Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 16:40   #61
BHPian

Those seats are lovely, very tight fit yet comfortable. Very well made obviously. The foam was pretty good and excellent thigh support.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

question to Rd and all other mod gurus

how much difference did it make to start this project with the VTEC engine rather than a stock 1.5 ?

i have the latter and would like to know whether the stock 1.5 can be brought up to speed in the same manner despite lacking that famed VTEC head ?
Old 12th May 2009, 17:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

how much difference did it make to start this project with the VTEC engine rather than a stock 1.5 ?

i have the latter and would like to know whether the stock 1.5 can be brought up to speed in the same manner despite lacking that famed VTEC head ?
Well, you can get a racing cam. Something like a 300 profile one.
But, don't think about having it as a daily driver,then. You won't have any bottom end torque.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

For all out power it would be almost identical, provided the right parts are available.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

would cost factor be the same too karthik?
or would one be cheaper ??
Old 13th May 2009, 01:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
would cost factor be the same too karthik?
or would one be cheaper ??
The modification costs we reckon would remain fairly in the same region...however the running cost of a non VTEC would be more if driven daily without plucking the performance cam out.
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 09:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

why, won't both have cams changed? So vtec can be driven daily with the cam?
Old 13th May 2009, 11:02   #68

All I can say is WOW!!!! I'm mind blown and speechless. That is a fantastic job. Never seen anything like that so far. Hats off to you guys, great job

Quote:
why, won't both have cams changed? So vtec can be driven daily with the cam?
Well I'n not very sure but I think the VTec has two cams. When in lower RPMs there is one cam working, at higher RPMs the other higher powered cams replaces the lower ones. So when changing cams the lower stock cams remain the same but only the higher rpm cam is replaced. In the normal 1.5 there is only one cam. This makes the VTec a little cheaper for daily runs.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:13   #69
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque350 View Post
Well I'n not very sure but I think the VTec has two cams. When in lower RPMs there is one cam working, at higher RPMs the other higher powered cams replaces the lower ones. So when changing cams the lower stock cams remain the same but only the higher rpm cam is replaced. In the normal 1.5 there is only one cam. This makes the VTec a little cheaper for daily runs.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Vtec here is also a SOHC (single over head cam) only. It is just the cam profile that changes.

Like Amit said, I wonder why the running costs of the 1.5 would be higher. Wolf, what all conversions need to be made if one was to replace the 1.5's cam with a 300 deg + Vtec aftermarket cam? I am guessing one should begin with the ECU to handle the Vtec. Then...
Old 13th May 2009, 11:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Well if you include the cost of buying the car, i think the 1.5 would be a cheaper build.

Quote:
Well I'n not very sure but I think the VTec has two cams. When in lower RPMs there is one cam working, at higher RPMs the other higher powered cams replaces the lower ones.
VTEC has only 1 cam but 2 cam profiles (only for the intake valves). The benefit of moding a VTEC is that you can have a very aggressive profile for higher rpms without sacrificing low end driveability and FE.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 11:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The Vtec here is also a SOHC (single over head cam) only. It is just the cam profile that changes.

Like Amit said, I wonder why the running costs of the 1.5 would be higher. Wolf, what all conversions need to be made if one was to replace the 1.5's cam with a 300 deg + Vtec aftermarket cam? I am guessing one should begin with the ECU to handle the Vtec. Then...
Add to that the VTEC solenoid which controls the activation/deactivation of the VTEC lobe, and associated paraphernalia. But I still doubt if it can be done since the VTEC involves an extra center rocker arm which allows the valves to be opened by two different cam profiles. Instead, plonking a VTEC head on the 1.5 with ECU and harness to match would be a better call.

Compared to a VTEC head, a non-VTEC will only lose out of the daily usability and driveability aspect since there is only a single cam profile which will be in use at all times, whether you are negotiating peak traffic at 1000-2000rpm or WOT @8000. Assuming one has some 300+ profile non-VTEC cam, it will translate to a lopey idle and rough operation at lower revs where all that high-lift and duration isn't really needed. VTEC is like having two cams with different characterstics- one with less agressive characterstics for puttering around town and the other high, agressive profile for WOT performance. This combination of mild and wild makes up the VTEC magic.

However, as Karthik said- on an all out power-build with no compromises, the non-VTEC can be at par with VTEC- when driveability and daily usability isn't a criteria. In fact, the quickest single-cam Honda in the world is a non-VTEC.

Last edited by doomsday : 13th May 2009 at 11:41.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, as Karthik said- on an all out power-build with no compromises, the non-VTEC can be at par with VTEC- when driveability and daily usability isn't a criteria. In fact, the quickest single-cam Honda in the world is a non-VTEC.
Same goes for the Honda F1 engine. They never bothered using VTEC bcoz it wasn't really needed.

Shan2nu
Old 13th May 2009, 12:08   #73
BANNED

Rishi, I know how the Vtec works. But when you go for an aftermarket cam for eg a 300 deg+ on the secondary profile, how low can the primary cam profile be setup for? I am assuming that as the secondary profile gets more wilder and wilder, accordingly the primary profile would also see a change while the cam is being built? Or do cam manufac's keep the primary stock and just change the VTEC profile? Since I have no hands on experience ordering VTEC cams I am just curious to know.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

The primary also changes to an extent, hence my question.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:21   #75
BANNED

Quote:
The primary also changes to an extent, hence my question.
Exactly my point. But since I have never dealt with ordering cams or custom grinds for Honda's I am curious to know to what extent is the primary profile kept close or near to stock. Or what percentage of difference would the primary have (in terms of a wilder profile) as the secondary profile changes to race spec.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks