Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
I hope you are not joking.
C'mon guys you're not going to start fighting over this, are you? We're not trying to find out who's right or wrong here. We just need more bhp...

Quote:
Lets not start a technical discussion on exhaust theory now. I can go on and on and on if you want to debate, though...
I was hoping you would...its been quite informative so far.
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
Hummer H2 comes with a off road muffler bypass kit for its turbo diesel version which exactly implements what I have done.
Hummer H2 does not come with a diesel option
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hummer H2 does not come with a diesel option
Yup, I think the turbodiesels came only on the H1s...
Old 22nd September 2005, 22:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I was hoping you would...its been quite informative so far.
Well the basics for a diesel:

1) For a NA car: Maximize velocity upto muffler and then dump. Practically, this means you should use a pipe thats close to stock in size (maybe even smaller, thats what I've done on the Indica)...Run it all the way to the back and have a freeflow muffler there.
Headers may not work as efficiently as in a petrol because many diesels dont have valve overlap. Don't quote me on this though, headers are still a long way off for me as far as diesels are concerned.

2) For a turbo car:

Part 1:Maximize velocity upto turbo
Part 2: Dump.

Good News: The factory guys already did part 1 for you

Better News: They didnt do part 2 so its very easy to make your car stand out in terms of performance. Run a diffuser (or a plain large pipe that matches turbo exit if space is an issue) into the largest possible plenum you can fit under the car. Then, use the stock exhaust after that. See how the evil diesel starts flying after that!
Old 22nd September 2005, 23:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Does Safari have an intercooler.

@AK why not just get the turbo/intercooler setup from the Indigo for your car. More power and retain a quiet exhuast.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd September 2005 at 23:15.
Old 22nd September 2005, 23:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Safari have an intercooler.
It does, and its mounted by the side of the radiator so that it gets air straight from the grille.
Old 22nd September 2005, 23:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See how the evil diesel starts flying after that!
I'll take you up on this one, and Diesel Bob on his tuning box. Lets see if the Titanic can fly.

Philipkutty has already told us how no car manufacturer cant void your warranty for fitting a performance air filter - I think he has some legal backing to it, because he cut the Tata Motors service engineer to pieces on that point during the Dicor launch.
Old 23rd September 2005, 06:59   #38
BANNED

Diesel turbos benefit from two things, free flow, ideally with no muffler and cool air, the intercooler is used for that purpose only, to cool the highly charged air, however bear in mind, intercoolers are only needed on high boost engines, the diesels here use low boost so the intercooler is practically used to bring down emissions. One of the reasons the low boost OM616 turbo as well as 617 turbo was never fitted with a intercooler from MB factory. So, a straight pipe is the solution if noise levels can be kept at a tolerable level. It is a favorite mod at the Cummins forum as well as MB forum, many have done this mod with modified air box with great results, my personal results are nothing insignificant, far better top end, the turbo spools up was faster due to less restriction from the by-passing of the muffler, the EGT which is critical for turbo engines, especially a diesel, has dropped thereby increasing engine life and performance, engine operating temps have dropped from 85c-87c range to steady 80c. Best of all, I get 15kmpl on highway from the heavy non aerodynamic shaped body and 12 on city.

Steeroid, it is the military M1 Hummer, thanks for the correction, it comes with a off road package where a straight pipe from the header is put instead of the muffler, the same thing I have implemented on my Gurkha.
Old 23rd September 2005, 09:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@AK why not just get the turbo/intercooler setup from the Indigo for your car. More power and retain a quiet exhuast.

Err....cause its too expensive???
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err....cause its too expensive???
Sell your dolphin, buy the turbo...unless you're sentimentally attached to it.
Old 23rd September 2005, 11:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Sell your dolphin, buy the turbo...unless you're sentimentally attached to it.

I already have a turbo from a Toyota 1500 diesel (1N, I think) at my disposal. The shaft is seized solid...Anyone think its any good or should it be consigned to the dustbin immediately?
Old 23rd September 2005, 11:49   #42
BANNED

Quote:
I already have a turbo from a Toyota 1500 diesel (1N, I think) at my disposal. The shaft is seized solid...Anyone think its any good or should it be consigned to the dustbin immediately?

The shaft is seized because the previous owner used inferior motor oil causing it to coke up, he probably shut the engine down right away after long trips, you can easily re-service the shaft provided you know the make of the turbo, Warner Ishi parts are hard to find, but KKK and Holset is quite common.
Old 24th September 2005, 20:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Where can I get a rebuild kit for a turbo like that (I think its a Garrett), and how much would it cost?
Old 25th September 2005, 08:02   #44
BANNED

anantkamath,

I checked for Garret reps in India and can't seem to find any, they have Denso rebuild kits but looks like your engine didn't come with a Denso or Ishi which are the common turbo for Japanese engines.

Your best bet would be to scour the markets in Mumbai where they sell the imported diesel engines for taxis and Jeep, Delhi's Mayapuri also has one, it is common practice there to take the turbo out even if its fully functional.
Old 2nd March 2008, 15:54   #45

Diesel tuning

Hi Mate

Although late I suggest you give this a miss

These diesel tuning kits basically reset injection parameters & in some cases change the rail pressures the latter of which is certainly not safe.

These really cannot & should not be a "One Fits All" concept because each type of car has very different electronics. Now in the case of Tata these are dicor units manufactured bu delphi There are many such manufacturers eg bosch. Basically put the electronics of these kits should be harmonised with each other & properly tested.

While Petes has made a mark on the Indian scene the kind of nine pin computer connectors used in their kits are also not advised.

Maybe call Lalit Jogani at Four seasons or Pervez at Mazda motors in Tardeo & ask him for the better quality stuff thats available.

Cheers

D power

Most Viewed