Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 11:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu/GTO/ MuneemMK,

Thanks! I drove the gypsy yesterday for about 4 kms. Power is amazing and gearbox response is smooth. There are minute issues like propellar shafts to be throughed perfectly and adding one plate of spring blade each on front.

Mating of gearbox with T-Case is perfect. I should be taking the delivery of gypsy today evening.

Am ready for the next offroading jaunt. Where are we going Khan_sultan?

Dwarak
Old 15th April 2009, 18:32   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

More details please. Am sure you've driven a Gypsy King. How would this compare? How did you find the low end torque?

Quote:
There are minute issues like propellar shafts to be throughed perfectly
Sigh, always a problem balancing those nasty shafts. Good luck!
Old 15th April 2009, 19:04   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
J....

Thanks! I drove the gypsy yesterday for about 4 kms. Power is amazing and gearbox response is smooth. ....

Mating of gearbox with T-Case is perfect. I should be taking the delivery of gypsy today evening.

Dwarak
. Great news Dwarak. Let's hit some place this weekend somewhere in/near the city itself and take it through some MINOR exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
More details please. Am sure you've driven a Gypsy King. How would this compare? How did you find the low end torque?
Let me test this out this weekend and then I will give my observations. I am sure it will be great to drive.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Damn that was FAST! I took about 5 times as much to troubleshoot my Defender and bring it back to stock!!!!!!!!!!

Wish you all the best - I have a feeling this is going to start off a Gypsy riot out here!

Come to think of it, I have a spare 1.8 Carb engine and gearbox lying around too. All it needs is an old Gypsy
Old 15th April 2009, 19:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:

we have gone one step further and fitted a 1.8 isz in a CJ340, WITH A GYPSY 4WD, WHICH IS ALIVE AND ROCKING
Old 15th April 2009, 19:20   #51
Team-BHP Support

Too good, need a more detailed picture of the final product and work done (from a proper digi camera), along with the approximate cost of this transformation if possible please.

Ofcource a detailed report of ON and Off road performance also, though would suggest a controlled shake down before you take her out at full blast.
Old 15th April 2009, 19:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Come to think of it, I have a spare 1.8 Carb engine and gearbox lying around too. All it needs is an old Gypsy
There are plenty of gypsies lying this side of town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
we have gone one step further and fitted a 1.8 isz in a CJ340, WITH A GYPSY 4WD, WHICH IS ALIVE AND ROCKING
Great, would like some driving impressions ON road as well as OFF road from you Sir..
Old 15th April 2009, 20:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There are plenty of gypsies lying this side of town!
Even better. I just remembered that I have a spare Land Rover transfer case too - comes with its own centre difflock

Now am getting real ideas.
Old 15th April 2009, 22:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu/GTO/ MuneemMK,

Thanks! I drove the gypsy yesterday for about 4 kms. Power is amazing and gearbox response is smooth. There are minute issues like propellar shafts to be throughed perfectly and adding one plate of spring blade each on front.

Dwarak
Wow!! Dwarak Sir, Congratss on your successful mods. myself and vijay(swastik) were discussing that you would need few more months to go off the road . but never thought you will be ready so soon.

now its only the chassis, t-case and diffs that belong to gypsy.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:24   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Let me test this out this weekend and then I will give my observations. I am sure it will be great to drive.
Fab! Please include detailed pictures as well as a highly detailed driving impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
Huh? You managed to mate a Gypsy transfer case into the CJ? Wow. Is this Jeep there on the forum? How about pics & a report?
Old 16th April 2009, 12:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

dwaraka looks your engine swap is the only record on team bhp, with regards to the time taken. Congratulations on the swap !! Now how about some real time pictures of some mud-slinging ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 16th April 2009 at 12:47.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fab! Please include detailed pictures as well as a highly detailed driving impression.
Yes. All tests will be done this Sunday. Have already made plans.

Quote:
Huh? You managed to mate a Gypsy transfer case into the CJ? Wow. Is this Jeep there on the forum? ..
There is a Willys in Bangalore with Baleno engine, Gypsy Gearbox and race spec headers. It comes to OTR's (iceman's friend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
.. Now how about some real time pictures of some mud-slinging ?
Swalpa wait maadi saaarrr. They will be taken this Sunday.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Even better. I just remembered that I have a spare Land Rover transfer case too - comes with its own centre difflock

Now am getting real ideas.
A certain 41 42 43 runs for cover!!!

On a serious note, why not? we even have the holy grail of off roading right?? -Differential locks! It would make one hell of an off roader,but nothing close to a certain ' fully german 4X4' mind you!

Last edited by JayD : 16th April 2009 at 15:52.
Old 16th April 2009, 21:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for overwhelming response. As you all know, any modification will require some time to set in. I think I am in that situation. A bit of Propeller shaft throughing is required, which will be done on Monday after first offroading on Isuzuki.

Power of the engine is truly amazing. Can move the vehicle in 2nd gear and take the hump at slowest speed in 3rd gear. 4WD drive is working fine.

Engine needs to be tuned and timing checked.

As khan_sultan said, sunday is the testing for my gypsy. With fingers crossed.

Warm regards,
Dwarak

Quote:

GTO,

My first observation on riding was, I felt the engine is still new and raw power and sounds like ambassador/ contessa. I definitely would say I miss my gypsy engine, which is smooth performer. Same goes for Gypsy King engine. Too soft.

Kya kare? Kutch paane ke liye kutch Kona padtha hain.

Dwarak

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 22:36. Reason: Back to back post, multi quote
Old 17th April 2009, 10:16   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
4WD drive is working fine.
That is music to my ears, literally.

Quote:
I felt the engine is still new and raw power and sounds like ambassador/ contessa.
You'll get used to it. In the end, what counts is how she performs.

How about some detailed pictures (from a proper digicam please) of the install?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks