Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 01:54   #31
BHPian

Awesome project Nikhil. I have something similar in mind as well, but that will happen when I have enough cash to spare.

I'd suggest you check the torsional rigidity of the chassis, you'll need a lot of reinforcement for a good figure of 2000-2500 NM/deg( PM me if you need help on methods to measure TR). What is the target track width(front and rear) and the wheelbase and what software are using to design the suspension.

Last edited by harsh87 : 25th February 2009 at 01:56.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:04   #32
BHPian

Great stuff, defintely would like to see the progress!
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
Awesome project Nikhil. I have something similar in mind as well, but that will happen when I have enough cash to spare.

I'd suggest you check the torsional rigidity of the chassis, you'll need a lot of reinforcement for a good figure of 2000-2500 NM/deg( PM me if you need help on methods to measure TR). What is the target track width(front and rear) and the wheelbase and what software are using to design the suspension.

First of all thank you Harsh.

The chassis is not complete yet. As i posted earlier, the roll bar is not yet made, which will be connected to the engine bay and to the sides of the seats. will post the pics once it is done.

And about the suspension, i have hit a dead stop!

I had bought Zen's Drive shafts for the engine, as they were a perfect match. but now the problem is that, because they are not very long, the length of the 'A' arms or wishbones becomes very small. I tried using a swifts drive shaft, but there is a very small difference.

So my question is, can i increase the length of the drive shafts by cutting them and adding another pipe in between?
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:40   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome stuff! Really awesome. I wish I had the brains to do something half as impressive as this during my engineering!

PS: Somehow, I'm in love with your house. It's inexplicable, but when I saw the first few pics, I knew that it had to be in Kerala. Then I checked youyr location
Old 4th March 2009, 00:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice project, congratulations on getting the support and interest from your fellow team members.

You can get new driveshafts made by using EN-series steel bar stock. That's the expensive way. If you're on stock swift power, then you can use EN-series tube (if you can find it, otherwise try and use metal from another tubular driveshaft but do not use mild steel in any case) and TIG-weld it.

I made this diagram for you since I couldn't find some old pictures I was looking for:

My Dream, finally coming to life !-weld.jpg
Old 4th March 2009, 01:02   #36
BHPian

Thank you ananthkamath, though i don't think en series steel will be available here, will go and find out tomorrow.

Thanks once again for the help. I had already lost a lot of time finding the right method to do it.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:22   #37
BHPian

Good Luck with the your dream project. I will keep myself updated with this tread for sure. Pls make your dream come true..
Old 4th March 2009, 01:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

hey this is great. !! all the best with your project and keep updating this thread with developments.

rev
Old 4th March 2009, 09:23   #39
BHPian

Nice going Nikhil. I'll ask a contact of mine if he can help source EN steel.
How are you going to do the bodywork? Fibreglass?
Old 4th March 2009, 09:34   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilv12 View Post
Trusses will be added at a later stage, to the chassis for strengthening. There will also be a roll bar for protection.
I was just going to suggest that, when I noticed your comment. You'll need that to prevent excessive chassis flex which could undo welds.

Fantastic initiative and wishing you the very best and loads of fun
Old 4th March 2009, 10:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Nice going Nikhil. I'll ask a contact of mine if he can help source EN steel.
How are you going to do the bodywork? Fibreglass?
Thanks srijit. As far as the body is concerned, i wont be covring the while car. i might make some panels for the front to reduce drag. Ill get it done in fibreglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I was just going to suggest that, when I noticed your comment. You'll need that to prevent excessive chassis flex which could undo welds.
Yes, DKG, ive put up the roll bar and joined it to the engine bay and the rest of the frame. The chassis flex has reduced, but there is still room for improvement, so i am going to add trusses in the front section of the frame. That will help in balancing the engine weight also.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:20   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil am I correct in assuming you will use the engine with the front axle drive gearbox directly as opposed to getting a rear output gearbox for the engine and connect to a diff?

If the former you could perhaps install the front suspension at the rear and lock the hubs cancelling the steering movement? This way you have four wheel independent suspension

Would recommend getting the battery up front. Where is the fuel tank coming? Under the seat?

Last edited by DKG : 4th March 2009 at 11:24.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nikhil, Great idea nice start was wondering when i saw the 1st pick your frame box sections seem to thick unless it is an off roader. You mentioned sports car I think that frame is too thick even the picture of the semi complete rolling chassis you posted has thinner box section of the frame. This would save weight and you get something that moves faster. My friend turning shop was used to make the Mumbai caterhams and they too had smaller round pipes. And yes once you go smaller box sections you want more cross braces to make it strong and rigid enough. Just my two bits

fellow Nikhil
Old 4th March 2009, 13:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Looks very promising, cant wait to see the completed pic....

Quote:
Thank you muneem, With a rear engined car, there is a big problem of weight distribution, so i have made the chassis in such a way that the engine is as far as possible from the seats and the front end. 18 gauge square pipes are strong enough, and electric arc welding has been used on the chassis.

Trusses will be added at a later stage, to the chassis for strengthening. There will also be a roll bar for protection.

As for the suspension, i am going to use double wishbone suspension setup, and the wishbones have to be fabricated. I have not yet decided on which damper and spring setup to use as yet. any suggestions?

I do not have a complete sketch. i have a cad model of the chassis and the engine layout. Here is a picture of a similar car.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Hey nikhilv12,

Great project man!! Glad to see that youre getting the chance to do this (that too under the guise of a college project ), and have the support, space and some facilities too.

Initially when i saw your pictures i thought :
1) Damn thats heavy
2) No triangulation whatsoever!!

But after reading the thread i see that its only 48kgs, and you will be adding trussing / rollbar+support for the rear etc. So i think you have things under control!

If youre actually planning to use this on the track, make sure you leave nothing to chance or guesstimation. Think about safety and dont hesitate to overengineer a little.

Quote:
.....Here is a picture of a similar car.
Super!!! Thanks a ton for that picture. Could you please post a link of where you got it from?

Also, here is another thread which only discusses a similar project : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-cruiser.html

I will crosslink your thread in that one.

Keep us updated, and keep taking and posting pictures.

Goodluck,
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks