Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
First U need to isolate the rpm signal from the ECU.
Nope. No need to even touch the ECU, wiring or harness. Just a return line from the alternator feed. Some tachos even have a cigarette lighter attachment- for temporary uses, but the live wire can be taken off the cigarette lighter too. A tacho is nothing but an advanced, caliberated voltmeter...of course, there are exceptions.

@Silverstreak81; If you want an O.E fitment, that is, an incorporated tacho in the speedo console like in the Vdi, you'll have to change the console, couplers, & a bit of wiring. Mind you, all of these mods do not cut or splice the O.E.M harness leading to the ECU; but the alteration is expensive. A guy did it in his Lxi, (petrol- more wiring hassles) and it cost him 8K+. But the advantage- he got his 16,000 km odo back to zero, as he had a new console.

If you don't want to spend as much, get an aftermarket tach. The entire setup will not cost you more than 3-4K. Tops. It would removable, and you would get a shiftlight as a bonus.
Old 4th September 2007, 07:25   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
A guy did it in his Lxi, (petrol- more wiring hassles) and it cost him 8K+. But the advantage- he got his 16,000 km odo back to zero, as he had a new console.
You can get your odo to read whatever you want for just 1200 bucks in case of digital odo and 200 incase of normal ones
Old 4th September 2007, 21:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Nope. No need to even touch the ECU, wiring or harness. Just a return line from the alternator feed. Some tachos even have a cigarette lighter attachment- for temporary uses, but the live wire can be taken off the cigarette lighter too. A tacho is nothing but an advanced, caliberated voltmeter...of course, there are exceptions.
Dont these work on pulses? I mean the alternator feed or the chrger slot would would be a continous signal right? I'm quite sure about the auto guage ones.
Once i had tried fixing it on my santro and it was not working from the battery/alternator return feeds. Then when i shorted it with one of the spark plug feeds it was reading but only half the actual rpm. Then i thought of a setup which shorts the spark plug feeds to the first and second cylinders and putting one way diodes so that the pulses for the 1st plug doesnt go into the 2nd and vise versa. But then i was not confident enough of the whole setup and just dropped the whole idea.
Old 5th September 2007, 22:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

tried to get a PRICOL rpm meter through an insider, and they said - NOT POSSIBLE !! It is only for export market it seems...Wonder if they make it or is it just a picture in their product portfolio?
Old 5th September 2007, 23:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp
Dont these work on pulses? I mean the alternator feed or the chrger slot would would be a continous signal right?
Actually, the battery line gives D.C voltage, & the alternator gives out A.C; and both are fluctuating. Rectifier cuts in late, before actuall supply to harness.

Tachos work off of two principles; either the alternator feed, or the electromagnetic field that is generated by the chord wire (plug wire), specifically for petrols. You must have noticed the tachos in Tata estates & Sierras going haywire or dead if the alternator conks out. Since diesels do not have plug wires, tachos run off the alternator feed.

There are SOME tachos that run off the cigarette lighter plug. Not from autometer or autogauge.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Veyron, where can i get more info on the tachos which run off cig lighters?? would like to fix one in my matiz.. will it work??
Old 6th September 2007, 14:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
tried to get a PRICOL rpm meter through an insider, and they said - NOT POSSIBLE !! It is only for export market it seems...Wonder if they make it or is it just a picture in their product portfolio?
Believe me, I have tried every possible way of getting my hands on a pricol tach. I tried for almost 6 months, called up almost all the listed dealers, pricol itself, and a million other places but to no avail.

NOTE TO ALL:
IMHO, PRICOL DOES NOT SELL AFTERMARKET TACHOS, AT LEAST NOT HERE

BUt then fortunately i got my hands on a 2.25" auto gauge tacho for 1300Rs, which i completely adore.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:03   #53

Thanks a lot veyron1, can u please let me where i can get tachometer and fix it, and i dont wanna spend 8k on the O.E cause i have jus taken the car out of the showroom. So i would opt for the aftermarket one.
Old 6th September 2007, 17:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

hi....i want to install a techo in my Indica V2 2001. Just curious as to how this would be fitted in diesel? any major alterations?
Old 7th September 2007, 01:37   #55
BHPian

hey i got a SARD standalone shift light any idea on how to fit it in a swift!!
Old 9th September 2007, 12:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

come on guys, any suggestions for a newbie in engines?
Old 10th September 2007, 18:16   #57
BHPian

wantd a 3 3/4 tacho with shift light..Got a qoute of 4.5 k for a autogauge 3/3/4 with shift light from Jc road and one with mini shift light for 4k....Is that a fair price???
Old 10th September 2007, 18:23   #58
BHPian

hey guys i was wondering wouldn't connecting a standalone shiftlight directly in parallel to the stock tacho make it work fine??
Old 11th September 2007, 01:53   #59
BHPian

@ lancer_maniac - the 4k one, is that the one with 7color backlight? if so, that sounds about right. it's either that or i paid too much for mine :P
Old 11th September 2007, 03:00   #60
BHPian

you can get the 3.5" autoguage tachometer with shift light for 2.5k from coimbatore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks