Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 09:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

@DGK , Nice project. Love the removable camper design.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great sense of creativity. Never thought that a 207 can be made to be used for this purpose. The detachable trailer is the uniqueness of this camper. Kudos to you Mr. DKG. BTW what material are you going to use for paneling the insides ?
Old 9th April 2010, 10:34   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_BOY View Post
Great project DKG. If you paint it white, it might actually blend in more with the truck.
That will be the final colour once I am done. It should look decent once painted. There are also some chequered plate cladding planned to make it look more aesthetically appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Never seen something like this. All the best for your project.
Thanks. I haven't seen anyone build a removeable camper like this in India. This just might be the first one (not that it matters )

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW what material are you going to use for paneling the insides ?
I plan on using white aluminium composite panels, like what they use for building exteriors. Its light and can be crafted to fit beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@DGK , Nice project. Love the removable camper design.
Thanks, the removeable part was the main aspect so the truck remains versatile and can be used for so many other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I see the number plates on VFR still on the old format of white in black. As per law, shouldn't you change it to black in white?
I had changed the plates to the correct ones sometime back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
A few questions
How is the camper fixed to the truck?
How do you plan to load the bike in the camper? Is it possible to take the bike out even when the camper is on the truck.
If you notice the truck without the camper it has a metal frame ahead of the load bed, like a loop. The camper has been designed in a way a u channel sits right onto the loop and locks in. Unless you elevate the camper it cannot move. Further I plan to fabricate four (atleast) quick release bolt on clamps that bind the camper floor to the truck bed. I should be able to scree and unscrew the clamp with winged nuts.

If you notice the left side of the rear of the camper it has a section built as a loading ramp. This has been reinforced to withstand the weight of a bike being loaded. With small 2 feet track extensions I get a 10 foot ramp which allows the bike to be loaded even while the camper is on the truck. Off the truck even without the extension the bike can be riden into the camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Another trick is to make roof collapsible/telescopic, because when you are traveling, you probably need no headroom at back. once camped, you can lift it up. This will reduce wind resistance.
That would have been ideal. I thought of doing it like that but the additional jacks and work it entailed made me opt for this simpler structure. If I ever do another camper I will try to build one with a collapsible roof.

Quote:
for toilet, you are better off using public facilities IMO. the other option would be to have a portable potty that needs to be drained periodically, a compact chemical potty (expensive), or a potty with connection to sewage (not possible to find a connection everywhere)
Honestly this remains the biggest challenge and I am yet to decide on what to do. I thought of an electric waste gate and pressurised washing system that could cleanse the tanks at the flick of a switch but its complicated and all the reading available on toilet designs states this can be messy on account of leakages. This really remains one of the biggest nightmares for RV design. How we take our home toilets and drainage systems for granted !!

Have you ensured there are no loose parts? truck bed sides that you have folded down, the camper itself, things within the camper? if you go through a rough patch/speedbreaker, things might unsettle/clunk.

Nothing will be loose inside, as you rightly state it can be mayhem on Indian roads !! The sides will be clamped to the legs with simple clamps

Quote:
EDIT: one more quick addition you can do is add a handmade front spoiler on the camper, which will increase you traction on the road as well keep the camper down to the truck at high speeds.
Thanks will keep that in mind. I will need to test this on highways and figure out whether some aerodynamic aids are required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very very interesting. Me likes.

How do you manage to find so much time? Us cubicle slaves can't imagine that!!
This is what I do half day Saturdays or Sundays. But with so many other hobbies and passtimes this gets spread over many many more Sundays. I am in no hurry but yes one does need to find time during the weekend to do stuff like this. A good four hours on a day gets a lot of work done though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Did you explore the possibility of the camper going a little wider than the body of your truck thus giving it little more room on the inside?

I thought about extending it to be a bit wider but then there's the nightmare of traffic and contantly monitoring the extra width. Already I am not too happy about those legs but it would have meant losing precious space within to merge them into the side profile. Purely from a safety point of view (more so for others on the road) I opted to stay within the existing dimensions of the truck to avoid scraping the sides accidentally. Already the height will limit me to main roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are they open section aluminum channels. Are you welding or bolting them to each other?
The main beams are L angles of very thick aluminium and the rest are all U channels as used in bus side construction.The bulk of the joints are done with solid rivets as used in bus construction. Since aluminium welding is not easy I plan on eventually taking it to someone who can do it and have extra welds placed if need be. But with the rivets its quite rigid and there's hardly any flex.

Quote:
Do you have an onboard air compressor.
There's loads of space under the bed so I plan on installing air tanks and feed it off a engine driven compressor as in trucks.

Quote:
Seen the guys at the RV park hook up to something. Easiest if you can buy those components and fit it.
The toilet remains a nightmare of a design challenge. Given its messy nature this becomes such a big problem to design effectively. Besides on road you don't have the kind of sumps RV's access abroad. I even have gone to the extent of thinking about having a clay tank baked which can simply be thrown out. Still unsure what to do

Last edited by DKG : 9th April 2010 at 10:35.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 10:38   #19
BHPian

Awesome stuff DKG.
I just cant imagine one doing the entire project by himself! Hats-Off.

Some questions that come to my mind.
1) Arent the peg legs too small, to balance when done on grounds other than concrete.
2) Wouldnt having a bigger panel beneath the leg, help in the above and also the overall stability.
3) Wouldnt the bed extension need a sitter on the cab roof, to prevent sitting on the roof when loaded with people.
4) Do You have plans for additional fuel tanks, batteries etc for Your camper.

Hats-Off again.

Edit: Voted 5-Starts for the thread.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th April 2010 at 10:41.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:46   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
do you have onboard compressor
I have picked up a tank as used on trucks. The compressor I still need to decide. Any leads? The idea is to pressurise while driving a few minutes before I plan to set it down. It needs only 100 psi to lift. The other bit is making sure the tanks have the volume to fill all four cylinders. I still need to calculate this bit on the volume, but can always add additional tanks under the truck bed depending on the requirement. Maybe I'll use a ARB compressor.

Quote:
2) Arent the peg legs too small, to balance when done on grounds other than concrete
3) Wouldnt having a bigger panel beneath the leg, help in the above and also the overall stability
Totally agree. I've been thinking about it myself especially if the site is wet in monsoon. Maybe I'll carry steel plates.

Quote:
Wouldnt the bed extension need a sitter on the cab roof, to prevent sitting on the roof when loaded with people.
Very valid point. I would never underestimate the weight of two adults and the resultant weight when the car goes into a ditch. What I plan on doing is install a cross bar on the roof of the truck with rubber mounts sitting right under the cantilevered extension just in case that additional support is needed.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2010, 11:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The toilet remains a nightmare of a design challenge. Given its messy nature this becomes such a big problem to design effectively. Besides on road you don't have the kind of sumps RV's access abroad. I even have gone to the extent of thinking about having a clay tank baked which can simply be thrown out. Still unsure what to do
You might've thought about this idea earlier, but still I thought of contributing my 2 paise - how about copying the design of toilet in an aviation?
Old 9th April 2010, 13:44   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might've thought about this idea earlier, but still I thought of contributing my 2 paise - how about copying the design of toilet in an aviation?
It uses a combination of vacuum and water to flush. But what next? Do they use an incinerator and evacuate the dust into the atmosphere? I can find out as a pilot is a friend

The challenge is in how you can efficiently and with minimal involvement dispose the dirt.

Some of you may think I'm crazy but I even thought of using the heat from the silencer to dry things !!!

Last edited by DKG : 9th April 2010 at 13:45.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I have picked up a tank as used on trucks. The compressor I still need to decide. Any leads? The idea is to pressurise while driving a few minutes before I plan to set it down. It needs only 100 psi to lift. The other bit is making sure the tanks have the volume to fill all four cylinders. I still need to calculate this bit on the volume, but can always add additional tanks under the truck bed depending on the requirement. Maybe I'll use a ARB compressor.
Sorry DKG, I absolutely have no clue about the compressors including ARB. I could only manage more questions for You
a) Arent diesel/petrol compressors portable/better suited
b) You might also want to look at those with pressure regulators, so that You can pump air into the tyres as well
c) I am sure the compressor wont be mounted externally, but if so they should withstand the weather also right.

Quote:
Totally agree. I've been thinking about it myself especially if the site is wet in monsoon. Maybe I'll carry steel plates.
How about attaching plates to the legs themselves, with flipping option. This way You dont have to worry about loosing them or them hitting someone on the road.

Quote:
Very valid point. I would never underestimate the weight of two adults and the resultant weight when the car goes into a ditch. What I plan on doing is install a cross bar on the roof of the truck with rubber mounts sitting right under the cantilevered extension just in case that additional support is needed.
DKG, Would it not be better if the extension rests on the roof all the times and not as a just-incase option.

Edit1:
I am waiting to hear from You about the weather protection, since the aluminium panels would make the camper one hot oven during summer. (No offense)

Edit2:
Silencer heat to dry(fry) the behind!!?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th April 2010 at 14:00.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:06   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
a) Arent diesel/petrol compressors portable/better suited
b) You might also want to look at those with pressure regulators, so that You can pump air into the tyres as well
c) I am sure the compressor wont be mounted externally, but if so they should withstand the weather also right

I have a 12v DC Truckair compressor which can handle upto pressures of 275 psi. But its a portable one and I thought it would be better to acquire something that gets fitted to the truck permanently. The compressor if dc will be mounted under the bed in a secure place reasonably free from dust etc.

The advantage of a electric drive compressor is you can activate it while driving. A petrol or diesel would firstly be overkill as I really don't need that much power unless I plan on running a generator too with the additional engine

Quote:
How about attaching plates to the legs themselves, with flipping option.
Will explore this option

Quote:
I am waiting to hear from You about the weather protection, since the aluminium panels would make the camper one hot oven during summer.
There will be an almost 2 inch thick polyurethane foam between the inner and outer skin. Refrigeration trucks use it so it must be the most efficient way to insulate.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It uses a combination of vacuum and water to flush. But what next? Do they use an incinerator and evacuate the dust into the atmosphere? I can find out as a pilot is a friend
Yes sir, I'm aware of this; I'm not sure if vaccum assistance can be incorporated here.

Quote:
The challenge is in how you can efficiently and with minimal involvement dispose the dirt.
How about something like the attached pic? Though I've drawn lines cutting the wheels, I intend to point out that the collection box to be put up in that area & easy to drain out also.

Pardon my ignorance & point out the mistake if I've done something out of eagerness to assist.
Building a truck camper : Home away from home-a1.jpg
Old 9th April 2010, 14:29   #26
BHPian

This is amazing!!
I see the vehicle is registered as a transport vehicle. Does the modification need to be endorsed by the RTO?
Old 9th April 2010, 14:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

waaaa , what a lovely VFR .

Coming to project ,
1.Do you plan to sleep at the top of the camper too?( at night it would be awesome ) .
I dint see a ladder to go to roof .

2.Why not add light weight foldable solar panels ( I have heard they are heavy ) to cover the entire top of the camper .At night they can be unfolded to have access to sit out or sleep at the top .But you have to plan where to store the output of solar panels and additional electric circuity .
Old 10th April 2010, 11:04   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to point out that the collection box to be put up in that area & easy to drain out also.
There's a lot of space for tanks under the bed. That is not the issue. The challenge is to evacuate the stuff efficiently without it being messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Does the modification need to be endorsed by the RTO?
Since its removeable I would prefer if its not permanently endorsed. Will sort that out once I finish it. May need to show it to the RTA for them to recommend. In the worst case scenario you get it endorsed as a closed commercial vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Do you plan to sleep at the top of the camper too?( at night it would be awesome ). I dint see a ladder to go to roof

Yes above the bed I have a large sunroof that allows you to step further up onto the roof. Infact even on the bed with the sunroof panels removed you get open sky

Quote:
Why not add light weight foldable solar panels ( I have heard they are heavy ) to cover the entire top of the camper .At night they can be unfolded to have access to sit out or sleep at the top .But you have to plan where to store the output of solar panels and additional electric circuity.
Solar panels sufficient to run all electrical needs may turn out to be very expensive. Maybe a few lights can be run with such panels. I plan a lpg tank for cooking purpose and maybe a lpg run engine for power generation too. Honda has such an engine

Last edited by DKG : 10th April 2010 at 11:06.
Old 11th April 2010, 00:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wow. DIYers are surely coming of age now. Excellent. Please post pictures as and when something new happens.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Excellent planning and execution, DKG any idea what is the weight of the fabrication?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks