Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 19:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, FFE (in this context) does mean no cat con, right?

No one is attacking anyone; amitk26 said " I don't want to be preachy but just think once about it and you may reconsider your decision" that's all. Which means Mr.PaulBarber should think about it, maybe once. That's all. And i see it to be a perfectly valid request because we all share the same air. It's another thing if the request was considered or not.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi PaulBarber,

As SpeedZak mentioned you can contact Jerish666. He should know a mechanic who has experience fixing a FFE. If you know the If you know the Hyundai guys well, they might do the job for you. some dealerships have a policy of not modifying cars but it might not hurt to give a try UNLESS you are still covered by a warranty deal.

Generally any good mechanic can get it done for you. Just ensure that you watch what is being done -
- ensure that you've got all the required gaskets. Using a new gasket on the exhaust manifold might be a good idea. Old ones have a tendency to tear when they remove it.
- inspect all the connections and verify that there are no leaks. A leak will change the power characteristics of your FFE.
- Ensure that all the stuff is bolted on properly.

- amit26
A recent article in Autocar India about greenhouse emissions puts out a few interesting statistics. It mentions that Transport (trains, buses, trucks.. the whole gamut) accounts for only 10% of the greenhouse gas emissions...I think the entire issue of emissions from cars has been taken out of context...just like beating up the guy who can't fight back. There are more serious polluters out there...and yes..I did previously use an FFE after verifying that my emissions were under control with an FFE.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:46   #18
BHPian

WOW...in a short time this thread has blossomed nicely, though in an extremely off-topic way

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Hi PaulBarber,

As SpeedZak mentioned you can contact Jerish666. He should know a mechanic who has experience fixing a FFE. If you know the If you know the Hyundai guys well, they might do the job for you. some dealerships have a policy of not modifying cars but it might not hurt to give a try UNLESS you are still covered by a warranty deal.

Generally any good mechanic can get it done for you. Just ensure that you watch what is being done -
- ensure that you've got all the required gaskets. Using a new gasket on the exhaust manifold might be a good idea. Old ones have a tendency to tear when they remove it.
- inspect all the connections and verify that there are no leaks. A leak will change the power characteristics of your FFE.
- Ensure that all the stuff is bolted on properly.
Thanks Shibu, the most useful post among all. Thanks for the practical tips. I was looking for these kind of inputs. I got the contact details of a shop which does FFEs reliably, from Nikhil. I'll first check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
ASHVIN you understood it all wrong attack is not on Mr.Paul Barber but on those death merchents who misguide him that FFE fitting causes no pollution and passing PUC check is enough for thier own business interests, Now my post was generic the first part was about petrol car if you have read it carefully.
No offense taken buddy, post away!! Actually your posts got me thinking a little more deeply into this. The fact that I'll still go ahead with the FFE (maybe with a slight tinge of doubt/guilt..maybe) still remains

Debating of technical issues and the moral good/bad/ugly side of FFEs - I'll leave it to you experts
PaulBarber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2009, 21:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

There is a workshop opposite Swayamvara(?) Auditorium at Chakka. I forgot its name. The board says Mercedes Service Centre or so , the shop name IIRC is Man's Garage. I got it done there and Jerry took me there.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

- amit26
A recent article in Autocar India about greenhouse emissions puts out a few interesting statistics. It mentions that Transport (trains, buses, trucks.. the whole gamut) accounts for only 10% of the greenhouse gas emissions...I think the entire issue of emissions from cars has been taken out of context...just like beating up the guy who can't fight back. There are more serious polluters out there...and yes..I did previously use an FFE after verifying that my emissions were under control with an FFE.

Drive on,
Shibu.
It is very much on topic so no need of that angry smiley .. I hope you have read host of information on carcinogenics which was central point of discussion.
Greenhouse gases include CO2 and methane as well which can be generated by cattle but not carcinogenic.

In case some one does not know carcinogenic is something which induces cancer .
Greenhouse gases != carcinogenics
Old 25th February 2009, 21:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Death merchants. Wow, you really have your terms right from the eco-terrorist book.

How about the billion autos running two strokes? Public buses? Go bark up that tree first, thank you.

I love the environment. I live in God's Own Country (tm) for pete's sake. But I dislike extremists of all kinds. Including environmentalists. You stop calling everyone who disagrees with your philosophies murderers and maybe people will be more inclined to listen to you.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 25th February 2009 at 21:36.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

btw Paul considering that you find rest everything as off topic.
Your stated problem was low end torque, who exactly in his right mind told you that FFE will fix it ? Probably whoever adviced you is not the best guy to rely on

Here is a thread which exactly suits your requirement.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nd-torque.html
Old 25th February 2009, 21:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ASHVIN you understood it all wrong attack is not on Mr.Paul Barber but on those death merchents who misguide him that FFE fitting causes no pollution and passing PUC check is enough for thier own business interests, Now my post was generic the first part was about petrol car if you have read it carefully.
Death Merchants? You had a point in pollution and cat con but Now THIS is taking it a bit too far!! Every corner shop guy is a death merchant, they sell cigarettes. Why corner shop?, even any shop out there that sells cigarettes and liquor is a death merchant! Lol.. Well no manufacturer of these FFEs claim that it will keep the pollution levels same, i haven't seen any claims yet.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th February 2009 at 21:50.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Check amit's thread about FFE. His Alto's low end torque improved thanks to 3x1 FFE.
Old 25th February 2009, 22:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBarber View Post
I've heard that Automech doesnt do custom FFEs. I need an FFE with improvement in low-end torque, plus it should not be too nosiy. I'm getting the FFE done at Mumbai from Viper and getting it shipped to Tvm.

I just need a reliable mechanic who can fit it for me. I'll check out the Automechanics shop as suggested by Nikhil. Any other suggestions folks ?
i had exactly the same requirements that you have. very low sound and mainly low and mid end performance. believe me i have got perfectly what i wanted. i could never imagine that FFE would make such a drastic change in the way alto drives.

Automech do make custom exhausts. speak to them and i bet they will deliver what you want. earlier i was also under the impression that they dont do custom exhausts. but i spoke to them about my requirements and they did exactly what i wanted at a very reasonable cost.
Old 25th February 2009, 23:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

PaulBarber,

Glad to be of help.

Quote:
It is very much on topic so no need of that angry smiley .. I hope you have read host of information on carcinogenics which was central point of discussion.
Greenhouse gases include CO2 and methane as well which can be generated by cattle but not carcinogenic.

In case some one does not know carcinogenic is something which induces cancer .
Greenhouse gases != carcinogenics
Hey Amit,

That ain't an angry smiley. It just meant that I was off topic as the thread was primarily about PaulBarber asking about where to fit a FFE.

drive on,
Shibu
Old 25th February 2009, 23:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i had exactly the same requirements that you have. very low sound and mainly low and mid end performance. believe me i have got perfectly what i wanted. i could never imagine that FFE would make such a drastic change in the way alto drives.

Automech do make custom exhausts. speak to them and i bet they will deliver what you want. earlier i was also under the impression that they dont do custom exhausts. but i spoke to them about my requirements and they did exactly what i wanted at a very reasonable cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Check amit's thread about FFE. His Alto's low end torque improved thanks to 3x1 FFE.
Thanks Amit and jkdas.

Amit, I checked ur thread. Looks very impressive really. I'll check out Automech also. They seem to have contact persons in Kottayam and Kochi, but not in Trivandrum. But generally the reviews about them are mixed, with many negative reviews whereas for Viper, there's mostly positive reviews. Plus Viper very recently did an FFE for sanjay (for a Getz 1.3) and he's very satisfied about it. That's why I was tending to go with Viper.

Anyways I'll check out Automech also.
Old 26th February 2009, 08:54   #28
BHPian

I know the guy in Kottayam who deals in Automech, if you need a reference please let me know.
Old 26th February 2009, 09:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBarber View Post
Thanks Amit and jkdas.

Amit, I checked ur thread. Looks very impressive really. I'll check out Automech also. They seem to have contact persons in Kottayam and Kochi, but not in Trivandrum. But generally the reviews about them are mixed, with many negative reviews whereas for Viper, there's mostly positive reviews. Plus Viper very recently did an FFE for sanjay (for a Getz 1.3) and he's very satisfied about it. That's why I was tending to go with Viper.

Anyways I'll check out Automech also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I know the guy in Kottayam who deals in Automech, if you need a reference please let me know.
Tvm(Jerry): 9846523000
Cochn(Emperor): 0484-2343127/2535984 Anish
Old 20th March 2009, 11:25   #30
BHPian

@ paul barber

Did u got done your custom FFE.What was the gains after the custom FFE.

Please do a review on them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks