Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 20:48   #16
Team-BHP Support

Before any of you start playing with cams, do read the stock cams:
Attached Thumbnails
Palio Stile 1.6 Engine Mods-valve_timing.jpg  

Old 10th December 2008, 20:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@moralfibre: I have seen that pic before. However, to be honest couldn't make head or tail out of it.

What does this mean and what does your post warn about?

Cheers,
Old 10th December 2008, 23:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
I feel palio engines are best left alone, if anything goes wrong, be ready for a large bill and looong days at the garage. Max u need is a FFe and intake
Would appreciate it if you could provide some technical assistance or details rather than just a general opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
The head was shaved ported and polished on my S10. I ran close to 10k on the same without any issues. The power diff was amazing if you ask me.

Will try out the RD ecu first thing after I am back in india
Please share who did the shaving / porting / polishing. Any tech details about this work such as the amount shaved, etc. Also, what was the cost?

I have spoke to RD about an ECU, and it seems to involve cutting the wiring harness, which really scares me. Unfortunately RD does not offer an ECU that plugs in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I remember the JBL demo Palio being a hoot to drive inspite of all that heavy ICE at the back. I think it had oversize pistons plus some work on that engine too. Maybe you should contact Sam for further details. That by far, is the fastest GTX I have driven in my life.
Who is Sam? Do you have a contact number? Any specific details on the oversize pistons like part numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Yup, that's the way to go for your sleeper. However I'm not too sure about the budget. From the quotes I got from some pro tuners, a professional porting and polishing job alone will set you back by 25-30,000 bucks, add an RD ecu and you've almost exhausted your budget.

From what little I know, the list you have mentioned will need at least 80,000-100,000 bucks if done professionally, maybe more.
25k-30k for port polish is robbery. It should not cost more than 10k. Keep in mind that no parts are needed for porting&polishing. Anyone else agree with this? Please, anyone that has got their engine ported & polished, post what you paid for this service.
Old 10th December 2008, 23:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Who is Sam? Do you have a contact number? Any specific details on the oversize pistons like part numbers?
Sam is our Lord Yeti. Sam Kapasi
Old 11th December 2008, 00:14   #20
BHPian

Red can you provide details of the exhaust job you did?

btw i had asked karthik about the RD ecu.said theirs could be fitted in the palio 1.6 though it was a tough job getting wiring into the original wiring harness on the palio .after that i was a bit scared to proceed.costs around 27k

Last edited by carfreak : 11th December 2008 at 00:18.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:21   #21
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Nope!

I think Moralfibre is refering to Turbosam.

Red - You may want to PM him?
Old 11th December 2008, 00:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Does your Lord Yeti have a phone number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Red can you provide details of the exhaust job you did?

btw i had asked karthik about the RD ecu.said theirs could be fitted in the palio 1.6 though it was a tough job getting the wiring done right.after that i was a bit scared to proceed.costs around 27k
From the headers to the mid pipe resonator is Automech. The muffler is a custom made stainless steel unit that is very free flow. So the overall sound is louder than an Automech. BTW, the headers were reworked by Automech to provide oval ports that closely match the engine exhaust ports.

The sound is really nice. Kind of rumbles during normal use and really screams when you nail the throttle.

Yeah, the cutting of the wiring harness really prevented me from going with an RD ECU. If they had a plug and play ECU upgrade, I would give it a try.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:50   #23
BHPian

where did you get the installation done?i have heard only experienced mechanics should do the job due to them being close to the firewall.plus who made the custom stainless steel muffler?

i dont want any sound at low revvs!!currently my car is full stock but even now,whenever i am bit down and low,all i do is revv the engine and the raspy exhaust note rejuvenates me!!

Last edited by carfreak : 11th December 2008 at 00:51.
Old 11th December 2008, 06:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Please share who did the shaving / porting / polishing. Any tech details about this work such as the amount shaved, etc. Also, what was the cost?
The whole head job (porting polishing and shaving) was done at Elektra chennai and so are the headers freeflows and the end can..

I remember Krupi telling me that the shaving is some 'x' thou's which is lesser than the usual but I really dont remember how much. You can contact elektra or Krupi in particular to get the exact details. I can PM you his number if you want. but I am sure you can find it all over the forum.

And sorry, I dont remember the cost. But that explains that its not too much.
Old 11th December 2008, 06:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Did you find the stock suspension & brakes sufficient to handle the extra power?
The suspension was never a problem except on the track I really felt it would have been better. but I did try to get some lowering springs. Never succeeded though!

About the OE brakes!! thats the worst part of the car.. Before the engine mods I used to rely a little on the engine/gear braking whatever you call it. after the mods, when you down the gear and lift the clutch all what I see is the rpm shooting up high.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@moralfibre: I have seen that pic before. However, to be honest couldn't make head or tail out of it.
What does this mean and what does your post warn about?
Cheers,
No warnings buddy. It was just an informative post. Sorry I made it sound like a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Nope!
I think Moralfibre is refering to Turbosam.
Red - You may want to PM him?
I never referred him here. Mclaren was referring to Sam Kapasi's Palio mods that return 4 kmpl(?) as well.

I have added some info on the brake upgrade here - Brake upgrade.

Someone also recommended using a balance rod from the Siena to the Palio. I am not sure about this but I'll research further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th December 2008 at 08:16.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. 25k-30k for port polish is robbery. It should not cost more than 10k. Keep in mind that no parts are needed for porting&polishing. Anyone else agree with this? ...
. 25-30K is DAYLIGHT robbery. ~10K ish or so is reasonable.

Ok, so if i want a FFE but with NO sound at all, can i use the existing mid-pipes/end can and just do the following:
  • Get the Headers
  • Remove the cat-con
Is my assumption correct?

Cheers,
Old 11th December 2008, 13:56   #28
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

I never referred him here. Mclaren was referring to Sam Kapasi's Palio mods that return 4 kmpl(?) as well.

Sorry about that! Since Turbosam was into engine mods I thought he was being refered. My apologies!
Old 12th December 2008, 08:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so if i want a FFE but with NO sound at all, can i use the existing mid-pipes/end can and just do the following:
  • Get the Headers
  • Remove the cat-con
When I was geting my exhaust installed I had to wait for about two weeks for the end can to arrive (some fabrication issue)and I was running on the stock ones. At the end of it I think I had almost destroyed the end cans. I am almost sure that they cannot stand the pressure unless you gut it out which again will be loud and pointless.

Krupi was working on another muffler which was tuned for the free flows and was very silent compared to the ones I have now. He said it will cut some amount of power and I was in a mood to be LOUD!

Last edited by 16v100bhp : 12th December 2008 at 08:23.
Old 13th December 2008, 12:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
. 25-30K is DAYLIGHT robbery. ~10K ish or so is reasonable.

• Get the Headers
  • Remove the cat-con

Cheers,
Shahnawaz,
FFE and NO sound do not go together.
A no sound system is what the factory gives you. Any modification to this will increase sound.
I'd suggest that you replace one component at a time and see how you like it. Start with the muffler and work your way up. Drop the cat and replace with straight pipe next. If you are still o.k. with the noise, drop in a set of headers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks