Old 20th March 2009, 12:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

and probably show up in one of our meets . We wouldnt mind a demo
Old 26th March 2009, 00:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
@ paul barber

Did u got done your custom FFE.What was the gains after the custom FFE.

Please do a review on them.
No Jithu, didnt get it done yet. Was too busy with work@office last couple of weeks so couldnt do much on this. Will surely keep u guys posted with pics and details once it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and probably show up in one of our meets . We wouldnt mind a demo
Sure..why not
Old 26th March 2009, 10:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

How much would one cost? Ar there various types? (sorry for my ignorance )
Old 26th March 2009, 10:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! Just read through this thread and it was interesting to note the conflicting opinions of auto enthusiasts and environmentalists.

If you ask me, it is a chicken and egg story. Sure removing the CAT is not a good idea but so is turning a blind eye to polluting public transports and industries functioning without valid permits. As the thread starter rightfully said, if we really get into it then we might as well start riding cycles and let the kid make some money [referring to the kid who wants to start a cycle repair shop in the ad, because of the petrol we are wasting]

We all have our selfish desires and it is inherent in us to be that way except for a few blessed souls who are able to put the bigger picture before them.

Anyway to clarify, i drive a Azure Grey Swift VXi with a Green Cotton "Wind" Air Filter and an Automech FFE with a Remus end can.

Sourced and Installed by Jerry at a workshop near Chakka Jn. on route to Technopark. [Forgot the name]

Installed the Remus first. Then after a few months got in the Wind. And now Automech!

So it's been all good and I love it! The response, the sound; Amazing!

And to the thread starter: Ultimately it's your choice and decision. If you are ok with it then go for it and enjoy the ride!

PS: Get better shoes for safety. And if you do have some cash, suspension and brakes should be on top of your list.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:23   #35
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd update you on what's happening.

I had ordered a complete bolt-on FFE for my Getz from viper. He sent it to me by courier....took a couple of weeks to arrive.
A BIG thanks to Jerry (jerish666) who introduced me to the mechanic (the garage was on the NH bypass near Chackai).

Ok, so on Friday morning I went to the garage with the FFE to get it fitted.

I faced a lot of trouble with the FFE.

1) There were no gaskets or bolts in the kit I received. Just the pipes were there. I was expecting that atleast the gaskets would be provided. Jerry took me to a spare parts shop in Karamana (Swaraj) where we got the gaskets and the bolts.

2) When I went back to the garage, I was in for a small shock. The pipes wouldnt fit properly. The bending of the pipes were incorrect; the joints between the pipes would'nt fit properly; a whole lot of bending, cutting and welding was required. The whole thing took atleast 4-5 hours. The mechanics told me they hadn't had to do this much welding for any FFE ever. I was thinking of calling up Jignesh, but then I thought - what's the point. He's in Mumbai, I'm in Trivandrum- no use complaining now.

3) After all the cutting and welding we managed to fit the darn thing, I was relieved I could go home now. We started the car, and I was in for shock # 2. Viper told me the car would be a little louder than stock. I repeatedly told him I wanted a very sedate exhaust note ; he said "dont worry, it'll be 5 to 10% louder than stock below 3000 RPM". Well...I'm sure somebody missed the percentage part, coz it was like 5 to 10 times louder than normal. There was NO way I could drive around in the car with that exhaust. I have seen and driven cars with FFEs, but MAN, this was WAY too loud. And it wasn't the kind of sexy deep sound you normally expect from an FFE. It sounded like a torn silencer. Imagine an old premier padmini with a 10X amplified exhaust note - that's more like it.

4) To top it all, there was a leak near the exhaust manifold (where the header is joined to the cylinder block). It was too late into the night, the mechanic said "bring it back, we'll fix it next time".

One more thing - I noticed the stock exhaust system had an "expansion chamber" or "mid-muffler" between the cat-con and the muffler. I'm not sure of it's function, but the mechanic told me it is important for sudden acceleration. Viper's exhaust just had a straight pipe instead of the expansion chamber - not sure why.

Anyways the very next chance I got ,I went back to the garage and asked them to put back the stock expansion chamber and muffler. Instead of the manifold, I retained Viper's header. So now it was custom header + stock expansion chamber + stock muffler.

This time, they were able to solve the exhaust leak also. It was a problem with the header. The top portion of the header was touching the cylinder head (or whatever it was), so it wasn't fiting properly. Again they did some filing and now the exhaust leak was also solved.

Started the car again. Phew..what a relief. Sound was back to almost stock. Power was also quite good. Not as powerful as when I had the torn silencer thing, but still it was suprisingly good.

I had plans to get in an air filter + some better end can. I was expecting that power wouldnt be so good. But just with the headers ( and with the stock air filter and muffler), driveability has increased very much. The car pulls nicely from low revs (which is what I wanted). It's also more free revving now. Overall I'm very happy with the way it's driving now. I'm actually quite surprised that just a header can make such a difference. If so, this mod should be done to every Getz. I didnt try a PUC check yet. I hope it'll pass.

Anyways that's the story till now. All's well that ends well. And I learnt quite a few lessons in the process

I read thorugh a lot of posts about FFEs, but never read about anyone having so much trouble with one. So either it's just me, or people are just keeping quiet. Dunno..anyways...thanks for reading.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

You remove the catcon or the middle expansion chamber to make the exhaust louder.

Why don't you experiment with the header + exp chamber + the end can. The sound should be there, but would be much less that how it is with the straight pipe.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
You remove the catcon or the middle expansion chamber to make the exhaust louder.

Why don't you experiment with the header + exp chamber + the end can. The sound should be there, but would be much less that how it is with the straight pipe.
Yup...that's the setup I currently have. I've removed the manifold + catcon and fitted the header instead. Exp chamber + end can are the stock ones. So now I'm quite happy with the setup; sound is almost same as stock.

Edit: Oh..u mean use exp chamber + the new FFE end can? Hmm...I dont feel like trying it out...after hearing how loud the exhaust was. Even with the exp chamber I think it'll still be quite loud.

Last edited by PaulBarber : 16th May 2009 at 14:35.
Old 16th May 2009, 14:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

very sad to hear the ordeal you passed through.
but why did you fit it when you saw that the whole FFE is in mess. you might have paid your hard earned money for the same.
you should have called viper and explained him the problems. i am sure he would have sent you a whole new set. also should have paid the courier charges.
the whole purpose of FFE is disturbed now. dont experiment yourself but cut pasting the headers and the stock parts. get the FFE set changed or ask for a refund.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
very sad to hear the ordeal you passed through.
but why did you fit it when you saw that the whole FFE is in mess. you might have paid your hard earned money for the same.
you should have called viper and explained him the problems. i am sure he would have sent you a whole new set. also should have paid the courier charges.
the whole purpose of FFE is disturbed now. dont experiment yourself but cut pasting the headers and the stock parts. get the FFE set changed or ask for a refund.
Yeah...if I knew at the first instance that so many problems were there, I would have done that. The mechanics told me that it can be fixed...just that some cutting and welding is required...I said ok. Only after fitting it, I came to know about the sound part. And at that point I kind of lost trust in Viper I guess.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBarber View Post
Yeah...if I knew at the first instance that so many problems were there, I would have done that. The mechanics told me that it can be fixed...just that some cutting and welding is required...I said ok. Only after fitting it, I came to know about the sound part. And at that point I kind of lost trust in Viper I guess.
when the mechanics told you that some cutting and welding is required there itself you should have dropped the plan of putting it.
still you can call up VIPER and ask him the next action plan. ask him to replace or refund.
the muffler will control the sound part. i guess there is a expansion chamber and a muffler with end can delivered to you and not just a straight pipe.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
when the mechanics told you that some cutting and welding is required there itself you should have dropped the plan of putting it.
still you can call up VIPER and ask him the next action plan. ask him to replace or refund.
the muffler will control the sound part. i guess there is a expansion chamber and a muffler with end can delivered to you and not just a straight pipe.
Yeah I guess I shud've done that. And no..there was no expansion chamber. Just the straight pipe and the muffler with end can.
Old 16th May 2009, 17:11   #42
BHPian

Sad to hear you went through so much hassle to fit a ffe tht was so called custom and should have been a straight fit.Well i just posted couple of hours in the zen modification thread abt the issue tht i had with my automech,i changed my complete set up twice,both the times i requested the muffler to be quiet and thats what i got...wait thats just for 3months,after that the muffler would open up so much with no noise cancelling whatsoever,the car would become unbearbly loud,so much so tht i had to keep volume of the ice way higher just to cut away the irritating loudness,i never got a solution to my problem,the first time i thought sheer bad luck and went in for a second set but again same issue finally i just dumped the muffler and have welded the stock one,trust driving late at night with tht sound can be real harassment to people sleeping...

I am yet to find somone who can make me a real performance gain exhaust using some method of calculation...

I have two sets of mufflers with bend pipes which is a straight fit to zen,and have no idea what to do with it...is there anybody who can refill the mufflers???i have too lost faith in automech...
Old 16th May 2009, 18:52   #43
BHPian

Update: I got a call from Viper just now.

- It seems he HAD sent me an FFE with the expansion chamber instead of the straight pipe. He's not sure how I got a straight pipe instead. Seems there was another FFE ordered for a different customer (also a Getz) which was supposed to have a loud exhaust note. It seems the orders might have got mixed up and I got the loud one.

- For the fitment issues he says probably he might have sent the parts for another car. Or maybe the mechanics who fitted the FFE didnt know how to fit it. Well....

He made me an offer :

- He'll send me a complete new set with the expansion chamber and everything. He'll fit and test it on his friend's Getz before sending it to me so that I shouldnt have any issues fixing it

- AFTER I receive and fit the FFE, I should send the old FFE to him by courier. He'll re-imburse me the courier charges

- He'll also re-imburse the charges for getting the FFE fitted/changed.

Fair enough. I really dont see anything more that he could offer me.

I am just hoping that this time the exhaust note will be quiet. Jignesh, if u're reading this, I dont even mind some loss in power, just please make the exhaust note as quiet as possible.
Old 16th May 2009, 19:55   #44
BHPian

You should have called him the moment the FFE didnt fit. But good to know that you will still be getting your quiet FFE.
Old 16th May 2009, 20:49   #45
Team-BHP Support

surprising that the headers didnt fit. but you shouldve called viper and not got your mechanic to do juggad and fit it. it was loud because of the leak and the straight pipe. with a mid muffler itll be much softer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks