Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 15:23   #46
BHPian

Very Impressive

Loved this thread and the project, definately very very impressive. Will definately be following it till I get to see the finished product. Great Job
Old 15th April 2010, 15:42   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hooked. Amazing project, and inspires me to dust all those ideas and see if any such DIYs are possible. Awesome stuff!
Old 15th April 2010, 16:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
It uses a combination of vacuum and water to flush. But what next? Do they use an incinerator and evacuate the dust into the atmosphere? I can find out as a pilot is a friend

The challenge is in how you can efficiently and with minimal involvement dispose the dirt.

Some of you may think I'm crazy but I even thought of using the heat from the silencer to dry things !!!
I must admit that whatever you are doing is a really fantastic and I am sure you must have invested a lot of time in research.

As far as I know and having worked with an airline for 4 years, here is how it works for an aircraft.

The vaccum and wated flush sucks the waste into a collection sump which is then sucked by a waste collection van when the aircraft is on ground,

I am not sure if this can work here..., have you looked at how it works in RVs?

All the best and looking forward to see the end product,

Regards,

Srisha
Old 15th April 2010, 18:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

How important is it to detach the truck from the camper at the camptsite? you are going to spend hours of your vacation unbolting and rebolting several bolts and nuts etc. Why not just leave it on the truck and build a step ladder. At your house you can build a docking station (raised platform) into which you bolt the camper and then drive off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
DKG - to answer your question. I think ^this^ is the way it works on airplanes as well, ie instead of the incineration & disposal steps you mentioned.
OT, Indian Airlines system is better than Indian Railways' system

Last edited by Mpower : 15th April 2010 at 21:38.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:47   #50
Team-BHP Support

He wants to unbolt it so he can drive the truck around in a more fun way -- as he said, with the camper on there he has to drive like an 80 year old! (After he's done all these fancy pneumatic jacking systems etc you are asking him to use a stepladder )

As for the Indian Railways -- that is very similar technology to what is used on the space stations.
Chances are, when you see a shooting star, its actually....
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 13:37   #51
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
Sir, I think a DIY composting toilet should be the easiest. Since the RV is already designed and fabricated, you could make the unit and fabricate a tent around it. can put it up once you set up camp, at the same time save space in the RV.
Composting toilet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have a bathroom tent as part of my camping equipment, that you need to set up as you mention. The idea though is to have something on the move, just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You just need a septic tank large enough so that you dont need to service it during the trip.
I can easily plan a large tank under the bed, there's tons of space under. I was planning an electric waste gate to this and have a regular ceramic w/c inside ( I understand this remains the top choice still in RV toilets) with a regular flush.

I was also planning a larger under bed tank for water with a 12 v dc pump which I can use to fill a overhead tank as needed.

So its basically two tanks that I need to add underneath. One for water and one for waste water

Quote:
Regarding the pneumatics. You might be able to get a 12VDC or a 220VAC electric compressor which you can run using an on board inverter. If you want to do belt driven look for the smallest CV that uses air brakes and the pump from it. (Tata 407?)
Thinking along these lines. Will get to deciding on this one soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
so when are you driving down to BLR with the camper?
I wish I had an extra day each weekend to finish this up quickly. Between my other hobbies and this invariably work proceeds at snail pace on this one, which is a pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The Sulabh Sauchalay organization has some toilets designed for rural use - minimal flush / convert to bio-fertilizer etc., you may want to investigate
Interesting, will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
its safe to go for a chemical toilet.
A portable one from Porta Potty or similar would be the last option. I want something which won't require maintenance spares from abroad though.

Quote:
a couple of additions that I would personally like
1. A small generator to power the camper when stationary.
2. Provision to enter the camper through the driver cabin.
Honda has a LPG based one. I was thinking if I opt for this one I can run that and the stoves off the LPG. Further I can drive up to a pump and refill LPG before a trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I absolutely love the pneumatic solution for lifting the camper off the bed
Would love to see a video of it in action!
Its a delight to watch. I don't have a digital cam but once I get one will upload a video of it in action. It looks like a spaceship getting ready to take off, with all the hissing sounds !!

Quote:
Also, i bet taking the bike off the camper is harder than getting it on there!
In the US guys are used to hauling and unloading massive Harleys off pickup beds. So reckon its only a matter of getting the technique right. Its very popular to load bikes onto pickup trucks so I figured I am not attempting something too crazy

Quote:
It would really suck if the camper sunk in overnight preventing the truck from reversing in under it.

I think under conditions where the soil may be soft its best to leave the camper on the truck.
On site the camper would be off the truck only if the truck is needed to get some supplies. But ideally it should remain on the bed. Once back home obviously it gets off on garage floor so I don't foresee that much of a problem with these feet

Quote:
Black12rr / DKG - take a look at this thread regarding solar panels etc. Similar theme as this thread.
Project Nomad : Solar panel for charging batteries
I kinda like the idea of solar panels for it. Infact I wanted the entire roof with panels. But they are expensive. Will check the thread out

Quote:
DKG - to answer your question. I think ^this^ is the way it works on airplanes
I checked with a pilot friend and he confirmed this.

Basically unless you have RV sites with drain facilities the only option is to drain the stuff somewhere along the highway, maybe by a field

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
have you looked at how it works in RVs?
The very large RV's have holding tanks which are connected to drains at RV sites and emptied.

Smaller campers like these have portable toilets which have a cassette that can be emptied into a drain

Some have incinerators which turn it into dust but it apparently lets off strong odours and is not too popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How important is it to detach the truck from the camper at the camptsite? you are going to spend hours of your vacation unbolting and rebolting several bolts and nuts etc. Why not just leave it on the truck and build a step ladder. At your house you can build a docking station (raised platform) into which you bolt the camper and then drive off.
One doesn't need to take the camper off at all. Only if you need to get some supplies and want to use the truck you can take it off and complete those errands. BTW it doesn't take any more than a few minutes to unhook and take it off. It would entail unscrewing four/six clamps, winged nut based, and simply flick a lever to raise the camper. You can take the camper off before you boil some water for tea !!

Last edited by DKG : 16th April 2010 at 13:43.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 13:46   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

You know the funniest part of RV design and a constant running joke in the house is how I intend to deal with sh*t on the move !! I have a new found respect for our home toilets and the Sewage Board of our cities !!

Last edited by DKG : 16th April 2010 at 13:49.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:23   #53
BHPian

@DKG - Excellent modifications undertaken.

one suggestion on the number "2" issue - If you intend to remove the camper of the truck you may have to incorporate the waste disposal stuff in the camper itself(I mean the waste tank). Locating it under the truck loading bay will be impractical(cannot use the toilet when truck is removed) and also involve removable plumbing.

For the cooking I would advice to go the electric route. More clean and less dangerous approach.Storing LPG tank, multiple piping for generator and for cooking will be complex and not so safe. A Petrol/Kerosene generator would be more practical and refueling would be more easy. Worst come You can go for the single stove designs that have the gas cylinder in built.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You know the funniest part of RV design and a constant running joke in the house is how I intend to deal with sh*t on the move !! I have a new found respect for our home toilets and the Sewage Board of our cities !!
The overall idea and engineering solution is amazing. I am hooked to this thread and would we waiting for the pictures of the finished product. Are you planning to patient the design?
Do you have any plans of adding some luxury items like a small LCD, DVD player or even a Dish (DTH) system?

It amazes me how much time this thread has spent talking about the subject (Stared). Well, consider it a luxury if you are able to get a clean solution. I am yet to see a good design that would remain clean and hygienic with so much of water being used. Friends here have spoken about enough options including Indian railways and Sulabh. All the best. I remember one of the North American Guests Joking after he had a good spicy meal an evening before. He said “I now know why people here wash. Paper can burn”.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:21   #55
BHPian

Good Work,

The project looks good.

Refer to the link attached below for further thought,

Johnno's Camper Trailers for Sale and Hire - Australia's Best and Largest Camper Trailer Supplier - Available Australia Wide

Utility Campers

Camping is major industry in Australia and they have a wide variety of options.
I think using canvas will improve your vehicle efficiency than using aluminium frames.
Using frames/canvas is subjective. So I would like to see the final outcome of this project.

Keep up the good work.
Old 17th April 2010, 10:20   #56
BHPian

Hats of to you my friend , what an effort. The execution to detail is something which even any big company building these camper vans for business cant match. Waiting eagerly for more pics DKG.
By the way you have a real cool collection of wheels, from timeless classics to the new age super bike, excellent excellent
Old 17th April 2010, 13:04   #57
Team-BHP Support

DKG, are you sure the camper weighs around 600 kgs right now? Since it is aluminium, and looking at the pics, it "looks" a lot lighter than that.

Also, is Aluminium the best material for this project? Wouldn't FRP (used in Tempo Trax Cruiser for example) plastics be lighter? But I guess fabrication/construction with FRP from home wouldn't be possible.
Old 19th April 2010, 14:23   #58
BHPian

Hey DKG! Great Project! Maybe you should drive down to Goa when this is ready! I saw your Pics with keen interest and have just detailed some of my points.
1. Those Pneumatic jacks may come in your line of sight in those rear View Mirrors(Prob. Fix- Get a rear view cam)
2. The Whole Camper body (with those Jacks) will definitely be a Prob with the Cops/RTO as they are wider than the Body of the 207. Pls Correct me if i am wrong here somebody, but would you not have to get clearance from the RTO for something like this. I mean Cops being cops would love to get some moolah if the entire JIG did not have some sort of approval. Would be a wet blanket when you go on those outings to other states!
Old 19th April 2010, 22:56   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
If you intend to remove the camper of the truck you may have to incorporate the waste disposal stuff in the camper itself(I mean the waste tank). Locating it under the truck loading bay will be impractical(cannot use the toilet when truck is removed) and also involve removable plumbing.
See I told you its not easy designing a toilet !!

Quote:
You can go for the single stove designs that have the gas cylinder in built.
Most likely this will be the option I will settle for

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Are you planning to patient the design?
No. I would be delighted if more DIYers in India do things similar, and would gladly help with design issues. Its more fun to camp with many more families !
Quote:
Do you have any plans of adding some luxury items like a small LCD, DVD player or even a Dish (DTH) system?
As a matter of fact I do intend to have a music system and a LCD panel for video. Would love to have internet on the go too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
DKG, are you sure the camper weighs around 600 kgs right now? Since it is aluminium, and looking at the pics, it "looks" a lot lighter than that.
You maybe right. I've lost track of the kilos of aluminium bought (should have filed all the bills in one file!) It could very well be about 450 kgs.

Quote:
Also, is Aluminium the best material for this project? Wouldn't FRP (used in Tempo Trax Cruiser for example) plastics be lighter? But I guess fabrication/construction with FRP from home wouldn't be possible.
Anything that is lighter and stronger than aluminium will obviously be a better product to use. I don't know why but I'm a big fan of aluminium. I think its a wild metal, really amazing in terms of its strength for its lightness.

I don't understand the strength aspects of FRP so I didn't attempt it but I am aware its widely used in camper fabrication. There have been issues with structural weakness and cracking with FRP though. The design has to be very sound. The shapes possible are mindblowing though with FRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
Hey DKG! Great Project! Maybe you should drive down to Goa when this is ready!
Now that's a hot desintation to head out to and camp by the sea !!

Quote:
Get a rear view cam
Already planned + a head cam too. Imagine forgetting that bunker above the truck's cabin. I am actually planning on pasting a sticker on the steering reminding me about the height !! Wish I could install a device on the roofline that works off a laser and warns me of a bridge not too tall !

Quote:
2. The Whole Camper body (with those Jacks) will definitely be a Prob with the Cops/RTO as they are wider than the Body of the 207. Pls Correct me if i am wrong here somebody, but would you not have to get clearance from the RTO for something like this. I mean Cops being cops would love to get some moolah if the entire JIG did not have some sort of approval. Would be a wet blanket when you go on those outings to other states!
If the width issue becomes the achilles heel I'll remove them to a jig at home to be used only to lift it off. Without the legs the camper is as wide as the load bed.

Last edited by DKG : 19th April 2010 at 23:01.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:01   #60
BHPian

A real sensible design, and aluminium is a definite answer t reducing weight as well as the paint work also should be easy , u could just sand it and then apply 1 k etch primer , which will take care of corrosion .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks