20:44.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:20   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Thanks vid. Sad that the headers cant be redesigned for better performance, but then how do you make turbo headers for this engine, if the engine is TCed?
My guess is that the Cat-con is removed first and then replaced with a down tube from the single exhaust port from the block, and that down tube has the provision for turbo.

More details can be found here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rbo-build.html

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th February 2009 at 22:21.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

*blink* *blink*

After viddy's post I'm confuzelled.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:03   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
*blink* *blink*

After viddy's post I'm confuzelled.
Oops, sorry about that. I'm not that good technically, just learning.

What's the confusion?

The thing is that the R18 has no headers as such. They are part of the engine block. Headers or exhaust manifold meaning the 4 ports coming out from each cyliner. The block just has a single exhaust port like below:
Civic with K&N Typhoon Kit. EDIT : Now TURBO-Charged-r18a.jpg

So that single port you see has the cat con connected to it. For a turbo you remove the cat con and replace it with a down tube. That down tube will then have the provision for the turbo.

psic source is googling.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th February 2009 at 23:05.
Old 14th February 2009, 23:32   #110
BHPian

When i checked out the exhaust manifold of a Indica V2 Turbo, it was a log type design quite similar to the above whereas i was expecting something like the pic.
But it was just a simple log type design, which is similar to the pic of the block shown by vid, in other words for the Indica the header design was such that it could be in-built into the engine block thus if the Civic was TCed the headers can be left out and just a doen pipe would suffice.

But for a NA car, low-end torque cant be improved through header design unless maybe the down-pipe is made in such a way as to act as an expansion chamber of sorts.

PS: How do you type text after the Image???
Attached Thumbnails
Civic with K&N Typhoon Kit. EDIT : Now TURBO-Charged-0031_c.jpg  

Last edited by abhik : 14th February 2009 at 23:40.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:00   #111
Team-BHP Support

A small correction which may have lead to the confusion. When I said headers are part of the engine block I meant they are integrated to the engine head. Block would be different.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:28   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
A small correction which may have lead to the confusion. When I said headers are part of the engine block I meant they are integrated to the engine head. Block would be different.
That was evident from the pic of the R18 head that you put up. But i still managed to write "block" in my post....as i said earlier.

Last edited by abhik : 15th February 2009 at 00:29.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:51   #113
BHPian

Dude I must tell that its turned out to be a mean machine.Nice Modifications.Please tell me for how much did you get the front grill Carbon Fibered for.Is it a Vinyl.Please help me I want the same kind of grill.Thanx.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:18   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the explanation and pics viddy. That cleared up everything for me

P.S : Naked engine pics. Yummay
Old 11th March 2009, 17:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see you enjoying your remap.
But, there is something about rev-limits that I dont think anyone's posted here.
There is a reason for having rev-limiters in all FI cars from the factory.
I can see that your revving around 800 rpm higher than redline. What this would result in the not-so-long term is your engine blowing up and needing a rebuild.
Over a certain rpm ,engine wear increases exponentially which is why NA race engines don't last long.
So, if you want to conserve your R18, don't rev beyond redline unless you really really want/need to.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Nice to see you enjoying your remap.
But, there is something about rev-limits that I dont think anyone's posted here.
There is a reason for having rev-limiters in all FI cars from the factory.
I can see that your revving around 800 rpm higher than redline. What this would result in the not-so-long term is your engine blowing up and needing a rebuild.
Over a certain rpm ,engine wear increases exponentially which is why NA race engines don't last long.
So, if you want to conserve your R18, don't rev beyond redline unless you really really want/need to.
Thanks For the advice nitrous, Its not that I Rev it to 7800 RPM Everyday, As a matter of fact, like Ishaan has Posted in his review, The power drops steeply after 7500 RPM so its useless anyways to rev beyond that, And I get so much power in the Lower and Mid Band I really dont feel the need of revving it so much, Whosoever has driven my car has always ended up enjoying the power band of 2000 to 6000 RPM. But anyways thanks for the tip once again.
Old 11th March 2009, 20:40   #117
Senior - BHPian

Yep.Infact when i drove his remapped civic he kept saying that i was short shifting.But i really loved the way it behaved.by slightly short shifting i was bang in the mid of a great torque band in the next gear and the acceleration was Amazing to say the least in every gear.

By the way manan how's the car going.Any more additions.What about the Weapon R Header.And the End can?

Oh yes,Nice Avatar!!

Last edited by navpreet318 : 11th March 2009 at 20:41.
Old 11th March 2009, 20:55   #118
Senior - BHPian

I must file a patent for mine :P

m4, do you physically feel the VTEC activation? When I rev my car, I feel a surge from around 3000-3500RPM. Am I imagining things?

Also, re: rev limiter, the rule of thumb is to keep your piston speed below 25m/s or 5000fpm. Beyond that, friction will cause catastrophic failure very quickly. Of course, there are quite a lot of factors involved, like the weight of the internals (g forces), rod/stroke, etc etc.

For the R18A's 3.44in stroke (provided Honda didn't change the internals for India), that's 4472FPM at 7800RPM. That's well inside the 5000FPM limit. But it is still on the higher side. The R18A along with the K20A are technological tour de forces though. I imagine you should have no problems.

Source : EvolutionM.net articles, K20A.org

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 11th March 2009 at 21:13.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Yep.Infact when i drove his remapped civic he kept saying that i was short shifting.But i really loved the way it behaved.by slightly short shifting i was bang in the mid of a great torque band in the next gear and the acceleration was Amazing to say the least in every gear.

By the way manan how's the car going.Any more additions.What about the Weapon R Header.And the End can?

Oh yes,Nice Avatar!!
Thanks, No More Additions yet, The Weapon R header, I am hearing from certain people and reading online on different forums that the Thing Cracks up very easily, The header and the down pipe, I put my decision on hold for this, Getting that header will cost not less than 20 30k here in India and if it cracks I am gone.

Quote:
I must file a patent for mine :P

m4, do you physically feel the VTEC activation? When I rev my car, I feel a surge from around 3000-3500RPM. Am I imagining things?

Also, re: rev limiter, the rule of thumb is to keep your piston speed below 25m/s or 5000fpm. Beyond that, friction will cause catastrophic failure very quickly. Of course, there are quite a lot of factors involved, like the weight of the internals (g forces), rod/stroke, etc etc.

For the R18A's 3.44in stroke (provided Honda didn't change the internals for India), that's 4472FPM at 7800RPM. That's well inside the 5000FPM limit. But it is still on the higher side. The R18A along with the K20A are technological tour de forces though. I imagine you should have no problems.

Source : EvolutionM.net articles, K20A.org
Frankly Sometimes i Do sometimes I dont, I think the i-VTEC plays its role here, There is no set activation limit of the VTEC right?? It depends upon the throttle position, The ECU may not engage VTEC at all if the set parameters(Throttle position, Acceleration) are not met. Usually that surge is in between 3000 to 4000 RPM only as correctly mentioned by you.

Thanks for the info on the piston speed.
Old 12th March 2009, 10:00   #120
Senior - BHPian

Yep, no set activation RPM. But, VTEC activation is inverted on the R18A. The mileage cams come online only if the car's parameters meet a certain criteria, some of which you mentioned. Instead of being on the sedate cams all the time and activating wild cams at an RPM, the engine is on the performance cams by default and activates the mileage cams only if you are driving sedately.

Temple of VTEC Asia has some superb articles on our engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks