Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 08:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

He quoted me the price for a set of new ones. Anyways, waiting for Viper to return, he has told me that he'll give me a call on Thursday, so hopefully I'll have finalised something by then.
Old 9th June 2009, 09:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Isn't it difficult to determine vertical position of CG for the calculations?
you can measure cg height easily with a set of scales, or eyeball its position. but you wouldnt need that to tell you if the springs are too stiff or not, only for load transfer calculations which i expect no one here is interested in.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
you can measure cg height easily with a set of scales, or eyeball its position. but you wouldnt need that to tell you if the springs are too stiff or not, only for load transfer calculations which i expect no one here is interested in.
I agree.Load transfer and roll analysis out of those you mentioned. Scales and a small jack or hoist. How do you eyeball CG position?
Old 9th June 2009, 12:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Are you sure? Race compounds are generally very soft in nature. And those are JK 13"s.
Ya, they are 13" jk`s but they are not soft, its very very hard. I hve been to many track days in Kari and MMSC and these kind of tyres i usually seen on Saloon cars prepared for track races.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:32   #80
BHPian

I have used those tyres on my Vtec. I just wanted to reconfirm.

Like V1p3r said, those tyres are very SOFT. They are also known as "tarmac tyres" or "track tyres" or "cut slicks".

Both JK and MRF manufacture them. IMO the MRF tyres are heavier and softer than the JK ones. But both have amazing grip levels.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
Ya, they are 13" jk`s but they are not soft, its very very hard. I hve been to many track days in Kari and MMSC and these kind of tyres i usually seen on Saloon cars prepared for track races.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I have used those tyres on my Vtec. I just wanted to reconfirm.

Like V1p3r said, those tyres are very SOFT. They are also known as "tarmac tyres" or "track tyres" or "cut slicks".

Both JK and MRF manufacture them. IMO the MRF tyres are heavier and softer than the JK ones. But both have amazing grip levels.

Cheers
Shrey
Thanks Buddy! I was mistaken, but i remember someone told me that they are hard compounds.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

The hardness is relative. Hard track tyres are still softer than reguar compounds.
Old 10th June 2009, 02:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
He quoted me the price for a set of new ones. Anyways, waiting for Viper to return, he has told me that he'll give me a call on Thursday, so hopefully I'll have finalised something by then.
New ones will be between 2.5-4 lakhs landed, for a single set with 1 set of springs. To give you a rough estimate of price -- DMS 50 mm Adjustable Giant Coil Overs, , Subaru STi DMS 50 mm Adjustable Giant Coil Overs

Of course, these are marked up heavily. Also, I don't think DMS has ever made the casings for the OHC. Those were made locally, so if you're planning to get a set of new DMS for the OHC, I think you're pretty much SOL. Sorry. :(

You could just use D2s. There are a couple of tuned OHCs running them here, seem to be doing ok.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I agree.Load transfer and roll analysis out of those you mentioned. Scales and a small jack or hoist. How do you eyeball CG position?
From experience. A reasonable estimate is sufficient for ballpark calculations of weight transfer. Not that I would like to do it that way, but any data is better than no data.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
New ones will be between 2.5-4 lakhs landed, for a single set with 1 set of springs. To give you a rough estimate of price -- DMS 50 mm Adjustable Giant Coil Overs, , Subaru STi DMS 50 mm Adjustable Giant Coil Overs

Of course, these are marked up heavily. Also, I don't think DMS has ever made the casings for the OHC. Those were made locally, so if you're planning to get a set of new DMS for the OHC, I think you're pretty much SOL. Sorry. :(

You could just use D2s. There are a couple of tuned OHCs running them here, seem to be doing ok.
No no, that is beyond my budget. Any idea about D2 pricing?
Old 10th June 2009, 13:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_shanz View Post
They are Race Tyres! Very hard compound,=one have to modify the suspension to fix those rubbers. MRF and JK manufacture it in India.
Bro i think you might be referring to hard compound "Rally Tyres" from MRF and JK because they do look like them, these ones are used for stages with more loose dirt(sandy) and less gravel if i am not wrong and wont really do well on tarmac.
"Race Tyres" are usually synonymous with road/tarmac racing and would be soft compound.

Quote:
Streetability is affected for the simple reason that you have a bunch of tubes in the place where you need to get in and out of the car, and also in place of the back seat.
And i was wrecking my tiny brain on the technicalities when you said "streetability."
Look on the brighter side, you can skip gym and exercise all the time when you have to get in or out of your car.
"and also in place of the back seat" now why did you mention that separately?

But on a serious note, is that all that you meant with "streetability?"

Quote:
Also, you cannot do any serious structural analysis with CAD. You need FEA for that.
The googled that up and its way too technical for my understanding, commerce background so you see. Plus i dont think i can get someone to carry out such an analysis.

Quote:
I dont know what you want to calculate. Wheel rates? Ride frequencies? Load transfer distribution? Roll stiffness? What?

Have you tested the spring rate yet?
nope i havn't and frankly sont even know how to hence the question to you. We could probably start with discussing calculation for ride stiffness and spring ratings here and then move on as these are basics everyone would be interested in though roll, load etc are equally important too.
Old 10th June 2009, 17:01   #87
BHPian

No i reffered track tyres, I thought they are hard compounds, rally tyres have got thick studs but track tyres dont have that!
Old 10th June 2009, 17:56   #88
BHPian

The pattern ressembled so much like those Sand Grips from MRF and Dunlop that i was guessing they might be rally tyres instead of track ones. Sorry my bad! Its always the V-ish pattern which comes to mind when i think of track tyres.
Old 23rd June 2009, 00:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

OEM shocks were stiffened and Eibach pro-kit lowering springs were chosen. Getting the stiffened shocks tomorrow and the springs on Thursday. Will post observations once it's all done.
Old 23rd June 2009, 02:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
OEM shocks were stiffened and Eibach pro-kit lowering springs were chosen. Getting the stiffened shocks tomorrow and the springs on Thursday. Will post observations once it's all done.
Good choice Pranav. Do share the cost of stiffening the OE shocks. Also also tell us the exact method that was used to stiffen them, if you're aware of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks