Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2005, 12:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Bob Tuning - Alternative to Pete's ?

Ever since I got a response from Pete's to the effect that their tuning box wouldnt be available for Tata diesels, whether TDi/CRDi or not, I've been looking for an alternative for my Safari Dicor.

After a few inquiries supplemented by some Google-based research, I came across Diesel Bob's tuning kits Diesel Bob Tuning

Sent a mail asking them if their "Easy Tune" power upgrade that I identified from their site was a plug-in kit that would be suitable for the 3 litre Common Rail motor of the Safari and got a very prompt reply - considering it was a SUnday and Brits dont work on the weekends:
Hello Sir,

The TATA cannot use an Easy Tune power upgrade.

It can be tuned with the BOBBOX common rail or Eco-Tune Special, both devices listed & priced on the website.

Kind regards,

Diesel Bob.

Diesel Bob Tuning.

o2 mobile 07717 844088 (12pm - 8pm Mon - Fri, 9am - 6.30pm Sat) Office 01254 878790 or 820722 (10am - 6.30pm Mon - Fri) Fax 01254 820722

E-mail tuning@dieselbob.com

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk

***SPECIAL OFFER***
PURCHASE A POWER UPGRADE & RECEIVE DISCOUNT FOR RECONDITIONED &/OR UPGRADED INJECTORS.

IF IT'S DIESEL, BOBS YER MAN!!!!

What dyou guys think? Is it worth taking a chance, since I dont seem to have an alternative?

If anyone else is interested, let me know - lets try and get a bulk purchase and drive the prices down a bit. Obviously we wont have to bear the VAT component...

Last edited by Steeroid : 19th September 2005 at 12:09.
Old 19th September 2005, 14:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Steer, i saw adverts in overdrive and autocar of this month for a diesel tuning box by another company. They have dealers in india and you can contact them. do not recall the name of the company, but they have a full page ad in overdrive.
Old 19th September 2005, 14:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Steeriod, is this available for an Indica too, a Euro III one....

Tsk, would you recommend a tuning box to improve on the power on a brand new indica which has just done 623 kms??? If I shouldn't think about it for now, when do you suggest I can consider those options.... apart from that, are there any other devices which would help increase on power without a considerable drop on the economy.... My Indica is comfortably giving me 14 a litre of diesel now, I think....

Please post your views, G'men.

Tx... Ajay K
Old 19th September 2005, 14:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

All you can do to the indica is get a k&n filter . this may liberate about 2-5BHP. As for other modifications, i suggest not to touch anything till you finish off with the warranty period. Also these tuning boxes are for turbo charged vehicles, however they do have a range of "Agricultural products" for NA diesels which may be helpful, but dont know anything about how good are they.
Old 19th September 2005, 20:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Response from Bob to further inquiry:

Sent: 19 September 2005 13:14
To: abcdefgh@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Easy Tune Common Rail

The BOBBOX common rail requires use of a voltmeter & ideally a soldering iron, so yes, a technical understanding is helpful.

The unit works by manipulating fuel delivery NOT by any alterations to boost
pressure or injection timing.

Regards,

Bob.

>Hi Bob
>
> Is the Bob Box Common Rail a clip-on installation or does it require the
> user to have some amount of technical expertise? How does it boost
> performance, by the way - does it tweak the common rail injection system
> or does it play around with the turbo settings?
>
> I have already seen the listing and the pricing - some additional
> information would be appreciated.
>
> Best regards
>
> abcdefgh
>
Old 20th September 2005, 08:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Overdrive advert
Stein Baur tuning tech
PBOX

Available for all new generation turbo and crdi engines

Indian distributor
Rohan Standox Autolack
Ph: 56803331/2
The reward 220 Tardeo Mumbai
email sales@spraytec.net
Old 20th September 2005, 12:04   #7
BHPian

Hay guys pete's tuning box is very good product........
Old 20th September 2005, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED
Hay guys pete's tuning box is very good product........

I'm sure it is, but he cant supply boxes for Tata engines because its an Indian product and his box is developed in Belgium or some other european country where they havent heard of Tata diesel engines.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:32   #9
BHPian

Hey Steeroid,

These types of tuning boxes are actually available with all the tuners. Even PSI has them but the problem is getting them fixed. They are usually fixed on to the wires of the ECU harness and if you go wrong it can lead to frying your ECU. And the other problem is these boxes are sort of universal so you'll need to actually do the tuning yourself. They are mostly adjustable and unless you know what you are doing there wont be the type of increase you expect and usually ends up in a very untuned car. For the normal car owner it is a big hassle and that is one of the reasons why we dont offer this product. And moreover once you get such a unit to tune the Safari or any TATA car for that matter, you are taking the risk of trying to tune a car that has not been tuned before and we dont even know what sort of a tolerance the TATA Engineers have tuned the stock car to. Another point to note in this regard would be the use of superior electronics like microprocessors in a plug on unit like the Pete's. The maps would not be fixed so basically they would all be analogue electronics.

We therefore do ONLY cars that have been actually tested and run for thousands of km before it is actually brought out in the market for the customer to buy.

But again for a trail there is absolutely no problem in getting one set but I suggest you go to someone like Leelakrishnan to do the instal for you.

Have Fun,

Last edited by turboindia : 20th September 2005 at 12:36.
Old 20th September 2005, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

So are you saying that you're willing to supply a similar unit from PSI if I'm ready to take it to Leela for the install / tuning?

If yes, I'll take up your offer as soon as I finish my 10,000 km service interval.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:10   #11
BHPian

Sorry we cant offer you a similar unit because of the simple fact that PSI would give us a unit for only the cars they have tested on. They have not tested any TATA cars so we would not have any units for the same.
Usually a plug on unit is made for the cars which have more sales and ECU harness fit ins with cars that have less demand.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

I guess Bob's my man then, Pete.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

Would be interesting to see the effects on the Safari. Keep us posted Steeroid.

Pete, I really think you need to look into tapping this end of the market. There are a lot of Tata/Mahindra owners out there who would put their money down for a product that delivers.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:48   #14
BANNED

Anyone tried thermally isolated bigger air box with fresh air induction and bypassing the muffler and cat converter on their Safari or Scorpio, I had significant improvement on my Gurkha, the throttle response as well as top end improved, also the engine runs cooler and gives me more mpg in return.
Old 21st September 2005, 14:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
bypassing the muffler and cat converter on their Safari or Scorpio
Maybe you are referring to the resonator. They don't make cats for diesels now, do they?

On the topic: I am building such a system for my Indica..Full freeflow system from the manifold on..Will post the results as soon as its done...

Ananth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks